Perseverance rover on Mars (was: Mars lander set for Feb 18th landing)

Humming tunelessly to yourself is one way to cope with existential terror.

Too bad we didn’t get a shot of the heat shield hitting the surface. I figured it would look like Wile E. Coyote.

It would be interesting to see what’s left of the descent module. But sending the rover in that direction instead of places pertinent to its science mission would be rather frivolous.

On a different topic, it was mentioned during today’s press conference that there is a Linux box on the rover based on an Intel platform (I didn’t catch what chip, but I presume something old and ruggedized). The video compression is done on that box using FFmpeg. FFmpeg is a very flexible open-source command-line program that runs on many different platforms. I use it all the time myself on Windows. Once you figure out all its commands and switches it can do almost anything in terms of video processing or reprocessing. Whoever originated FFmpeg or contributed major pieces to it must be very proud that their handiwork is on Mars.

Hello Earth! Barnacle Bill here. Remember me? Of course you don’t.

I’m a rock on Mars. Surprised that I have a Straight Dope account? You shouldn’t be. You see, I was a celebrity once - one of the biggest! I was “discovered” in 2012 by one of your rovers - actually, I had been sitting in the same spot for millions of Earth years, doing quite well thank you. Anyway, this thing arrived from your planet, in search of organic molecules or some shit. I happened to be nearby, and pictures were taken and everyone went nuts! For a few days, at least, I was a huge, huge deal. I even had to hire a publicity agent. Big mistake. It cost a lot.

Now here we are in 2021 (Earth years; did I hear someone say the word “parochial”?), and I congratulate you all. Seriously, I’m happy. You have a new toy to get all hysterical about, and no doubt will be shining your beneficence one some other poor native, who don’t know what he’s in for. Good luck anyway.

I have one thing to say, just a quick reminder: Fame is fleeting. Buh-bye!

Too bad we didn’t get a shot of the heat shield hitting the surface. I figured it would look like Wile E. Coyote.

Ten thousand years from now - “Mom, look what I found!”

For those wondering about the heat shield, we actually did get to see the MER Opportunity heat shield up close; it landed in an area that made sense for the science mission to visit.

nm…

Did you want an autographed picture? Okay.

(I have cartons of them. I’d ask someone to take them off my hands, except I have no hands.)

Shipping is probably a bit extreme.

I was going to ask how did you sign it if you don’t have hands, but I guess you took the pen in your mouth… oh wait.

He used his prehensile tai … um.

Never mind.

Actually, Barnacle Bill was discovered all the way back in 1997.

Like, Barnacle Bill–that’s sooo 20th Century!

Right, 1997, that’s what I meant to say. Go ahead and make fun. I’m so lonely!

Don’t worry, we’re sending you friends.

And Elon Musk wants to come visit.

Oh come on, Bill feels bad enough already.

Gosh, really Elon Musk? He’s going to come visit me, personally? An important guy like that? Are you sure?

Look, don’t patronize me. I know I’m not “movie star” material. I had an igneous origin that left a lot of scars. So of course they had to give me a stupid name - “look at that clown, bet the gals are swooning - we’ll call him Barnacle Bill and let Manuel Noriega know he’s got a rival for Worst Complexion, Solar System Division”.

I get it. Other Martian rocks get cool names, like “Goulburn Scour” or “Jake Matijevik” - those could be the bad guys in a James Bond movie. Me, on the other hand, I’m just pocky old Bill. Don’t bother drilling into me looking for evidence of ancient flowing water - guy looks like he’d pass out if he ever got near a bathtub.

Enough self-pity. If Elon really cares, tell him to send a nurse (hopefully cute) and a ton of retinoid ointment.

B.B. out!

Well, bear in mind, Bill, Sojourner was back when the invading Earthling robots were still in their “little and cute” phase. The more recent ones have motherfucking laser beams, for the express purpose of drilling holes in rocks–so count yourself lucky!

Quoth the parachute, DARE MIGHTY THINGS:

Scott Manley does a pretty decent analysis of the descent:

Percy did catch sight of a dramatic smoke plume over the ridge, where the skycrane crashed.