People way older/younger than you thought they were

James Lipton of The Actors Studio just turned 87.

Wow, me too! Looks about 14!

My contribution is Tory Bellaci, from Mythbusters. I haven’t seen new eps in a while, but he always looks and acts like he’s in his 20’s. He’s 43.

Over the course of the last Presidential election, I must’ve looked up Mitt Romney’s age ten different times, simply because whenever it would come up in a conversation, and would try and remember how old he was, my brain would recall “mid-sixties” and I’d think “naw, that can’t be right” and go look it up.

He looks about a decade younger then he is.

Elizabeth Warren to, actually. Massachusetts must have something in the water.

I was surprised to find that Rory Kinnear, who’s probably most well-known for playing Bill Tanner in the most recent James Bond films, is only 35. I would have guessed that he was up to a decade older. A bit more research showed that this is no doubt a trait that he inherited from his father, Roy Kinnear, who was only 37 when he played Veruca Salt’s father in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

1st name I thought of opening the thread.

James Lipton blows me out of the water. I had NO idea he was that old. I would have guessed early 60’s at worst. Wow, just wow.

Chuck Norris definitely doesn’t look like he’s in his 70’s but I don’t know if I’ve seen a recent image of him.

I don’t think I have any of my own to add, unfortunately.

Jim Parsons (Sheldon from Big Bang Theory) is 40. I’d have guessed 30.

But the older I get, the harder it is to guess ages of people younger than me, which is almost everybody.

Professional athletes in general usually seem older to me than they actually are, perhaps because I tended to idolize them when I was a kid.

It’s come up in discussions of her new series but Ming-Na Wen looks far younger than her actual age of 49. (One of the posters who didn’t like the show complained about them casting a bunch of 28-year-olds.)

When I started watching “Are You Being Served”, I always assumed Mr. Rumpole (Nicholas Smith) was twice the age of Mr. Lucas (Trevor Bannister). Turns out they were both 38 when the series started.

I think actress Melissa George can pass for mid-20s. She’s 37.

Benny Davis from The Axis of Awesome comedy rock band. I thought he was much older than the other two, maybe early 40s. Turns out he’s 28 and several years younger than the other two. Oops.

Also, when I used to watch Hawaii Five-0, it blew my mind that Scott Caan is only one day older than Alex O’Loughlin. I would have pegged the gap at more like 10 years from looking at him.

Maybe it’s a matter of a wrong first impression, but I’m surprised every time I find out Miguel Bosé’s age (again). The first time I saw him on TV I took him for a specially awkward and insecure 17yo: he was 24 and had already published several records.

When Jennifer Grey starred in Dirty Dancing, she was 27, something like 50% older than her character. That was a surprise.

The 2011 Doctor Who Christmas Special, several people in the thread about it on this board thought Alexander Armstrong looked much too old to be with the woman playing his wife. I agreed. She was actually five years older than him.