Please Explain (mathematics question)

0! time, in 6.5238!, for 3.878! minutes.

Thanks to all who responded, explaing a difficult (for me) problem in layman’s terms. I believe I understand it better now.
SS

Thanks for replying.

The symbol I’ve seen is different, but it was in a very old textbook so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s obsolescent. This was a tall set of parentheses with containing n and r, one positioned over the other. Or is that something else?

No, writing n over r in vector parentheses means the same thing, but defeats my coding skills!

Quoth Wendell:

But that’s not what brocks said. He didn’t say that if all those people shuffled for all that time that they’d never match each other; what he said was that they’d never match that one specific shuffling you did.

Now that I reread what brocks wrote, I’m not clear what he meant. If he means that one starts with a given ordering and waits until that ordering is repeated, then his calculations are correct that about random (10^68) orderings have to be produced. If he means that one starts producing orderings and waits until there is some repetition, then my calculations that one only needs to produce (10^34) random orderings to see the first repetition are correct.

I think it is very clear what brocks meant:

[emphasis mine —DHMO]

Incidentally, even if you assume that’s what he meant, his arithmetic still isn’t quite correct. As I showed in my calculations, he’s talking about (10^53) different orderings being produced. He claims that there’s only one chance in a trillion trillion that this will match a given ordering. But there are only about (10^68) different orderings, so that’s one in a thousand trillion, not one in a trillion trillion.

And I still don’t find it clear what he meant, but this is pointless to argue about.

Just thought I should say this is a pretty clever joke but somehow seems to have caused the thread to turn to crap.

You’re right, I somehow managed to add 54 to 24 and get 68. But I’m danged if I can see how you find it unclear that I’m specifying a particular deck to match.