Political correctness is cowardice.

Because, as we all clearly remember, political correctness wasn’t a thing before Obama was elected.

Let me just state here, for the record, that I rarely find myself out and about and secretly desiring to “beat the crap out of” any person I happen across. Yes, even IF that person happens to be of a different race from my own. But that’s just my political correctness run amok, no doubt.

It is remarkable the social advancement that has occurred in just the last 20 years. That wouldn’t have been possible if new benchmarks for civility hadn’t been widely adopted.

Almost no one changes their beliefs though out life, they just die and the next generation grows up in a more socially advanced world, if political correctness is doing anything it’s protecting younger people from the ignorance, mistrust and fear of the last generation.

So it’s no surprise to me the party most opposed to political correctness is the one with the lion’s share of the elderly.

“It is our job to pretend to be better than we are to enable the next generation to be better than we are.” -anonymous

I think the bigger danger is patriotic correctness. Somewhere there is a happy medium between spitting on returning soldiers and the never ending hero worship that they receive now.

Treating people with respect, regardless of their race, gender, religion, or sexual preferences- that’s just common courtesy. If that is political correctness, then political correctness is good.

Nah, he’s my no-account cousin. Man, dude’s a dick.

The best part of political correctness imo was the removal of some of the more “offensive” words thrown around in the 1970’s. Certainly with regards to race and sexuality. It has unfortunately also been used to close down debate, and used for political advantage. The last point shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Politicians(of all stripes) being willing to do whatever it takes to neutralise their opposition. Sometimes for high ideals, too often for petty politics.

This is absurd. What do you even mean by this? Do you mean that, when someone is called “politically correct”, they don’t cringe and roll over in a posture of submission? Do you mean that when bigots try to defend their bigoted arguments by attacking political correctness, other folks continue to call them out on their bigotry? What do you even mean?

Bonus: give examples. And if you give this thread as an example, we will all point and laugh.

I’m surprised Dopers have trouble processing OP. The “box most of the citizens are comfortable with” is … having a white president.

I’m wondering if the OP is actually Rorschach.

Actually, no.

Are you saying no politician or political movement has tried to close down debates on social issues in the past 20 years? Because here in the UK they certainly have. The history of the use and abuse of power shows every generation has had its free speech limits. Many of the limits intentionally used to control others. I view those in power as sob’s throughout history. Today’s politicians are little different than any past regime that sought to curb free speech(excpet now they are “labelled” and shouted down rather than imprisoned or burnt at the stake).

Given that it is set in Atlantic City, which will be under water, all the pieces should be fish.

What are you talking about? Are you saying that when someone says something racist, people call them on being racist, and being racist is so socially unacceptable that they get embarrassed about continuing to say the racist things and they stop saying them? If not, would you give an example of what you’re talking about?

That’s a pretty big fucking difference!

I’m saying none have succeeded.

No, its not really. When the political class have zero tolerance for certain types of speech then it cuts off certain debates, views, and ideologies from political process or political power. The “violence inherent in the system” to quote Monty Python is not there, but the intolerance most certainly is. The manipulation of thought, speech and political boundaries are as oppressive as they were in much of authoritarian Europe.

I invite you over to the UK. I suspect the situation in the US is slightly better than here, but not by much.

Count me as another vote for “big fucking difference.” Being shouted down or called names can stifle debate, but it’s non-lethal.

Are you shitting me? Okay, here you go: I’m going to give you two choices.

CHOICE #1: I’m going to put you in a society in which you are burnt at the stake when you express an unpopular opinion–and it’s a society where your most cherished opinions are unpopular. You’re guaranteed to be burnt if you ever express one of your unpopular opinions. I’m also going to give you a purse of money.
CHOICE #2: I’m going to put you in a society where you will be “labelled” and shouted down when you express an unpopular opinion–and it’s a society where your most cherished opinions are unpopular. You’re guaranteed to be “labelled” and shouted down if you ever express one of your unpopular opinions. I’m not going to give you a purse of money.

Now here’s my question. How much money needs to be in that purse for you to take the first choice?

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization. ~Sigmund Freud