POLL: How Many Continents? Oceans? What Are They?

1. 38
  2. NZ

3a. 4
3b. Europe, Asia, S America, N America, Africa, Antartica and Oceania/Australasia

4a. 4
4b. Arctic, Indian, Pacific and Atlantic.

“Australasia” must be a NZ construct as no one else has mentioned it, but that was where we were taught that New Zealand was (well when I was at school anyway). We just didn’t like to be continentless I guess.

Question; Does all of the middle East belong to Asia, continent wise?

3a. SEVEN, 7!

I can count!

Egypt, Algeria, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia are African and Turkey considers itself European, so no.

Well I was talking about countries like Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Qatar, Dubai etc.

Most of the ones you mentioned are geographicaly in Africa no matter where they are culturaly and it looks like Turkey may eventually be accepted into the EU so that may say something.

1. 22
  2. NE United States

3a. Seven
3b. Asia, N. America, S. America, Asia, Europe, Australia, Antarctica

4a. 4
4b. Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic

1. I was taught in Junior High that some consider Europe and Asia to be one continent, Eurasia. I have also seen maps that refer to the greater Australia area (including New Zealand, and other islands around it) to be a continent called Oceania. I assume this is because places like New Zealand were “continent-less,” although yes, theywere part of the Australian continent, most people consider the continent and country of Australia to be the same, when in fact, there are a few more places in the continent, so I guess someone renamed it.

…apart from me!!!

1. 27

2. U.S.

3. Seven (or siz)

4. Europe, Asia (or Eurasia), Africa, Australia, N. America, S. America, Antarctica

5. Four

6. Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic.

My mom’s answers are different. Hers are:

1. 60

2. U.S.

3. Seven

4. see above

5. Five

6. Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, Antarctic

That’s what she was taught in grammar school in the 1940s and 1950s.

41, U.S.A.

Continents: 6 – Eurasia, N. America, S. America, Africa, Australia, Antarctica

Oceans: 3 – Atlantic, Pacific, Indian

That thing between Eurasia and Canada isn’t an ocean, it’s a sea with delusions of grandeur. And don’t even get me started on Oceania.

Look at a globe, rather than a typical map, and re-argue that point.

I did that before posting; it lacks the grandeur of even the Indian Ocean, much less the Atlantic or Pacific, it’s practically landlocked, and most of it is really quite shallow. Maybe when the polar ice caps melt, I’ll look at it differently.

I won’t get you started but I would like to know which continent New Zealand is in. Baring in mind that continent is as much a political reality as it is a geographical one.

1. 34

2. U.S.

3. 7
    3a. N. America, S. America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, Antarctica

Q.N. Jones, I learned it in grade school the same way your mom did.
4. 5 oceans
4a. Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic, Antarctic

1. Although later I head of the classification of just 4 oceans instead, where the “Antarctic” was not included as an ocean, later on in life. In grade school I was taught those 5.

And I always heard Australia referred to both as a continent and an island.

It’s Australian, as is New Guinea. Cite.

1. 24
  2. Germany

3a. 6
3b. Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe

4a. 3-4
4b. Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Ocean plus a separate “Northern Polar Sea”

kellner, is the Americas as one continent how it was taught in your school?

1. 21
  2. U.S.

3a. 7
3b. North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica

4a. 4
4b. Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic

22, United States, 7 continents (Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, Antartica), 4 oceans (Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic). Any further questions?

IIRC it was mentioned that the classification was debatable, but I don’t remember the specifics. I don’t even know if there was an authoritative answer. When we had geography as a subject in school for the first time, that wasn’t a questioned that anyone would have asked seriously in a test or so.
However that is the “traditional” version here. For example, we see nothing wrong with the olympic flag (as long as Antarctica doesn’t participate.)

New Zealand’s a frickin’ island group, and therefore is not on a continent, by definition. Tectonic plates are not continents, the Greater East Asia Co-Propserit Sphere is not a continent, and ploitifcal unions are not continents. This is why Europe is not a continent.

Political, dammit. Frickin cursor keeps moving around…