Phrases/terms that aggravate the hell out of you

One stands upon a podium, as the root word pod-, meaning foot, suggests. One stands at or behind a lectern. The guy currently in the news swiped a lectern, not a podium.

I never realized that! Thanks!

Most dictionaries give “lectern” as one meaning for “podium” because everyone and their sister uses it that way.

I think it’s to bring out the natural sweetness of our representatives.

But that’s just as ambiguous as “Congressperson”. Parliament is composed of the Queen, the Senate and the Commons, so a Senator is just as much a “Member of Parliament” as is a member of the Commons.

I have never in my life heard “Congresscritters.” Maybe I’ve just not been paying attention.

Use the Search feature.
https://boards.straightdope.com/search?q=Congresscritters%20order%3Alatest

On the contrary, “critter” is quite appropriate in this case. Take squirrels as an example…they’ve got cute little bushy tails, expressive (almost curious!) faces, and darling little paws they use to grip things like a tiny, fuzzy toddler. They can also trash your garage in the course of a day, and can do far more damage – nesting in cars, for example – if allowed to stay longer.

They are bushy-tailed rats. Fuck squirrels.

That’s just silly pedantry. Do you really think that when someone refers to their MP, as in “I’ve asked my MP to help with this issue”, that someone might think they mean the Queen, or Governor General, or a Senator?

Whereas to me, “Congressman” really is inherently ambiguous, though I recognize its widespread use to mean a member of the US House of Representatives. Because if someone is a man, and a member of the US Senate, they are also by definition a “Congress man”.

Right, and if a person is a member of the Senate of Canada, they are also a member of Parliament.

So why do you say “Congressman” is ambiguous, but “Member of Parliament” is clearly just referring to a member of the House of Commons, but not to a Senator? I’m not following your logic here.

My argument rests on the claim that “Member of Parliament” isn’t just a descriptor, but a specific term – essentially a title – that specifically denotes an elected member of the House of Commons. As per Wikipedia:

A member of parliament (MP) is the representative of the people who live in their constituency. In many countries with bicameral parliaments, this category includes specifically members of the lower house, as upper houses often have a different title.

The above is actually rather poorly worded; it’s apparent that by “includes” they meant to say “refers only to”. I don’t think you’ll find many people in Canada who would consider the Queen, the GG, or Senators to be MPs, even though they all have parliamentary roles.

Whereas “member of Congress” is, in fact, just a descriptor, in my view.

One I’ve been seeing for the past year or so:

“I think that the TPS forms should get a new cover sheet, so I’m going to socialize the idea at our meeting today.”

I know what “socialize” means because I socialized my dog. It means he’s going to take his idea out to the park and let it run around and play with other ideas.

There is a trend to “verb” a noun, or other word, lately. Somesuch car commercial at the end says “…this is how you family.”

I get that you can Uber over there, or Google this, but in some cases verbs are being created out of thin air - what’s up with that?

One thing (a bit off-topic) that on rare occasions makes me a little itchy is to hear “su-sinked”. The word should also not be pronounced “suck-sinked” but more like “suKsinked”, but leaving out the “k” sound is just icky.

Similarly, I keep hearing people drop the first “r” in “forward,” pronouncing it “foward.”

Yeah, /fo ward/ means toward your enemy; for example, in battle.

This may have been covered already. When did the plural of “process” become “process-eez” (last syllable rhyming with “feces”?

Regardling “beg the question” being more accepted, I guess I mainly hear it (or the lack of it) on television or radio programs. I’ve retired from my job, the handful of people I interact with socially by phone or through zoom don’t use the phrase, and casual conversation in the grocery store with strangers offers little reason for someone to either raise or to beg any question. I guess it’s so noticeable to me because I learned the logic fallacy meaning of it back in the 1970s when in college, and had literally never heard the phrase before that, and never heard anyone use it at all for many years thereafter. Suddenly people were saying it all over NPR, PBS, and many other media outlets. I had wondered why that phrase became so frequent as a substitute for “raise the question” or something similar. Then just in the past couple of years I thought it was dying out as a phrase before I heard it again just recently. Thanks to you all for letting me know it’s become common usage now. Maybe people like it because they like to think there are questions just begging to be answered! And they are not wrong.