HEY!
at the twilight’s last gleaming?

My dream set for the halftime show:

Grizzly Bear
Oneida
Michael McDonald
Schnauser
Zager & Evans

Well, I was actually responding to Odesio’s post.

And he corrected my impression of what he meant.

My point wasn’t necessarily that acts such as Aerosmith, Phil Collins, U2, etc., were interesting. My point was that, being mainstream musical acts, they wouldn’t necessarily be called “f@g sh!t” by anyone. And he stated he wasn’t referring to the acts, he was referring to the pomp and circumstance, i.e. choreography and costumes of the Super Bowl show. My point was about the acts. I missed his point and stand corrected. My point wasn’t about the interestingness of the shows, however. Maybe they could have benefited form a dose of “f@g sh!t”.

Hey Blondebear, I’m a lifelong Townshend fan as well. Thought you might enjoy this piece written a couple of years ago by his daughter. It includes this pertinent bit (but it’s got lots of other bits):

Ignoring the hijack, to those who argue that this is more of the same old acts I would say: when I heard this, my first thought was to agree. Then, I thought, yes, it’s the same old safe geriatric choice (and I like The Who,) but at least this time they have an excuse.

Where’s the Super Bowl being played?
Is there a TV show with the location’s name in its title?
What is the theme song to that show?

Voila! Excuse!

There’s a TV show with Opa-Locka in its title?

CSI: Miami theme song Won’t Get Fooled Again

(I had to look it up)

I’m not trying to provoke blondebear, since she takes any speculation about pete as a personal attack, but I think that being on a sex offender list is a substantial affront to anybody that is innocent. If I had pete’s money, I would blamed well make sure that my name got off of it, if it was just a ‘technicality.’ That is something that one doesn’t put up with for the sake of convenience.
I rather like Pete, myself, having grown up with him, and I think that he was the real star of the Who set on "Woodstock’. But the whole story just doesn’t sound right. This is said by a person who used to quite readily believed the guilty when they said that they were innocent. At least, I believed it until a few months after they were proved to be liars, and only a month or two after they themselves had admitted it. I would always make some excuse, such as the technicality defense, or were pressured into it, etc…And I usually, if not always, was disappointed to find that they had been guilty. (Won’t get fooled again, eh?)
Pete’s ‘big mouth’ isn’t a good enough reason for his Jackson statement (unless, IMHO, it was a surprise question)Pete is too much of a genius to not have thought it through, if he had had the time.

At any rate, for the Super Bowl, the Who is just fine. I mean, seriously, they aren’t going to chase the ball around; it’s entertainment between the halves.
hh

hh,

I’m just standing up for someone I respect and admire. And, to set the record straight, I’m not a “she”. :wink:

It WAS NOT a surprise question. It was on his blog, on his website

The audience for the halftime show is not the players, but the people who bought tickets to the event. They are probably twice (even close to 3 times) the age of the players on the field, and quite contemporaneous with those ‘old’ halftime acts.

They had a good amount of younger artists but that stopped with the wardrobe malfunction. Since then it’s been all groups/guys from the 70s or 60s. They probably will go back to younger people eventually.

Sad, but true. I’ll probably never attend a Super Bowl in my life, but at 52, I still listen to bands whose members are 10-15 years older than me. That easily includes, The Who, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, and Bruce Springsteen, just to name some that have or will play at the Super Bowl since 2004.

They had a mix of old and young when Britney Spears sang with Aerosmith , NSync was also there that year. They had a mix before that such as Christina Aguilera and Phill Collins and Boys II Men with Smokey Robinson.

Yeah, but Jackson weren’t no spring chicken when she dropped her top.

hh

“After four months of investigation by officers from Scotland Yard’s child protection group, it was established that Mr Townshend was not in possession of any downloaded child abuse images. He has fully co-operated with the investigation.”
-Scotland Yard statement

If it’s good enough for Scotland Yard, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

Lots of info here: http://www.petetownshendisinnocent.com

Hell, I can’t think of any band I like whose members are younger than me (I’m 27). I thought one or more of the members of Muse might be my age but they’re all in there thirties.

It’s just possible that the site you linked to might not be totally neutral on the issue. :smiley:

The quote is from Scotland Yard, though. It is factually true that they could not find any illegal images in Townshend’s possession. He didn’t get caught with CP and then come up with a “research” excuse after the fact. He just didn’t have any CP period.

You missed the point. The Super Bowl is not technically taking place in Miami, because Land Shark Stadium (or whatever it will be called by the time the game is played) is outside the city limits.