Photoshop Content-Aware Fill--Spooky

That is awesome and makes me want it. Clone tool? Won’t do that.

The first one, the park bench scene, I wasn’t too impressed with. The light poles or whatever they were in the background left noticeable artifacts behind, and the big tree that he replaced with sky wouldn’t be all that hard to extrapolate: It doesn’t need to look like the sky actually did behind the tree, it just has to match smoothly with the rest of the sky.

That last one with the clouds, though, I really have to wonder about. For instance, the horizon is sloping up a mountainside on the right edge of the original scene. The content-fill decided that the point of the horizon on that boundary ought to be the peak of that mountain, and abruptly sloped it back down there. What in the world gave it the idea to do that? I could see if it extended the slope to continue uphill there, and I could see if it decided to make a plateau there, but why would it decide to go back down?

Amazing results that got more amazing as the video went along. Almost too amazing.

I wonder if there will be a follow-up video next Thursday.

DMark’s Rant: Apologies in advance.

As promising and interesting as this looks, Adobe is driving me crazy.

I teach Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver at at a college. (Used to teach Flash and might do so again in the future.)

We barely got CS3 and then finally found some textbooks to go along with it, and then BAM, out comes CS4. It was nearly impossible to get some books with the upgraded CS4 version. Students, of course, would complain if they had to buy an “old” CS3 book “but we are using CS4!” despite me mentioning that, as relative beginners, it was not going to make a huge difference and I would cover the new features.

I don’t really blame the book publishers - hell, what can they do? As an author, you get your CS3 version, see the new features, re-write your book, send to an editor, then they send to the printer - takes several months at best - before your book is ready for the classroom. The ink is barely dry and, hello - CS4 comes out! So you start over again, after selling what, a few thousand books? And now you get to begin anew with CS4?! And guess what - CS5 is on the horizon already - so forget even trying to finish those CS4 books anymore.

On the flip side, I understand Adobe - hey, new stuff, new version, more money.

Still, it drives me nuts. Not only can we barely (if at all) keep up with finding class books, but as an instructor, we have to figure out a way to get the software, bone up on it, and be prepared to teach the new software upgrades 10 minutes after it is installed on the computers at school!

BTW, the school refuses to buy the new software for the instructors for home use - so my only option is to buy it myself, or learn it when they load it on the class room computers. Imagine our joy to fork out funds every year and half to upgrade our home computers to prepare for classes and be able to use it to grade projects!

Holy fuck.

You aren’t obliged to upgrade to the latest versions as soon as they come out. There are professionals out there still using PS v6.5 and coping perfectly well.

The general principle I’ve encountered seems to be to wait for at least two versions before upgrading. I use CS3, and may upgrade to CS5, which is a gap of three years or so, but I will probably wait until CS6, because there aren’t any useful upgrades for the tools in the other Adobe apps I use. I have a great book for After Effects CS3, and that served me well these past 18 months.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Adobe could offer this as a plugin to earlier versions like CS3?

As a user, no. But a college really needs to be teaching from the most recent version or the students will quickly feel disgruntled and perceive a lack of value.

What would really be nice is if they could price it reasonably. :frowning:

I work with text book publishers, and the cycle is longer than that. The book I’m working with now had 5 months devoted to editorial review, three months for layout, nearly 6 weeks just for proofing. I have no idea the timeline on actual printing and distribution beyond that. This book is an update, and it’s more than a year on turn around, which seems to be about Adobe’s dev cycle. No wonder they can’t keep up.