Pocket knife roundup

I’ve had an Old Timer for years. The one with the antelope horn handle. When I was a kid, my dad gave me a pocket knife every year for my birthday. I would lose it sometime during the year and wait for my birthday replacement. I have noticed that when you carry a pocket knife, people ask you two questions:
“Why do you carry a pocket knife?”
“Can I borrow your pocket knife?”

Carry three on a daily basis:

1: Gerber Clip-Loc Rivermaster, 440 with a 3" fixed blade (1/4 serrated.)
2: Gerber Guardian Thrower, 380 with a full 4" fixed double edge. It lives up to its name.
3: Camillus 5733B (USAF SERE SK), 480 with a 5" fixed blade and 4 1/2" leather handle, hex buttplate. :slight_smile:

These days I’m carrying Spyderco’s…I have a Stainless Steel Delica and…another one, funny, I forget the name.

I used to carry Benchmade’s- I’ve had about 4. But, I kept losing them, and them’s expensive to lose. Spyderco is cheaper, especially since I get them for cost from a friend who orders them direct. My Delica cost $34, normally twice that retail.

I am thinking about getting this neat little butterfly knife. It will be legal to carry here because it technically doesn’t lock. I’m also thinking of a auto Benchmade, but, again, thems expensive.

One day I want to treat myself to a Damascus Steel auto clipit. It is funny, but that combination is hard to find under $500.

-Tcat

The only knife I carry all the time is a tiny little SwissTech Utili-Key - which is great for cutting nylon string and plastic strapping etc, but of course isn’t something I’d like to use as my main tool if I were stranded in the Amazon or something.

I’ve got an incredibly cheap boot knife like this one (and I mean cheap - it cost me one pound on a market stall) - it actually holds a surprisingly good edge and is sturdy and nice to handle. I keep it in the car and slip it in my pocket whenever I’m out rambling or beachcombing - it has been used for everything from prising limpets off rocks, to carving sticks, to slicing vegetables, to cutting cake (although not without first washing it, of course).

Flight bag, as in, you take it with you on flights? Not that I have a problem with it, but how was the security checkpoint?

I keep a ToolLogic Tool Lite in my wallet, between my credit card and my driver’s license. Usually I forget it’s there, but it’s been very helpful at times.

I used to always carry a Buck Cadet knife as a matter of pride. They cost anywhere from $20 to $25. I’ll bet I had to replace it half a dozen times, lost or stolen. About two years ago I bought a no name lock-blade pocket knife at a hardware check-out counter for $3, just to have something that will cut. It can’t be lost, I couldn’t even throw it away. It would show back up.

A small pink handled Buck that was given to me by “Cranky as an old Man” in a white elephant thingy.
I use it much more than the birth control pills.
Before that, Shrade Old Timer 8OT. Three blades, no locking ones.

Though presumably not for the same purpose? :eek:

Large Chris Reeve Sebenza Classic. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Leatherman PST on the belt. It’s so old it’s now classified as a ‘Retired Tool’ on the Leatherman website.

Retired tool? Sounds like an ex-politician.

damn airlines have taken all my blades over the past few years. i travel too much to carry a blade for the first time in nearly 40 years.

anybody have a recommendation for an honest to god whittling knife? very tough to find since no one whittles anymore and aluminum & buck blades cannot meet the req

I carry the Victorinox Tinker. I’ve “upgraded” from the Spartan a little while ago because I’d had my Spartan so long I’d feel bad if I lost it. So now I have the phillips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew.

The Little Woman has a Victorinox Cavalier that I got her for a Christmas present. She didn’t think she needed it, but now she has to have it in her purse at all times.

I saw the Buck Whittaker mentioned here once, and I picked one up. I think it’s a nice little knife. It’s a bottle opener and a small locking blade. The bottle opener is tricky at first, but one gets the hang of it.

You can’t gut a sucka fool with it, but it’s just the right kind of blade for those things I like to have a knife for: cutting a loose thread, opening a CD package, getting into a package. And, it fits on a key chain.

At home, I have a Victorinox that I got in Switzerland (they’re the same thing and no cheaper) 11 years ago. I use the screwdriver part more than anything else.

(hijack)

(Erm, maybe not the right word, considering the topic…)

I’ve always wondered, what happens to all those blades that they “confiscate”?

I usually carry a Leatherman Squirt P4. I’ve also got an original Leatherman, a Buck 112 and a couple of old style 2-bladed non locking knives.
At first I was afraid that I would lose the Squirt, but I’ve been carrying it nearly every day since last Christmas, knock wood. The Buck and old Leatherman are just too heavy to carry in a pocket.

I carry a Victorinox Climber, but instead of the corkscrew, it came with the philips-head screwdriver.

I have (or had, can’t seem to find it now) an Opinel. I find that the construction of the lock lets the blade wiggle a bit, but I think my fingers are still safe. I like the carbon steel, and don’t mind the staining.

Speaking of Spyderco, I had never heard of them until I read “Hannibal”. This is the blade that Lechter was looking for. I have never seen a more evil looking knife in my life…

1. The TSA’s go through the box and take everything they want home with them.
  2. The airport police go through the box and take everything they want home with them.
  3. What remains gets boxed up and sold through federal surplus sales, where the federal gummint sells off surplus and confiscated goods to other levels of government (e.g. state, county, municipal).

Source: A county sheriff who saw a box full of scissors, nail clippers, and junk knives at surplus sales and asked where it came from and why it was all cheap junk.

My Gerber Paraframe II is my constant companion.