"Penii"

[QUOTE=Polycarp]
…interurban bi…
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a travelling friend of mine. :slight_smile:

Nah, the truly feculent sprung pluralizations are found on Internet gamer sites:

katana, katanae. ninja, ninjae.

This should be punishable by death.

Yeah, well what about the whole data/datum, fora/forum nonsense? Huh? Hah? There are several good limericks in all this.

[QUOTE=Helen’s Eidolon]
Exactly. And the ENGLISH pluralization is ‘octopuses’.
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t realize, having only grown up speaking english that the commonly used word octopi is not an actual english word. It’s some sort of nonsense word that every single fluent english speaker understands the meaning of immediately. Silly me, thinking that the people who speak the language determine the makeup of the language.

[QUOTE=Helen’s Eidolon]
I have to admit, I think that, with very few exceptions, once a word has been borrowed into English, we should pluralize it like an English word and forget the older pluralization.
[/QUOTE]

“With very few exceptions”? Many words we’ve stolen have retained their original singular and plural inflected forms. Besides, there isn’t really a single set rule for pluralization in English: “oxen”, “children”, “criteria”, “matrices”, “plants”, “flies”… the list goes on and on.

My current pluralization pet-peeve is from World of Warcraft.

The plural of shaman is shamans.

Not “shamen” or just “shaman.” Shamans.

Gah!!! Even Blizzard only gets it right half the time.

[QUOTE=Helen’s Eidolon]
I can’t agree with you more. It’s like ‘octopi’. For heaven’s sake, just say octopuses!
[/QUOTE]
If one octopus has eight legs, wouldn’t two of them critters be a hexapus?

[QUOTE=Helen’s Eidolon]
I can’t agree with you more. It’s like ‘octopi’. For heaven’s sake, just say octopuses!
[/QUOTE]

And ignoring the correctness of the spelling wouldn’t the pronunciation be oct-o-pee instead of what I believe they say, oct-o-pie.

Doubly wrong!

[QUOTE=Musicat]
If one octopus has eight legs, wouldn’t two of them critters be a hexapus?
[/QUOTE]

No, that would be a hexadecapus. A hexapus would have six legs.

[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
No, that would be a hexadecapus. A hexapus would have six legs.
[/QUOTE]

I thought it would be an insect that has six legs.

[QUOTE=Cheesesteak]
I didn’t realize, having only grown up speaking english that the commonly used word octopi is not an actual english word. It’s some sort of nonsense word that every single fluent english speaker understands the meaning of immediately. Silly me, thinking that the people who speak the language determine the makeup of the language.
[/QUOTE]

It’s not my fault that some pretentious guy made up the word and other people listened. I would still feel stupid saying it, and do not look particularly kindly on the verbal skills of those who do say it.

[QUOTE=Helen’s Eidolon]
Exactly. And the ENGLISH pluralization is ‘octopuses’. Not the fake, incorrect, pretentious ‘octopi’.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but “octopi” sounds better than “octopuses.” It’s our damn language, we can pluralize however we want.

[QUOTE=Miller]
Maybe, but “octopi” sounds better than “octopuses.” It’s our damn language, we can pluralize however we want.
[/QUOTE]

No, I think there should be a law enacted. Death to all octopi-ers!

But seriously, obviously you can pluralize it however you want. Doesn’t mean that it isn’t dumb.

[QUOTE=kaylasdad99]
I thought it would be an insect that has six legs.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, and spiders have eight legs. What’s your point?

Since we’re on the subject of pet peeves: I’m an alumni of that school.

[QUOTE=Cheesesteak]
I didn’t realize, having only grown up speaking english that the commonly used word octopi is not an actual english word. It’s some sort of nonsense word that every single fluent english speaker understands the meaning of immediately. Silly me, thinking that the people who speak the language determine the makeup of the language.
[/QUOTE]

I agree - language is determined by usage. And, to that extent I suppose penii is a legitimate plural for penis in English.

Similarly for katanae in the restricted dialect of internet gamers - that’s the plural and that’s that. Lord knows the Japanese have butchered a good proportion of the English language - most people just can’t see it, being unable to read katakana.

Rather, my beef is with the people. Often, certainly in my experience, the person who says penii is being pretentious and trying to assert their superiority. Fine, I suppose, if they really are classically educated and say penes - what really drives me up the wall is those who combine arrogance with ignorance.

(And it is ignorance in this case - my friend certainly believed that the latin plural is penii, and that ‘knowing’ this makes her better than other people).

britboy

This was covered recently - and somewhat heatedly - in Great Debates: link here. “Octopi” is still wrong.

[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
Yes, but octopi is a proper Latin pluralization. Penii is not. Using the word octopi may be pretentious, but at least it’s correct.
[/QUOTE]

Como talle vu, Q.E.D.?

[QUOTE=Scissorjack]
This was covered recently - and somewhat heatedly - in Great Debates: link here. “Octopi” is still wrong.
[/QUOTE]

I can’t believe I missed that. I also cannot believe, CANNOT BELIEVE, that a board as generally educated as this would say Pliny was responsible for anglicizing the plural of ‘pegasus’ as ‘pegasi’. His translator, maybe. But he himself wrote “pinnatos equos” (so the nominative would be pinnati equi - feathered horses). Pliny had nothing to do with the anglicization of anything.

[QUOTE=Q.E.D.]
Yes, and spiders have eight legs. What’s your point?
[/QUOTE]
Sweet Mother of Mercy! I need to have a point?

Well, let’s give it a shot. SDMB threads, particularly on language and usage issues, often become more fun for the reader when some silliness gets thrown into the mix. My point was to get the ball rolling, by pretending to not understand the concept of the excluded middle.

I guess it wasn’t as funny as I thought it would be…