Poison Ivy: a short play

I am going to have to try this. I think I got poison ivy on my pants a couple of weeks ago, and it got on my ankles. Not showing up until after I washed the pants, which I did as soon as I got home.

Yeah, he’d been going to the gym and using the painfully hot whirlpool tub there, until a couple lesions started oozing discharge. I think it was the most helpful thing - the Zanfel cost an arm and a leg, but didn’t do much. Other than the hot tub, 1% hydrocortisone cream has had the most success.

Currently he’s buzzing like a live wire from the prednisone, but it’s not doing anything to stop the itching as of day 2 of the treatment.

As for eroticism, this is pretty much the opposite. I tried to hug him in an unaffected area, only to have him yell, “Don’t touch me!”

It won’t do anything for the rash but it will control the itch. I find that, even with a really bad case, I can do the hot water spray once in the morning and again in the evening is all I need. An adjustable spray nozzle on a hose works the best.

Girl,

You need to get on The View right now so they can set you straight. Your. Man. Is. Cheating. On. You! Can you NOT see through this manbo’s devious ways?

Intentionally oozing discharge into a public hot tub. Eeeew.

:smiley:

No no, I meant to convey that he would use the hot tub at first, when he just had red itchy skin, but when there started to be drainage, he stopped using it - for obvious reasons!

In my line of work, I often feed mosquitoes on my arm. THIS is the only method I use to control the itch.

Hot water, as hot as you can stand. Hot enough to hurt, just below the damage point. It’ll itch like hell for about 20 seconds, then completely stop. >5 hours of complete relief.

Works much better than any cream, salve or spray.

I’ve used the hot water system as well. My best “cure” for poison-anything-that-itches-like-hell is a day at the pool on a sunny day. YMMV.

The pleasure from the hot water is the release of histimines. You can do the same thing on any part of your body with a very hot shower by slowly stepping into the hot water. I do this when my back is sore. Can’t say it helps my back but it feels good.

When dealing with poison ivy I use isopropyl alcohol liberally to break up the oil and then a good soap wash.

I’ve never had a reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac (to say that I’m not the outdoorsy type, though, is the understatement of the year,) but I’ve watched my brother have awful, awful reactions - to the point that he breaks out if he’s downwind of a large clump of the stuff. Doesn’t look like fun!

But this:

Honest to Dog, I’ve considered starting a business wherein wives/daughters/sisters can hire a total stranger to tell men something. Why is it that they won’t listen to the intelligent, well-informed opinions of the women in their lives, but they’ll take the advice of random mouth-breathing strangers on the street?

And when you have that going, start an off shoot - a child-trading service. Because kids will cheerfully do chores for other people that they would never consider doing at home.

Awesome idea! And so true!

As a kid, I was probably the most hyper-allergic to poison ivy you could imagine! I would get horrible cases, several times a year. One of the worst cases I got was in the dead of winter, sledding down hills. The doctor figured I must have made contact with the roots of the plant somehow.

I have had it on my scalp, palms of my hands, in my ears, nose, eyelids, between my toes - anywhere and everywhere on my body when I was a kid. You have no idea what poison ivy welts are like until your penis and testicles are the color of tomatoes and itch like hell 24 hours a day!

I had to be hospitalized once for a night as it was so bad all over my body - they actually strapped my hands to the bed (this was before any of the new medications). My parents tried every remedy they heard of - some quite bizarre - but to no avail.

Luckily, I have since lived in NYC, Berlin, Los Angeles and now Las Vegas - not exactly hotbeds of poison ivy plants. I never want to get near another poison ivy plant!