POLL: How was your vaccine reaction?

Had the first injection of the Psisor vaccine about noon Friday. Felt a bit tired for the rest of the day.
The worst part was the attack of nausea that occurred about 12 hours after being vaccinated. I probably
made it worst by having a cup of day old coffee and a couple of alcoholic drinks that evening. Went
straight to bed after throwing up my dinner about midnight Friday.
My arm ached a bit for about a 48 hours.

Felt tired Saturday and had a headache on Sunday morning. After that I was back to normal. Looking
forward now to the 2nd shot and getting this over with.

First shot had a sore arm - actually pretty darn sore - for two days and some fatigue.

Second shot had a somewhat less sore arm for two days, some fatigue, and a couple hours of chills on the morning after.

Neither of which was anywhere near the eight days of misery I had with actual covid infection.

Pfizer.
First shot was no big deal. Shot was painless, arm sore for two days.
2nd one was also painless, but got bad chills the 2nd night - had to put my sweatshirt on and sit outside (A/C is on here). Pretty much back to normal in 36 hours.

JJ 1-shot

Had been having very minor low back tightness. By evening, back pain was so bad I could hardly get out of bed. I was running a fever, and shaking as badly as I ever have w/ flu. Fever/shakes gone by next morning, back pain sgradualy improved over the next week.

After the second shot, chills and body aches. They were mild and only lasted a few hours, though.
ETA: Pfizer

I’m about to get my first dose this afternoon so I’ll return tomorrow to let you know how it went.

As for having a severe reaction to your first shot, wifey says that can happen if you’ve been exposed to COVID previously (and presumably might be still fighting it off in a low-grade way…?). She’s convinced she’s been exposed before and that today’s shot will result in fever, chills etc. We shall see.

First dose of Pfizer 24 hours ago now. No soreness at injection site, although that arm was a bit sore from exercising the day before so it’s possible some slight discomfort from the shot was masked. However, about 12 hours later, just before I was getting ready for bed, I had about a 5 to 8 minute spell of light-headedness and mild nausea, which is very unusual for me. It passed quickly, and everything seems fine today.

Pfizer first shot last Friday. Soreness at injection site but no other side effects. Went for a bike ride Saturday and was a bit wiped-out afterward, but not unusually so.

Shingles shots did result in soreness, and the second one definitely poked my immune system: fevery, sweaty night followed by a day of fatigue. Not so with the COVID vaccine (yet - I still have the 2nd dose in a couple weeks).

My friend had the J&J and had a similar reaction. I’d be curious if that holds true with a larger sample.

They did our first Pfizer shots at our workplace. After the shot we had to stick around for 15 minutes to make sure no one had a bad reaction. I spent the 15 minutes heavily massaging the injection site and was surprised nobody else was doing the same. I had no arm soreness at all.

I got the J&J shot on Thursday, April 1. I was bone tired the next day, but by Saturday I’d forgotten all about it.

I spent the 15 minutes heavily massaging the injection site and was surprised nobody else was doing the same.

They specifically cautioned against doing that when we got the shot.

My arm hurt quite a bit after several hours, but not right at the injection site. I don’t think massaging it at the site, just after the injection, would have made a lick of difference.

First shot, nothing. Second shot I was a bit tired two days after the vaccination, but not very. And not much more tired if I had gotten up in the night a few times.
But I’m very good with shots.

My primary reaction to first Pfizer shot was an overwhelming fatigue a couple hours before my normal bed time and of course the obligatory sore arm.

I was worried about what the 2nd shot would bring, and even blocked the next day as “out” on my work calendar. I had a mild headache the evening of the shot, and the next day, maybe day and a half, I had that feeling you get when you think you might be coming down with a cold. A little scratchy throat, some sniffles, a little tired. And the sore arm. But that’s as bad as it got. I ended up working as per normal.

I’ve got a thread where I posted every few hours about reaction to the J&J shot. It’s been a while now, and what stands out in my mind, without looking back at what I wrote at the time, is that my muscles were a little stiff, like I helped someone move the day before, or like they occasionally get with a very bad cold. OTC medicine knocked the pain out. It was long enough after the shot, that it seemed OK to take.

I do want to add a couple data points of uncommon reactions I’ve read about by trusted friends.

1. Trusted friend (a teacher in her early 50s) got her Moderna vaccine March 2.

The COVID Vaccine… so, I have come to realize that I am part of the 2.5 in a million that is allergic to the Moderna vaccine. “Just doing my part” has turned into quite an ordeal as far as “just being able to breathe normally.” As someone that has had anaphylactic allergies for most of my life, I did research, read the ingredients, took in every article I could find, asked health care workers, etc. With the government and community pressures of getting schools back to full, in person learning as soon as possible and being a teacher, I felt compelled to do whatever I could to protect me and my family from this virus. But, now that I am in a different risk category, I definitely regret my decision.
Within 10 minutes of getting the vaccine, I started having issues. I am now on day 5 of still having breathing issues and swelling in my face, lips, eyes, hands and feet. My lungs feel like I have a concrete block weighing on them. I am still taking meds to keep these issues in check and don’t know how long it will take to work through my system. I have never had an anaphylactic allergy affect me for this long with such a stronghold on normal breathing. If you are someone that suffers from severe allergies, I strongly caution you to trust your intuition. This reaction is no joke. I have never left an ER after allergy treatments still unsure if I should actually leave because my breathing still hadn’t become much easier. It is definitely very scary!

Eleven days later she was still having problems and got carted off in an ambulance for more anaphylaxis. She posted 4 weeks post-shot that she was still having breathing problems. She happens to be a red head, and I know red heads have some different stuff going on in their bodies (they have issues with anesthesia yeah?) so that may be something to consider. Obviously she won’t be getting a second shot.

1. Trusted friend, a type 1 diabetic in her early 40s, got “covid arm” from her second Moderna shot. CDC says:

CDC has learned of reports that some people have experienced a red, itchy, swollen, or painful rash where they got the shot. These rashes can start a few days to more than a week after the first shot and are sometimes quite large. These rashes are also known as “COVID arm.” If you experience “COVID arm” after getting the first shot, you should still get the second shot at the recommended interval if the vaccine you got needs a second shot. Tell your vaccination provider that you experienced a rash or “COVID arm” after the first shot. Your vaccination provider may recommend that you get the second shot in the opposite arm.

If the rash is itchy, you can take an antihistamine. If it is painful, you can take a pain medication like acetaminophen or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

My mom got “Covid arm” – at least that’s what she called it. I don’t know if it was itchy, but she had severe swelling and redness.

For what it’s worth on the allergies front, I have constant skin allergy issues, and I take quite a bit of allergy medication for them on a daily basis. I’ve been given epinephrine once for full body severe hives. On that occasion, I was given a course of steroids, and I still had breakthrough hives every day for hours before it was time to take the next dose. It lasted a week.

For my vaccination, they had me consult with a doctor before getting the shot. I was cleared, and got it. I’ve had no issues allergy-wise.* As I understand it, the primary caution isn’t just about severe allergies, it’s about prior anaphylaxis, or prior reactions to the ingredients or prior vaccinations.

*Just throwing my own anecdote out there.

I just got my J&J a few hours ago and my arm is super sore. I don’t usually feel sore after shots. I feel a little off, but it also might be the celebratory Burger King I got because I didn’t know if I’d be up to cooking dinner. I’m really tired, but I also didn’t sleep well last night. I’d like to take some painkillers, but they said to wait four hours. I’ll pop some tylenol before bed.

My mother actually did complain of pleurisy like symptoms for about a night, which I never got.