People's perceptions of Illinois and their residents

I happen to live in Chicago, but moved here from my homeland of Iowa… so needless to say it is quite exciting compared to the latter. Most midwestern states have the same types of people (excluding big cities) - hard working, humble, modest, and decent . Not the most exciting people in the world, and there is definitely the time-warp going on when I go back to visit. I could never move back, but appreciate the differences in those kinds of people. It’s nice to be around people every now and then that are simple and comforting.

My wife is from So.Ill. and we own a house in Du Quoin (where my MIL lives). When we tell anyone in California about our trips to Illinois, they always ask in relation to Chicago. We tell them we’re so far south, we fly into St. Louis to drive to the house, and have gotten used to describing Southern Illinois as “think…Kentucky”.

If it weren’t for the weather, Chicago would be a top tourist spot and a great place to live.
Unfortunately, there is the weather…hot and humid in the summer, cold and windy in the winter.

I grew up in a small town 80 miles SW of Chicago.

As a kid, my mantra while mowing the grass was, “I have to get out of here. I have to get out of here. I have to get out of here.”

The day after I graduated from SIU, I left Illinois for good. Still have family back there, but sorry - the only way I would move back would be at gunpoint.

I did, however, like what Gov. Ryan did regarding the parden of death row inmates. I am not against the death penalty, but knowing how corrupt the police in Illinois are, I can assure you there were more than one or two falsely imprisoned guys on death row.

To paraphrase and old joke:
The best thing to come out of Illinois is Interstate 80.

Near Cairo, most pronounce it “Kay-ro,” like the syrup.

We think of Illinois as a southern state and your weather is too darn hot.

Thanks. Lorenzo.

Illinois people drive like bats out of hell when not in Illinois, and like blue haired grannies when in Illinois.

You have tarred with a broad brush, my friend.

I live in Illinois, and have for my whole life, so I’m not what you’d call an impartial witness.

Yes, the winters do suck. Yes, summer is wicked evil humid. And, darn it, it’s really flat. (I’m in central IL). We also have much fun (hurk) with urban sprawl.

As a kid, however, I got to detassel corn. And I wasn’t a farm kid either. :slight_smile: I caught bluegills on a cane pole using worms I dug up in the backyard. I saw white-tail deer out my back window, using the salt lick my parents put out for them. I made plaster footprints of raccoons, muskrats, geese, and other assorted wildlife.

I’m less than 3 hours from Chicago, St. Louis, and Indy. My town is home to several colleges and several large companies.

And in the autumn, the leaves are beautiful along the Spoon River Valley.

:eek: Try being in Will County. I got to watch all the fields near us where I used to let my dog run free (with dad’s help) turned into major housing places. Heck, we even moved a few blocks down into one of them after a while. We’re losing all our farms. So at least that is changing!

Shadez

Sorry for the aside, but is that more a problem in the northern and eastern parts of Will County? Isn’t the southern part still a bit less developed?

I also thought of more about Illinois – rivers. There’s a lot of rivers in that state.

Never think of them at all.
Nothing personal.

Hey! At least we’re not IOWA!!!

Shadez I agree 100% with you about Will County. Used to be corn fields everywhere, now there are neighborhoods and overcrowded schools :frowning:

Close. Northern and western parts of Will County. Joliet, my city, is probably the biggest gobbler of farm land in Chicagoland. Heck, we’re even literally spilling over into other counties. While eastern Will County is losing farmland too, I’m always surprised how much simply unused land they have. Not a farm or a housing project, just an empty plot of land until a gas station or something moves in.