Political figures public displays of civic/historical ignorance?

NC had a state senator say a woman can’t get pregnant during rape because “the juices don’t flow” And yes he was a Republican. He was also a dentist so he had basic medical training.

Or Barack Obama claiming his grandfather had help liberate Treblinka (which was actually liberated by the Russians).

Actually, Obama said he had an uncle who helped liberate Auschwitz. When it was pointed out that it was the Russians who liberated Auschwitz, the Obama campaign said he really meant Buchenwald.

Which I think was then factually documented…

Obama’s uncle was indeed at Buchenwald while serving in the US armed forces, though I suppose his actual role in “liberating” it may be up for debate.

“As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?” --Sarah Palin one month before becoming the Republican candidate for vice president.

You could argue that there hasn’t been a “pure” democracy since ancient Greece, of course. Considering that modern democracies involve having an elected figure make the decision rather than have every decision subject to a vote.

Hell it’s arguable if the United States in 1812 was what we consider a “democracy”. We did have a more liberal franchise than the UK, but for the most part only white men who owned land and/or payed a certain amount in taxes were allowed to vote. That’s hardly “democractic” by modern standards.

Obama also claimed that the 1965 march in Selma Alabama resulted in his conception. Obama was born in 1961.

Regards,
Shodan

This might help:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,946700,00.html

In a similar vein, Hillary Clinton claimed- not once but several times- to have been named for Sir Edmund Hillary of Everest fame as her parents’ way of challenging and inspiring her not to accept obstacles. She was in fact 6 years old when Sir Edmund scaled Everest and he was virtually unknown to most people (especially middle class Americans) prior to that. Confronted with this info she claimed that her mother had read a magazine article on his plans, a claim which also had problems. Later she claimed that her mother told her after Hillary climbed Everest this was who she was named for and she had believed her. I think that most recently she admitted through a spokesperson that there’s no connection at all between her name and Edmund Hillary.

Actually, the Constitution does not specifiy the order of succession beyond the Veep but rather gives Congress the authority to provide by law who shall serve should the Prez and Veep slots be vacant (Article II, Section 1, Clause 6). The law governing the order of succession at the time of Haig’s statement (as well as today) is the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 which indeed places the Secretary of State fifth after the Speaker and President Pro Tempore. Prior to that, however, the Secretary of State WAS the third on the list, under the Presidential Succession Act of 1886. Maybe Haig (born in 1924) was remembering back to his high school civics.

That’s not what your link (Fox News) says that he said. They claim that he said that there is a 75% chance that the polar ice cap could melt completely during the summers in the next five to seven years. That’s quite different from your interpretation.

When the scientist that he referenced denied that he would ever be so exact, Gore then said that the scientist had said that that was a “ballpark figure” when he talked with Gore.