Poignant moments in "guy" movies.

The only good part of Sleepless in Seattle:

The ending of Das Boot.

The score playing under the opening scene of Bruce Willis saving young Nancy really works for me.

Those notes wrapped around his inner monoluge saying “An old man dies, a little girl lives; fair trade” are perfectly editing into and around that line, which Willis delivered flawlessly.

The ending scene was close, but that opening one just grabs me every time. I’ve seen the movie two or three times, but anytime it’s on I’ll switch over just for that one scene, which I’ve probably seen a dozen times at least.

I’ll add the aftermath of the soap-bar justice from Full Metal Jacket. Hearing the fat guy’s plaintive sobbing always affected me.

“I am Spartacus!”

The last agonizingly long scene in Brian’s Song between Sayers and Piccolo. Oh my god, we were in Middle School when that thing came out and we watched it in school. EVERYONE cried.

Over and over.

" I’m feeling…kinda…punk… "

-sniffle-

At the end of *Apollo 13 * when Ed Harris rubs his nose and wipes a tear from his eye.

A great example of guy crying.

The look that passes between John Wayne and Ron Howard at the climax of The Shootist.

I may have to turn in my “guy” credentials, but the one little snippet that always make me choke back a sob is towards the end of Camelot, when the three people that loved each other more than life itself are forced to war because of that love.

*By the score fell the dead
As the sky turned to red
Countless numbers felt his spear
As he rescued Guenevere

In that dawn, in that gloom
More than love met its doom
In the dying candle’s gleam
Came the sundown of a dream

Guenevere, Guenevere
In that dim, mournful year
Saw the men she held most dear
Go to war for Guenevere*

The death of Old Yeller.

The bit in Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle where they put the tape into the tape recorder expecting something EXTREME, and it starts to play…

Wilson Phillips. They awkwardly try to be all manly and distant and cool about it, and then end up both singing along with it at the top of their lungs.

Not just when Kevin Costner gets to play catch with the ghost of his dad, but the shot of the long line of cars waiting to see the Field of Dreams. That made me gasp and almost shed a tear, when the emotional resonance hit me.

Near the end of The Great Escape when James Garner and Donald Pleasance almost make it.

The ending of 12 Monkeys

As Young Cole watches his older self die and the woman turns to look into young Cole’s eyes and has a moment of recognition

The ending of Shane.

High Noon as the Marshall realizes he’s alone. He sits at his desk and bows his head. It looks as if he is ready to cry. A great little moment.
The Godfather when Don Carlone asks the mortitian to restore his son’s looks for the funeral. Brando’s reading of “Look how they massacred my boy!” gets me every time. Worse since the birth of my two boys.

I’ve a feeling this one may be slightly more personal so i’ll tell the surrounding story as well:

Just over a year ago, as i was about to move to the US, i was having final drinks with my best mate (who i’d lived with for years) on my last day in England (i flew out the next morning). I’d done all the big “goodbye party” type stuff earlier in the week, but he’d taken that final day off so we could spend a final lazy day together.

We spent the night before doing what blokes do - getting really drunk and watching the dodgy bloke films that always get pulled out on occasions like that - Predator, Last Samurai, Aliens etc.

We got up late the next day, had a big old English breakfast down the local cafe and then headed into Camden, where we went to see Sin City and followed up by spending the rest of the day shooting shit together over beers and pub food.

Even though i’d be returning in a year and we’d still stay mates, it was very much the end of an era, and we both knew it (though you wouldn’t have guessed it from the conversations we had). At the end of the day we were both just enjoying one final chance to live the lifestyle we’d really enjoyed together for one last time.

The day turned into evening and, as evening turned into night, we moved back to our local pub for a last couple of pints for the road.

Finally, as last orders were called and, as we raised our glasses in celebration of the life and lifestyle we’d both enjoyed for the last time, he smiled at me and quoted a line from Last Samurai, which we’d watched the night before:

It was a relatively average line from a relatively average movie, but somehow it summed up every thought and feeling that really needed to be said and which (though we both felt the same way) being stereotypical blokes, we’d left unsaid.

It was a perfect moment, and i can’t hear that line now without getting slightly emotional about it (in a very manly way of course :D).

In The Hunt for Red October:

“I would like to have seen Montana…”

“You are who you choose to be”
“Suuuupermannn!” <BOOM!>

That did it for me.

Heack yes!

Not only a guy movie, but a cartoon!

Anyone remember who did the voice of the Giant?

Actually, just a cartoon.

when Rudy finally gets out on the field in Rudy

gets me every time…

Vin Diesel, actually.