Philadelphia building collapses

I don’t see the economics of that Gaffa (or anyone). While it sounds reasonable they would do that in the third world, bricks are pretty cheap–and reused bricks are going to be of lower quality than new bricks, with many damaged/unusable from this recycling process.

Such bricks are recycled not so much for their building properties but for the aesthetic - they would be used, as noted far upstream, to line garden paths, or as part of a brick facade to add “character” much as distressed wood recycled from a barn is used as a decorative item.

As far as irrelevant “dirt” on someone - when news occurs the talking heads seek out information on the people involved and these days are inclined to regurgitate whatever they find, related to the story at hand or not.

The names of those killed have been released and the AP did a fairly nice write-up.

Exactly. Old bricks are more expensive than new.

It made the front page of the BBC and CNN websites the day it happened.

As for why it wasn’t even bigger news, accidents with single-digit death tolls are rarely Big Stories unless there’s a celebrity or a shark involved.

Three things:

Although I know what they’re trying to say, it was morbidly funny today that our local newsrag contained this sentence: “Officials are trying to determine what role the demolition had in the collapse.”

I’d guess the reason people are talking about the insurance fraud and bankruptcy, at least, is the insinuation that the collapse might be some sort of insurance scheme like arson sometimes is. Such implication seems iffy to me, especially this early in the investigation.

Lastly, where are the Truthers on this? “Buildings don’t just collapse, even when something severe happens to them” like a strike from an airplane full of jet fuel, or demolition, is one of the cornerstones (heh) of Truther denialism. Well, here’s another “collapse” for them; why aren’t they jumping all over it?

Within 24 hours of the collapse, we have our first lawsuit filed

Oh, the horrors, more than 10 whole minutes! Was the search & rescue/recovery even done before your lawyer filed the suit? Ms. White, six people died, you think maybe you could wait until they’re buried, or at least until their bodies cooled off before you filed. :rolleyes:
There are multiple local & federal agencies involved in investigating, including the potential for criminal charges, do you really think evidence is going to be destroyed that quickly?

I know right. How dare someone try to collect recompense for almost dying due to someone elses incompetetance. Assholes.

Not far from my apartment (hi neighbors!), I’ve been to that Salvation Army. My co-worker’s friend left it 30 seconds before the collapse!

I’m far from shocked. We call it Philthy for good reasons.

Six died. (I believe) five spent the night in a hospital, with at least one in critical condition. She was treated & released, which means her injuries were relatively minor, yet it sounds like either she went from the hospital right to the lawyer’s office or was he sitting at the hospital exit waiting with a pen in hand. I never said she shouldn’t sue, but by not waiting for the dust to settle (literally) it screams of “Payday”. Given it’s Sueadelphia, I’m not at all surprised, just disgusted by it.
So, yes, I do think she’s an asshole.
Now the excavator operator has been charged with six counts of involuntary manslaughter & other charges; sounds like he was just a wee bit stoned.

BTW, from Mr. Miskatonic’s Pit thread about the subject, video taken a couple days before the incident of the crack demolition team at work:

Seems even then the excavator was at risk of knocking something into the Salvation Army store’s awning – when the whole Hoagie City sign comes crashing down part of it lands in the store’s sidewalk.

Then he calls over Hank and says “I might have fucked up.”

Little does Hank know, he ain’t seen nuthin’ yet.

Tonight’s news reported that the excavator operator had high levels of marijuana and Percocet in his system while operating the excavator. The city did not know demolition had started at the site until complaints started coming in. The Department of License and Inspections also said that heavy machinery was not allowed to be operated at the job site. If they’d seen heavy machinery during the May 14[sup]th[/sup] inspection, a stop work order would have been issued.

Heavy machinery not allowed? How do they expect a demolition to be done without one?

Explosives!

They call out for Kool-Aid?

Current news reports state that city regulations require that buildings being demolished when adjacent to an occupied building must be demolished by hand.

Inspector in Philadelphia collapse commits suicide

http://news.yahoo.com/inspector-philadelphia-collapse-commits-suicide-125935627.html

I just came in to post that story, johnpost. Helluva thing, eh.