Phrases/terms that aggravate the hell out of you

School related ones: “at this time…” and “at that time…” instead of now and then. They’re used in announcements for some unknown reason. In faculty meetings, if you hear the speaker say “As a this, that or other…” you know you’re going to hear some chiding or bragging. In Georgia, the days before and after the kids show up for the year but teachers are at work are called “pre-planning” and “post planning.” Come on- all planning is “pre-” by definition, and post planning only works in deciding where to put the fence uprights.

My peeve is : asking for a friend…

“Let’s agree to disagree”

My response will be “Fuck you” because:

A. I’m right.
or
B. There’s no way I’ll agree with you about anything.

“The fact of the matter is …”

While I’m not a fan of the phrase, I think it’s useful in a specific situation, namely when two people are opposed on an issue without a clear right or wrong answer and neither is changing their minds. Saying “Let’s agree to disagree” is a way of saying that you want to end the argument because you recognize that neither of you is going to change your mind.

Using the phrase “aggravate the hell out of you” when you mean “irk” or “mildly annoy”.

While I’m at it:

“in lieu”. It’s French, and in French, it’s actually, “en lieu,” which is NOT pronounced “loo”. It’s not even close to “loo”. It has two syllables in French. It just means, “instead”. So you’re saying, “instead” except you’re saying it wrong, and you’re using it pretentiously, so you’re doubly-awful about it. Never ever use “in lieu” in English while talking to me if you want me to keep a measure of respect for you.

Now, this, well, I admit I may be in the wrong somewhat, but it aggravates me anyway. The verb is “orient”. If I want to aim my vehicle (or myself) in a specific direction, or if I was lost but now found my route, I would orient it or myself. Yet I see “orientate”. Augh. I don’t actually care if it’s spelled that way in the Oxford dictionary.

Re: orientate. I was going to say that. Especially “going to an orientation to get orientated.” (My spellcheck doesn’t identify those as misspellings, either. Aargh.)

“Quite Frankly”. Most often used by politicians. Be assured that when you hear it, the next thing you hear will be a lie.

Also being referred to as: hun; bro; dude, or any similar type dumb ass salutation.

Yes!

“so normally you lie to me, is that what you’re saying?”

I get edgy when folks don’t look at how their HTML-ish typing will render before they post. :wink:

This one is well established in Canadian English, in the phrase “in lieu of”, especially in legal usage. For instance, the federal and provincial governments can’t be taxed by municipalities, but out of fairness will give grants in lieu of municipal taxes.

and, it’s just one syllable. Original French pronunciation isn’t used, just like “Paris” has an English pronunciation.

College admins must be slow learners. Most of those are CorpSpeak from 10+ years ago when I was last in that rat race.

I was going to mention “I’m just saying” but other posters already have that covered. Also:

“I’m just saying” is a rickety, hastily-constructed fire escape attached to an ill-considered remark.”. Best metaphor I’ve ever saw on that phrase.

Mine though:

All this faux egalitarian ‘Team Member’ BS in workplaces. Especially in light of the crassness of still using the term “human resources”. It may have all started out with good intentions but it’s well past its sell date and into self caricaturization. There’s nothing wrong about using the terms “employees” and “co-workers”.

Use of the word “Nope” whether in print or spoken. Boorish IMO and if someone uses the word at me I want to smack them in the mouth.

“Ya’ll” in writing/typing. Can’t stand it. I don’t really mind it when spoken. I have no idea why.

As a contraction of “you all”, I think it would have to be spelled “y’all”.

Is it any better when written like that?

I hate utilizing “utilize” and don’t think I’ve ever seen a sentence where it wouldn’t be better to just use “use”.

I may have misread the title. I thought we were discussing things that aggravate. Regardless of the correctness of its use (and where I’m from, on dit “lieu” avec deux syllabes), it aggravates me.

No, I’m afraid it isn’t. It’s not the grammar, it’s the attitude behind it. Flippancy maybe? I can’t really say. It’s just a nebulous pet peeve I have.

Once a Business Analyst asked me, “do you know if we have synergies there that we can leverage?”

Took me several moments to realize that he was asking me if we had reusable code in the module we were redesigning! Thankfully I have not been subjected to such flowery language since.

I now a guy who went nuts over the term infomercial. “Stop calling it an informercial, it’s just a commercial!”. That was when the word was just starting to be used. A couple of years after that he couldn’t sleep one night, decided to see what was on TV, and then his head exploded. I only heard about that last part second hand, might have been an exaggeration.