Please help me solve this Rebus.

I think you’ve been whooshed.

(The post I believe was commenting on your mistaken capitalization of “Rebus”.)

Possibly bees? So you’d maybe have “season” following eye-minus-b (or eyeball-minus-b, or even ball-minus-b) following birthmark-minus-b or blotch-minus-b or blot-minus-b, or even just stain-minus-nothing, or whatever?

“Just visiting for Christmas?” “No, stayin’ all season!”

(Or, if ball-minus-b is too abstract, eyeball-minus-b could yield – something “aisle” season, or something “isle” season, or something “I’ll” season, or whatever?)

Does anyone not think the answer is going to be pretty lame?

Re: 14k of g in a f p d is obviously “14 karats of gold in a Florentine pietra dura.” Why does everyone have such a hard time with that?

As for the rebus, I’ve heard the spot referred to as a Devil’s mark, or Mark of the Beast. He, himself, was often called “the Marked One”.

I’ve also heard spots like that referred to as “skidmarks”, which is obviously unkind.

Fofer’s other threads on this to give us some aid:

rebus help

rebus help again2

Some smart folks there, too, but no answer that I see yet.

Could the pepper shaker represent “season”?

A bookshop might have an: “Author Name season”.

Sorry, I don’t buy it - the article for pietra dura says they were made of stones, it doesn’t mention gold. Your answer is probably as good as any, but it is not the satisfying “aha” moment that you get on solving such a puzzle.

I think this is a great idea - if true, the first word could be simply “Mark” (although that doesn’t fit with the “clues” we have been given).

Is it “Mark Twain Season”?

or is it wabbit season?

I think you have been whooshed.

The pepper thing could be “mill” like a pepper mill.

Dunno.

Looks like a “shaker” to me

I see "spill’.It is shown laying down and pepper coming out. Pepper is the part I cant reconcile. Why not salt?

I’m trying to put myself in the mindset of the crappy rebus designer:

He starts off with a word or phrase that he heard once for Gorbachev’s birthmark. It’s close enough to the first 2 words of a common three-word phrase that he thinks “aha, I could make a puzzle out of this”.

In order to get the birthmark phrase to work, he has to add the sound/letter “I”, and then subtract something else. He represents the subtraction with a picture that looks like two flies. Instead of thinking “What does two flies mean?” it might be more useful to think “What is a letter/sound combination that could be removed from a word to leave another word? And can that combination be represented with two flies?”

And then the pepper shaker is just tacked on the end to make the final word in the phrase. I agree that the fact that it’s tipped over seems significant.

I think that picture of “Gorbechev” looks more like a head wound or an assassination attempt than his birthmark.

The - might also be a standin for the word “Without”

Maybe… “Assault with no Pepper”? :slight_smile:

It’s a bullshit “art” project that may mean something to the artist, but nothing to anyone else.

Joe

I’m really bad at this, but could Gorbachev be a stand-in for “piebald”? I think that usually refers to white patches, not wine-red splotches, but maybe allow for some poetic license?

And of course I don’t know if that fits with the rest at all. Just thought I’d throw an idea out there if we’re brainstorming.

Are we sure it’s referring to Gorbachev’s birthmark? What if it’s referring to him? Not necessarily his name but some general name for a Soviet head of state, or something like that?

But…we were told he has spoken to the puzzle creator and received clues.

:confused:

Or Commie. That’s generally taken as derogatory.