Phrogging - is this for real?

Again, I have no trouble believing that urban exploration is done, but again the huge difference is that phrogging is done while people are living in the house.

Damn, I was really hoping that someone here would know something about this, recognize the girls, or have access to some investigative tool other than the internet. All the net searching done so far is inconclusive. As detailed on Snopes, the fact that all mentions of phrogging point back to these videos would seem to indicate that it’s fake, but as before, that’s not proof.

Somewhere out there there has to be some hard evidence to say whether this is real or faked.

The tease for “iCaught”, not surprisingly, made it sound like they were going to report this as a totally real phenomenon, but that’s just usual TV scare tactics. I’m still holding out hope that, just maybe, their report will include asking the question of whether the video is real, and then digging in to uncover the truth.

No opinion on the videos, which I have not watched.

I just want to comment on the concept that someone could be living in your house and you be unaware of it.

Sure, in some huge McMansion where the couple is seldom home, I can see it, maybe. But generally it’s immediately obvious when someone else is living in your house.

I used to be in a group house-sharing situation. Rent was very cheap, but the landlord rented to more unrelated people than the law allows, and did so sort of under-the-table. We each had a room and a kitchen cabinet (with a padlock) and shared the common areas, bathrooms, and fridge.

The landlord was a Filipino Catholic, and he rented only to men, and had a “no girls living with you” policy. No idea if that was enforceable (not that it even matters) – that’s just what he told us.

The lanlord also picked our housemates for us, whenever someone left. That is to say, we had no input. Needless to add, this resulted in a lot of gold-plated losers living there. The police became frequent visitors.

There was one young man who was more trouble than most – he was hauled off in squad cars several times. At one point he moved his girlfriend into the house.

An older gentleman who lived on the other (upstairs) floor complained, and this kid whined a lot about one of us bottom-floor-dwellers ratting him out. His stated premise was “there’s no way the guy upstairs could have known a woman was living in the house” unless we’d told him.

Never mind the loud arguments they’d get into, the stockings hanging in the bathroom in an all-male household, the perfume, her car in the driveway, the extra cooking, or all the other signs she was living there. :rolleyes:

Sailboat

I had something similar happen to me last year that I hadn’t thought about until now. I rented the Catholic Campus Ministries house at my university last year and during the fall semester, the house was having major renovations being done on it. At one point, the floors in the front room and the office were being refinished, so all of that furniture was moved into the kitchen and dining room. Stuffed into two smallish rooms were a couple of couches, a coffee table, a dining room table, a desk, and a bunch of chairs in varying styles.

The house was only a block away from campus and near where most of the Greek organizations had their houses, IOW, near where lots of parties happened. The morning after the floors were finally done, my roommate went downstairs to get breakfast and go to class only to find some girl asleep on a couch in the kitchen. She assumed it was a friend of mine and let the girl sleep, but did note that she reeked of alcohol. The Catholic Campus Minister came in, saw the girl asleep, and tried to find a blanket to cover her up with. She couldn’t find a blanket, but she could find an old altar cloth, so she carefully covered the girl with the altar cloth, trying not to wake her up. She did, however, wake the girl up and said, “Don’t worry, you’re safe. You’re at the Catholic house.” The minister then left the girl to sleep and ran some errands. When she returned to the house, the girl was gone.

Now, I listened to descriptions of the girl from both the minister and my roommate. I asked around and I’m pretty positive she didn’t know me. It was just a random drunk girl who came into our house and fell asleep. We weren’t supposed to walk on the floors while the new finish was drying and had forgotten to lock the side door the night before. In this situation, I feel more sorry for the girl. Imagine waking up on a couch in a kitchen filled with furniture in a house that you don’t recognize to a middle aged lady covering you with an alter cloth saying, “Don’t worry, you’re safe. You’re at the Catholic house.” Would that freak anyone else out?

Yes, I would probably have started screaming.

All that said, I respectfully think you’re missing the point.

The idea is that someone sneaks into your home, and while you are there, they hush up and hide for as long as it takes. I don’t think it could be done in a ranch, even a large one , for very long. But a 3-4,000 sq. ft. home with an upstairs… certainly. I agree, that there seems to be a sixth-sense that kicks in when someone else is in the house with you — but if they went ninja on you — would you really know? Also, they have an advantage: You’re obliviousness and ignorance to even the idea of phrogging, let alone the chances that someone is actually sneaking around your house with you still in it. You’d dismiss the thought unless you had some real evidence to believe there was someone stowing-away.

I started a thread here, as to whether it could be pulled off. Not as to the veracity of it being a real counter-culture. But if you had to do it, how long could you get away with it.

I blame reading.

I finished all 5 days and as it went on, my BS-meter kept going up. E.g.

1. Renee does not look like she survives on the equivalent of one meal a day.
  2. The do not want to leave evidence out in case the owners come home unexpectedly, so why leave the paintings out?
  3. The blinds are down to the roof access yet they never lower them while on the roof or shut the window (wouldn’t the smell infest the room?).

Missed the edit window
4) There is one video (IIRC during the art session) where I swear I hear a door downstairs shutting about 2 seconds before the end of the clip.

It just seems fake, the whole style of it, their acting. It also seems like a really stupid idea.

Nashville had a twisted murder case where a man was living in a closet in his lover’s home. She, of course, knew of his presence, but her husband didn’t.

Freeman case article

Many people didn’t buy her story. I’m not convinced either way.

There was at least one case that was just as strange. Walburga “Dolly” Oesterreich kept her lover living in the attic for 20 years before he was discovered by her husband (the story is long but interesting). . There was a shorter case in Nashville. These aren’t exactly the same because a member of the household assisted but the difficulty level, especially for the first one is way higher than living in someones house for while. I pulled off a stunt that was not quite the same but even more difficult sounding in high school so I don’t automatically discount what can be done if you can read people’s behavior patterns and typical reactions well.

My mom has a totally different coffee maker, but she regularly leaves one to two cups of coffee- sometimes up to two mug’s worth- because she doesn’t think the coffee tastes as good if it’s not made at its full capacity. I can’t remember the exact logic behind this, but it made sense at the time. (And sometimes I drink the coffee, so it doesn’t always go to waste.)

What makes me want to call BS is their hair. Who would keep such long hair when they’re not sure when they can take showers/wash their hair- especially when it’s curly?

Wasn’t there a nod to it in the movie “The Lookout” ?

Ok, tonight’s iCaught revealed the truth: It’s fake, total fiction. They interviewed the two girls, as well as the guy, John Stevens, who thought up the idea and directed the video. It was totally faked; it even took them three months to do the filming. Case closed.

As others have noted, felony burglary. Because B&E doesn’t require any actual “breaking”. If you open a door or window even slightly, that would constitute breaking and entering. And even that imaginary line thing might count.

One reason it’s a felony, even if you don’t steal much, is because people’s privacy in their home is pretty sancrosanct. If you violate that, especially while they’re home, you deserve to be punished pretty severely. In fact, that could even be considered a home invasion.

And has others have noted, you’re more likely to die doing something so stupid and disrespectful than you are to startle them and bolt for the door. An extremely stupid idea all around.

P.S.: Watch the 70’s TV Movie “Bad Ronald” if you want to see a film about this, though. There are actually several movies about strangers living in a family’s attic.

Not trying to sell you a book but this is what came up first when googling (Manson Family creepy crawling)

“Creepy crawling” was the Manson Family’s practice of secretly entering someone’s home and, without harming anyone, leaving only a trace of evidence that they had been there, some reminder that the sanctity of the private home had been breached.

Sounds like a good way to get shot.

Or the 2019 movie, Parasite.

Notice that this is an old thread, but thought people might be interested that after my brother moved into a house, they started locking the basement doors because somebody was sleeping in the basement bedroom. The old owner wasn’t getting down the stairs very often anymore, and they figured she probably just hadn’t noticed.