Plagiarism expert catches Coulter

Ok. Wrong term. And DUH! It was fucking obvious you went down the damn list! As if every one who posted in that thread is the DEFINITIVE list of Ann Coulter bashers on the Straight Dope. Again… strawman! Is everyone who didn’t call Miss Bitch MY EXACT WORDS ( fuckwad.) PROOF that I am picking on Bricker??? MY rant was (mis)directed at him. Why don’t YOU fuck off? He can defend himself just fine thankyouverydamnmuchandfuckoff.

Well, you were cherry-picking the quotation. Who on your list was defending her constitutionally protected rights?

Yay! I got named in a list of Dopers! Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing… :confused: :smiley:

Do we get pie?

Das right. Cherry pie.

Yay for pie! (Chair boogie ensues)

Cherry pie is fine in its place.

In my completely original and unplagiarised opinion, that is just after a piece of chocolate cake, an ice-cream cone, a pickle, a slice of Swiss cheese, a slice of salami, and a lollipop; and just before a sausage, a cupcake and a slice of watermelon.

Mercifully I find myself in no need of an opinion about Ann Coulter

No, Rick. My apologies, but it will not fly. And remember, I will defend the right of anybody to say anything.

This … entity … is on record in her book entitled Treason as saying: “All liberals and Democrats are guilty of actions tantamount to treason.” (Close paraphrase; they didn’t have a copy of Treason in the 10c bin at the rummage sale, and I would pay no more than that for it.)

Now, until and unless she produces clearcut proof, the sort that will stand up in a court of law under serious efforts to impugn it, that I and other Democrats and liberals have committed the constitutional definition of treason, she is a slanderous, libelous bitch who does not deserve your good offices. I will stand up for the right of a KKK member, a NAMBLA member, even Fred Phelps, to exercise their rights to freedom of speech, no matter how repulsive the content. With that accusation, though, la Coulter has just crossed the line for me.

(Her laudation of Tail Gunner Joe is either complete insanity or an effort to sell all the traffic will buy, too, but at least it’s redeemed for me by leading me to discover America’s most unlikely hero, Joseph Walsh.)

She dates Bill Maher. Could happen.

Um… Polycarp, I’m just talking about the accusation of plagiarism here. My post was not intended to be a general defense of her, merely a request for details on her supposed plagiarism.

Plaigarism and concealment of the other side’s honesty all in one sentence. How very efficient of her.

Nasty old bitch? Super genius? I’m never sure about Coulter. She reminds me a little bit of Andy kauffman these days. I’m not really sure who the joke is on.

Take her at face value and she’s just a bitch. More though is revealed by those that support her and those that seek to bring her down, than about her.

I am pretty sure that she is over the top to bring out the froth-at-the-mouth detractors who will stoop to just about any level to get her.

I got to beleive these accusations of plagiarism, as spurious as they are, play right into her hands.

Liberals aren’t all she says, but she sure does make a few of them act that way.

If it’s true.

Unfortunately, we are not given the specific Planned Parenthood cite to check. So how can we tell if it’s true?

The accusations against Ben Domemneoncish or whatever played out. And frankly, it certainly fits her writing style: she just grabs a bunch of glurge, plops it into a word processor, and changes a few words here and there. It certainly seems perfectly plausible. Heck, she basically parades the idea that William Dembski ghost-wrote her excreble section on evolution.

But of course, pointing out that someone is a plagarist is, apparently, “stooping to a level” to get her.

I am well aware of his ability to defend himself. I was aware of this ability of his before you came to us.

I am also aware of your embarrasment at being caught with your pants down.

I don’t fuck off because I have your bright, cheery self to entertain.

Who on my list needed to be? Who in this thread is (or has been) seriously saying she should be censored?

I responded to the parts of if6was9’s post that had any bearing on this thread. Given that if6was9 has since removed himself from his irrelevant comments, this seems more’n slightly appropriate.

Right. It’s like there’s some sort of existential performance art piece, and a whole lot of us, more than anything, are pissed off that we’re being denied the privilege of even the slightest hint of a " :wink: " ; deep down, too many of us resent the possibility we may be getting “punk’d”.

Part of the issue as I see it is that she is, no, HAS to be, really, fearless about taking the risk that (to continue the stand-up allegory) she may cross over from Andy Kauffman “waitaminnit, what’s the *&^% joke?" territory to the Andrew Dice Clay "we don't care if it's a joke, that was *&^%# rude” category. (And IMNSHO she has.)

Now, of course, while Andy stayed within the sphere of entertainment, Ann runs loose in the yard of political commentary, where at some point in the past there seems to have been developed an unwritten consensus that (A) any future work along the line of “A Modest Proposal” be heavily smiley-punctuated, and (B) even the most partisan commentator should make at least a token gesture of taking an ocassional shot at their own side. But those are just that – complacent conventions that developed among the media and public; for someone like Coulter, it makes for fertile soil in which to sow disruption of those expectations and till publicity.

Even this will work for her in this sense: being accused of pulling a small-scale Opal Mehta will just give her openings for replyingg that everyone in her field is continuously quoting and referencing w/o having to add a bibliography to every column, and for questioning how come she was the one “targeted”.

I would say “shameless”, but that’s just me.

While she is still not half as bad as Phred Phelps, Ann kind of reminds me of him, because neither of them seems to give a flying fuck about what decent society thinks of them or their antics. Voter fraud? Who cares? Defending The Bell Curve? Hey, if it sells books. Sucking up to Joe McCarthy? No problem.

At first, I wanted to understand why. I mean, I know why she does it. She wants to capture Angry America. I mean, I wanted to understand why she wanted to capture Angry America. Have you seen Angry America? I grew up around Angry America, and it wasn’t pretty back then. I can only imagine it getting worse now. Could it have been for the money? There are easier ways for an intelligent lawyer in Washington to make money, especially if she could conceivably be attractive if she would just make the effort. Also, she wouldn’t be hated by decent society.

I think JRDelirious nailed it for me when he compared her to Andy Kaufman. There is no “why”. She does it because she likes the attention, and because she’s a bit of a nutcase.

Well, as others have suggested, Coulter’s raving idiocy completely discredited her in my eyes long before now. In fact, stealing other people’s text might actually improve her work.

Still if the accusations turn out to be true, it certainly wouldn’t make her the Lone Ranger.

Stephen Ambrose
Brian Van De Mark
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Louis W. Roberts
Roger Shepherd
Laurence Tribe
Charles Ogletree

Yes, but she likely wouldn’t be famous.

Like I said, she does it because she likes the attention.

From my post #18 in this thread, this article details the (possibly) plaigiarized list: