Pepper bellies

Oh, to rhyme with barbeque? I was trying to pronounce that in some sort of French way!

Kansas farm girl checking in - they’re Frito Pies to me. They were the best thing about Sonic. That and their tater tots. Together. Artery-hardening yumminess!

My cat’s 8 months old. I wonder if it’s too late to change his name…

(to Pepper Belly, not Frito Pie)
It’s been several decades since I went to a fair, but I remember this batter that they’d squirt in long ropey strands out of a ketchup bottle into hot oil. They’d turn the whole thing over and cook it, then drain it, sprinkle powdered sugar on it, and serve it on a paper plate. What are those called? That was my favorite thing.

Edit: Funnel cakes! I remembered as soon as I hit Submit.

Try Texan… :stuck_out_tongue: Free-toe-key

Mmmm…Frito Pies!!

We always got them at the A&W where I grew up. Back in those days the Frito bags were all “silvery” inside…anybody remember that? They weren’t made from the plastic or mylar stuff they use now. And I remember they always slit the bag on the side, not the top, I think that’s where the “walking taco” nomenclature comes in, cuz on it’s side the bag kinda looks like a taco.

My brother moved to Iowa and saw an A&W…“Frito Pies” was his first thought. But when he asked them for one they had no idea what he was talking about. He was quite heartbroken. He says he tried making them at home but it just wasn’t the same.

Sonic has them as a special sometimes but they do them more as a nachos style snack. The Fritos in a little tray, chili, cheese and onions over the top. Again, not quite the same, but still yummy!

Also, for the “afraid of sogginess” crew…remember, Fritos are pretty thick and hardy, they stay crunchy for a long time. And once you eat that first bite it doesn’t stick around for long (outside your stomach, that is).

I’m a freak, I can’t eat raw onions or any raw member of the onion/garlic family. However, when I make this dish, I make my portion separately, because it is only right and proper that Frito Chili Pie shall have diced raw onions on it for the main part.

I put down a layer of chips in a microwave or oven proof container, pour chili on top of it, then put shredded cheese and diced onion on top of that. I stick this in the microwave or oven and heat til the cheese is all gooey and melty. Despite what you’d think, the chips don’t get soggy unless they’re left for quite a while. And only Fritos will do, preferably the smaller size. I always serve it in a bowl or plate, with a fork or spoon. I’ve never served this in the cut open bags.

We like Frito pies while we watch guilty pleasures movies. My husband also likes them when he watches sports. Apparently, eating Frito pie while watching football is the ultimate in sports watching.

I think that the next cat I get will have to be named Pepper Belly, Frito Pie (for a calico/tortoiseshell), or Snooch.

See, you understand and we’re all good. I’d make you your own separate FCP with no onions if you were at my house, and I wouldn’t call ya names or nuthin’. :wink:

Definitely.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a knock-off Frito chip? I’ve been meaning to ask this for a long time, or maybe did once but didn’t get much feedback.

I can buy store-brand potato chips, knock-off Cheetos, and approximately 973 kinds of tortilla chips (being here in TexMex country).

I’ve never seen another brand of Frito-type corn chip. Does such a thing exist?

QH. :wink:

I never heard of the Rosamond Community Fair. When did they stop having it?

Probably 1970 or 1971. I was still in Grade School/Junior High (nothing like advertising my age, eh?) when it was going on. It ran four or five years, along with the Little Britches Rodeo. It was getting to be good-sized, then they broke the rodeo away from the fair and it all went pffft. Had a decent carnival, even.

Just got back from the market. Anyone care to guess what I’m eating right now?

“Pepperbelliies, Pepperbellies! Come and git yore pepperbellies! Just one dollar! Support the Rosamond Volunteer Firefighters!”

Yep, I’ll have seconds, alrighty!