Please check my new PC build

What are the advantages of that as opposed to, say, an i5 4690k?

I think you’re going to need more Strength or you wont be able to do enough damage.

:smiley:

I just looked up the restrictions on the OEM version, and it says it is locked to the model of motherboard it is installed on. Which I guess is Ok. But it seems like that could lead to problems down the road.

But for the price, I guess it makes since.

Find a $50 case and get a better psu. Cases are irrelevant, a twitchy or overtaxed psu will be a nightmare.

Eta…already addressed

G.SKILL Aegis 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2133C15D-8GIS

$35

Looking at this RAM. And anyone see any issues with going with the OEM Windows?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Interesting. I’m behind on recent overclocking news and missed that Skylake non-K processors can be overclocked. You are technically correct, the i5-6500 can use faster memory.

Still, without specifically overclocking it, the faster memory will only run at 2133:

That RAM would work fine.

The only real downside with OEM is that the license is tied to the hardware. Legally, if you switch out the motherboard, or especially if you build an entirely new system, you should buy a new copy of Windows. Things might have changed recently, but in the past if the OEM version failed to activate due to a hardware change you would be prompted to call an automated 800 number and could still get it activated that way.

Forgot to add:

I see BigT is recommending the Pro version of OEM. You can also get OEM Home:

Unless you have a specific need for the Pro features (and few home users do) you can probably save a few dollars sticking with the Home version.

You know, I just looked in my NewEgg order history, and I built my current system in 2007. Really time for an upgrade. I am unlikely to build a new system for quite some time, so I guess the OEM windows is fine.

My point is that, with Windows 10, you’ll be locked to the motherboard model no matter what. They do hardware hashes even on Retail. Licenses are now tied to the hardware.

I just recommend Pro because I had issues getting networking things up and running on “basic.” And I think someone who games will need the ability to control how updates work so you aren’t forced to use Microsoft’s drivers even though you installed a better one from the manufacturer.

I think it’s worth it to pay a bit more for Pro, just to have more control over your system. Just the ability to control when you update–only when you choose to restart your system–is great.

Do you have a cite for that? Because all I see online is that upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 will be locked to the motherboard. No mention of the retail version being locked.

It’s also 40% better. I think you’d be better off going with a core i3-6100 and dumping the savings into the GPU. It’s only a dual core vs a quad core, but there are only a handful of tasks that benefit from having four cores.

Ok, I think I was talked into the GTX 970 and the OEM pro. Keeping everything else the same. I think I will order it tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the advice.