PC Gaming general discussion (Gaming PCs, game sales, news, etc...)

Hey thanks! I may just do that since it’s a zero effort thing to do.

I’ll buck the trends and recommend a Playstation controller instead. I think they feel much, much nicer to hold. Steam handles them natively and there’s a painless program you can download to ‘trick’ the Windows gaming platform into recognizing it.

I’d suggest going to your nearest gamestop and asking to hold both of them. Go with the one that feels better. Overall performance is basically identical, so everything else is secondary to your personal preference.

Ah, makes sense. I figured as much since so many are still gaming hardcore with i-7’s right now.

Things I learned when I installed two new identical RAM sticks last month:

RAM sticks have a sticker on them with all their identifying information (speed, latency, etc…) including a date from the factory. I was worried about mixing up the identical sticks with each other, but the ones I bought in late January were dated January 2021, and the ones I bought last month were dated September 2021. I don’t think it really matters, but I wanted to keep them paired together in the same channel instead of mixing and matching.

I turned off XMP in the BIOS before installing the RAM, but it turns out I totally didn’t need to. If you just turn off the computer, pop in the RAM and turn it back on, the computer will see that new memory was installed and will boot directly into BIOS so you can turn on XMP.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t noticed even the tiniest iota of performance improvement, but I have noticed a non-trivial amount of psychological satisfaction knowing that my “potential ram upgrade down the line” has been accomplished.

All psychological satisfaction is measured thusly, no?

:grinning:

If you don’t have gamepass, it’s $1 for 3 months if that deal is still running, and that has FH5.

Oh s***, I totally spaced that.

Yeah, I mean, for $1 I would be down for an SDMB racing experience. I haven’t started my 3 months yet…

4k/120 is ambitious, it’s rare and hard to utilize. People usually go one way or the other - 4k for the maximum graphical detail/fidelity but limited to 60 hz, or (more commonly) a lower res monitor, commonly 1440p, at 144+ hz for higher frame rates and smoothness. Unless you have some specific need for 4k, I recommend the latter.

You would have to have a very powerful rig to push out 120 frames at 4k in graphically intensive modern games, though it will become easier in the future. I find that 1440p is sufficient resolution for my needs.

Does such a video card actually exist in the world? It was my understanding that a 3090 is the best gaming card money can buy, and I don’t think it gets even close to that in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

In fact, checking again right now, on ultra settings it struggles to reach 50 FPS at 4K with a 10900K overclocked to 5.2, 32 GB RAM, and a 3090.

Thanks for the input. I did not know that was an issue. I did go with a 2k 144hz monitor, this one:

Absolutely great, nothing wrong with it and the response with mouse and keyboard or controller is off the chain. Hearing you say that about the difficulties of running such a monitor made me glad I paused on getting one due to the money being spent rather than performance so it sounds like I made the right decision by accident.

That’s why you need TWO 3090s! In SLI!

Summary

(Kidding, modern SLI support for games is terrible)

Which is why I thought all those ideas for the $17,000 gaming computer were horrible. Well, unless they want to have more than one person gaming at a time on it.

When this month’s windows update showed up in my taskbar, I figured the jig was up and it was going to force me to upgrade to Windows 11.

To my surprise and delight, it was remarkably easy to tell Windows Update that I wanted to stay on Windows 10. It then gave me the Windows 10 version of the update instead of installing 11.

I only mention this because I took a shot at Microsoft earlier in the thread about how I was expecting Windows 11 to install itself in a middle-of-the-night update within a week.

Of course that still could happen, but so far so good. I’m also happy that it was similarly easy to get the notification icon out of my system tray telling me Windows 11 was ready to install.

Windows 11 feels more like a summer of 2022 kind of thing to me.

Definitely not for MSFS - but there are probably some modern, graphical games that the setup you linked could push 4k/120.

Yes, that’s a good monitor. Any of the LG “nano-IPS” panels are very good.

Thanks, yeah it’s great and I’m limited on size due to apartment living with two teenage boys so a 27" is the largest I can fit with the desk I am using. Like I said, I’m glad that I bought this one instead of springing extra for something that I would not have been able to use.

I have a friend that plays PC games that tells me he prefers 4k and keeps telling me to hook this up to my TV in the living room and see what I think. Besides it being kind of a pain in the ass to phsyically move it, I am not so sure that any resolution improvement is going to make me like playing Far Cry, GTA V, Madden etc any better being stuck at 60hz. He claims the “atmospheric” effects for a game like Cyberpunk are worth it, but meh.

So these $1000+ priced monitors I see out there that have both 4k resolution and at least 120hz refresh rates need GPU’s that most people don’t even have then?

I’ve been using (wired) RockCandy Xbox 360 controllers with Steam for years and they work great.
$20 at Wally Mart and they’re plug and play, no driver or installs. I have some Steam games that do 4 player split screen and worked fine with 4 controllers.

I use wired Afterglow Xbox One controllers myself. Every time I try something wireless, I forget to turn the thing off and kill the battery.

I wish the Afterglow people would get together with Logitech and put out a lightsync controller.

Thanks, all, for the feedback! After I posted, I remembered that a couple of years ago my brother gave me his old PS2, but for a variety of reasons it’s just been gathering dust in a box. I snagged its controller and followed some online instructions, and now I’m using it to play Psychonauts 2. It works pretty well, although it sometimes freaks out and does unexpected things, and I’m not sure whether it’s because I’m pressing buttons like a freako or because it’s actually glitching; in any case, I’ll use it for the time being, unless/until I decide it’s worth investing in something schmancier.

Is there a city building game based on modern homesteading? I would play the s*** out of that if there is. Not that I ever would homestead, but I thoroughly enjoy fantasizing about a fully self-sustainable 5-acre homestead. Something like the following picture:

https://images.app.goo.gl/mx6RbQdTVoPKVghs7

A true to life simulation of this in a game would be perfect. Whatever solar panels can do today, that’s the size and output you get in the game.

As for gameplay, it could work just like any other city builder. Keep the occupants happy. Maybe you earn money somehow to pay for the solar panels and tractors and goats and everything.

I would just want to play it in creative mode and imagine various homesteads and how efficient they would be.

Any chance something like that exists?

I can’t think of anything that really hits all your marks. Games like Stardew Valley or My Time at Portia aren’t especially simulationist, I believe. Games like The Stillness of the Wind and upcoming Veil of Dust have more simulationist homesteading elements but they’re to convey a growing set story, not “Have fun farming and doing whatever”. They’re also not especially modern in a “solar panel” sense. Life is Feudal sort of combines them but puts it in a medieval 2hard4u MMO package that makes it decidedly less than casual fun.