Penn & Teller's schtik - I don't get it.

Whoops, guess I should be paying closer attention to other posts before I link to things! :slight_smile:

1:53 is amazing.

I read somewhere that at a magic convention they once performed as “Teller & Penn”, doing each others traditional roles. At one point Teller is supposed to have paused from talking non-stop to say, “Wow, this is harder than I thought…”

No, the big loud one is the assistant. But he plays the magician.

I think I’ve been whooshed. I certainly did not understand it.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I’ve never seen more than 5 minutes of their magic act, so my largest exposure to them has been “Bullshit”. The silence doesn’t work well on Bullshit, but I guess it is such a part of their act that to change it for “Bullshit” wouldn’t work.

I don’t know much about their magical act, or their talent level, so it sounds from most of you that replied that they are very good, and Teller isn’t as annoying on stage as he is during the show.

Which is good, because it is so awkward on the show that I wouldn’t go see a magic act by Penn and Teller. Maybe that would be worthwhile

This is a version of the first trick I ever saw them do, and I still think it’s a great example of their style.

I don’t think Teller’s silence hurts P&T:B! at all. You’re the only person I’ve ever heard who’s had an issue with his not talking.

Stink Fish Pot, I think that Bullshit! is the least interesting thing that Penn and Teller have done. Their usual on-stage act is that Penn talks and distracts you from having any chance of noticing how Teller is doing his magic tricks. Penn can only talk so much, since the magic tricks are the real point in their act. Bullshit! consists of a documentary on the application of skepticism to some prominent subject. Penn narrates the documentary while Teller does magic tricks in the background. To whatever extent the documentary is good, it isn’t helped by Penn’s narration.

While I’ve got all o’ you magic admirers in the same thread together, can I ask if any of you will explain how to do a particular trick I’ve seen done with a Zippo lighter, whereby the magician flicks the lighter on, ‘steals’ the flame between his finger and thumb, and then puts it back on again? I’ll then have another bash when the finger and thumb on my left hand has healed.

I’m going to put it out there that I love P&T. I haven’t seen them do something yet that I haven’t enjoyed. Some things I have liked more than others, but I’ve never seen them and said, “Gosh, that was dumb.”

There’s a quirk to Zippo lighters; you can “snuff” the flame without putting it out, then re-light it with a small hand motion. It’s shown in this video: Squeeze It Lit. It’s also explained in detail here: “Twilight Zone”.

Wow, some people think they’re a lot cooler than they actually are.

Agreed. I do enjoy many episodes of Bullshit!, but the quality is pretty variable, and it’s really not a good showcase for what Penn & Teller are about. (Which is first-rate magic performances.)

Just wanted to read that again…

In the stage show, Penn is annoying - on purpose. He’s big and loud and pulls of a very funny version of “I think I’m funnier than I am.”

Its almost certainly worth watching some YouTube of their act. Its very good.

Both are - by almost all reports - really nice guys to their fans as well. I know people who knew them way back on the RenFaire circuit and they had a good reputation for being good guys back then.

hehe. Asking about that trick made me think about that video, which dates from the era when having your own website was still A Big Deal, probably 15 years ago. The video was made to promote zippotricks.com, which I’m pretty sure folded around 2005.

I absolutely love them. To the point of seeing them multiple times in Vegas as well as being addicted to their Showtime series.

One time after an afternoon of heavy drinking on the strip, I sat down to see the show. I tried for a very long time to control the urge to rid myself of several Cosmos to no avail. I worked my way to the aisle, proceeded up towards the back and spotted Teller who, as part of the routine, was hiding inconspicuously in the shadows of the theater. I mouthed “I am soo sorry” and he whispered back with a wink, “no problem”. I always felt quite honored to hear him actually SPEAK!