Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS (spoilers likely)

Interesting. I’m starting to think about re-reading the first one, but not the other two. Probably I won’t, though, because the end was just too much for me–I don’t even like to look at them. I’m thinking more seriously about re-reading some of his other books.

Although I’m sure that everyone here is perceptive enough to have picked this up, I want to be perfectly clear that I was mostly joking in my last post. (We need a emoticon for the twinkle in the eye you have when you’re saying something ironic with a straight face.)

However, as someone once said: To my extreme mortification, I grow wiser every day. And with particular thanks to Skald and Case Sensitive, you folks have definitely given me some food for thought about HDM. Even though I’ve recommended it to many people since I first picked it up, I’ve never had an extended conversation about it with anyone. So this thread has served as the seminar I never got, and I appreciate it.

Even though I just picked up a couple of Elmore Leonards and a Jim Thompson for some light summer reading, I guess I’ll have to go through HDM again.

BTW, have any of you seen Lyra’s Oxford? It’s a thin little hardbound book with a little mystery featuring Lyra that’s unrelated to the main story of HDM.

Oh, I assumed it was a book about Oxford, like those ‘extra’ books explaining Narnia and Hogwart’s. I knew about its existence, but haven’t looked for it.

Then my work here is done. Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I’ve read it: inessential as an adjunct to the novels, but a very nice little book: beautifully presented, and some great illustrations.

PS Jim Thompson is your light summer reading? What do you do when you really want something brutal and depressing?

Dan Simmons’ Joe Kurtz novels. Except that I’ve never gotten up the nerve to actually read one. (I have read his Endymion SF series and some of his short stories, though.)