Please VOTE! for your favourite poem in the Jan. 2011 SDMB Poetry Sweatshop's Anthology Thread!!!

I have the impression that it might have. Correlation does not equal causation and all that, but certainly this particular Poetry Sweatshop has already garnered more votes than we’ve had since April of 2010. Also, there has been more commentary and discussion than in many of the previous ones. All this is a subjective impression but overall I think the effect of keeping the thread ‘free-floating’ has been positive.

[Logicians - avert your eyes! What follows is pure Wild Ass Guesswork in its worst form. I haven’t even proved the existence of an effect, and now I’m about to speculate on the reasons for the existence of something still hypothetical! Run! Run for your lives!!]

I think it may be possible that sticky threads don’t get noticed as readily - like the pre-flight safety announcement, it’s something we’re accustomed to ignoring. Also, because so many of the stickies are locked, there may be a feeling of reluctance to try to comment on a stickied thread. Couple that with a general reluctance to comment on someone else’s creative efforts and you have a lot of constraint against making comments.

All that aside, I’m really pleased at how respectful everyone’s comments are, and how they were well thought out and encouraging. I think that people may have wanted to comment if only to bump the thread and keep the discussion going, and yet the discussion has been very fruitful.

And for those who haven’t voted yet, there are still more than 48 hours remaining…

With the close of the poll, we have reached the end of the Jan. 2011 SDMB Poetry Sweatshop. I would first like to congratulate our poets - Savannah, Woeg, Elendil’s Heir and Le Ministre de l’au-delà - for their outstanding work this month.

And it is my pleasure to offer my particular congratulations to Woeg, whose beautiful villanelle ‘When First We Played’ has earned him the title ‘Poet Laureate of the Straight Dope Message Board’. Bravo!

I would also like to take this moment to thank the Mods for their ongoing help and support. I’d like to thank our readers and voters as well - your participation is greatly appreciated.

Next Poetry Sweatshop will be sometime in late March. Meanwhile, for those interested, I hope to be running a Short Fiction contest sometime in the last week of February.

My best wishes to all of you,

Le Ministre de l’au-delà

Wow…I am speechless :slight_smile: Y’all have made my day!

Seriously, thanks so much to Le Ministre de l’au-delà for hosting these - I don’t enter as often as I’d like, but I certainly love reading them.

Cheers all! :slight_smile:

Congrats, Woeg! I’m sure your trophy will look very nice on your mantelpiece.

Congratulations, Woeg! I really admire how you wrote in a set format in such a short space of time. I think, for me, it’s much easier to do free verse, so your win is well-deserved.

Also, it was sexy. :slight_smile: