POLL: How was your vaccine reaction?

Today I voted and posted in the other vaccination poll, but my answer seems to be more suitable for this thread, so I repost it here:

Whelp, OP here. I’m on day 5 of Moderna and I still feel exhausted a droopy-eyed today. No other complaints at this point, though earlier in the process I was definitely an achy-headachy mess.

I’m 2 hours post-Moderna and I feel fine. My wife got it as well and is also side-effect free. Hopefully it stays that way for both of us.

Great thread, thanks. It’s nice to get all this feedback. I’m not due for the first one for a couple of weeks yet, but I’ll check in when I get it. Meanwhile it’s good to be prepared.

My arm killed me when I got my shingles shot, so I remembered this time to not get the jab on my sleeping side arm. :blush:

I had Moderna, and the first shot was just arm soreness at the injection site that lasted a day or so.

The second shot gave me fever (and accompanying chills) that lasted almost two days. The onset was not for at least 8-10 hours after the shot. My younger sister had slightly worse symptoms, plus she threw up. My older sister said she had no reactions other than a slightly sore arm.

Is it true that a stronger immune system will trigger a stronger response to the vaccination? I’d heard that but haven’t seen any confirmation.

Oh, and I accidentally posted the same results for both survey questions. You said changes could be made. How?

First Pfizer shot 8 days ago. The shot itself didn’t hurt. My shoulders were sore an hour later, for the rest of the day. I still have a bit of pain at the injection site.

My wife and kid felt pretty shitty the day after the first dose but had no reaction to the second dose. We all have antibodies from 10 months ago.

I don’t think anyone knows at this point. I’ve also heard if you’ve had covid, knowingly or otherwise, the first shot can be the worse of the two. No idea if that’s true.

Click the “Show Vote” button under the poll, and you’ll see what you selected. You can now change it and revote.

Thanks!

just got my first shot of the pfizer vaccine 24 hours ago. Woke up this morning with headache sore throat and some extremely mild and intermittent nausea.
I’ve been trying to sleep it off

quick eta, skimming through the thread I see a lot of folks reporting increased thirst, I have this also but didn’t initially include it since I drink a LOT of coffee normally and am usually a little thirsty

I got my first Pfizer on Monday morning. I had a sore back in the evening but it seems unfair to pin that on the vaccine since I jumped on my bike for a 68 mile ride immediately after the shot (well, 15 minutes after the shot). That said, I typically never get a sore back, so I do wonder.

Pfizer #1 shot 2.5 weeks ago. Just a sore arm for a day or so. I almost wish I hadn’t read this thread until after shot #2, which is coming up on Sunday! I have never had any reaction worse than a sore arm with a vaccine, so fingers crossed that my winning streak continues.

I got my first Pfizer shot on the 3rd of this month. The shot itself hurt, but it was very quick, so no worries there. The ache in my arm was noticeable for a day or two. I woke up the night of the 4th not feeling well at all, but I can’t swear it wasn’t the Easter festivities that caused it.

But I was well enough to start a new job on the 5th and then on the 6th, I felt marvelous for awhile. I think I’m back to normal now, for whatever that means these days.

Moderna shot #1, nothing but some soreness at the injection site.

I got Moderna shot #2 yesterday. Had some soreness by yesterday evening. Today I’m feeling a little “foggy,” kind of like when you’ve stayed awake for too long. Even though I slept fine last night, so I attribute the fogginess to the vaccine, not any lack of sleep.

Pfizer dose 1 a few days ago. Arm was quite sore for 24 hrs. Other than that, everything was fine.

The “overabundance of caution” thing seems to be getting out of hand, with particular reference to the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. From a Fox News story:

" A coronavirus vaccine site in Georgia became the fourth US location this week to pause its administration of the Johnson & Johnson jab after concerns over possible adverse reactions, a report said."

“Eight people experienced lightheadedness after getting the shot Wednesday at the Cumming Fairgrounds, though health officials believe that could have simply been caused by the hot weather, WSB-TV reported.”

Symptoms like lightheadedness, dizziness and nausea are typically associated with vasovagal reactions and are commonly seen after injections of any type or in association with other medical procedures.

Trumpeting these as “vaccine reactions” is in my opinion dumb.

It’s a common reaction to knowing there’s a needle in you. Heck, my mom gets it every time she sits up too quickly. (she used to faint a lot as a girl.)

I don’t think it’s crazy to report it as a “vaccine reaction”, but I think it’s incredibly dumb to discourage anyone from being vaccinated due to that risk. And saying it is a reason for shutting down a site (or, for that matter, actually shutting down a site due to it) is incredibly stupid. That’s like saying you shouldn’t get a measles shot because your arm might be sore for a few hours.

More investigation is, of course necessary, but my strong suspicion (admitting it carries no weight) is that these clusters are essentially mass hysteria events. I think a couple of people happen to have a typical vasovagal reaction to the shot. Then some people see that, and due to being scared about the shot in the first place, get panicky and trigger their own reactions, and then, other people, seeing 4 or more people fainting, etc., are then triggered, and so forth.

It’s possible they do have to shut it down to stop it. Telling people not to panic is rarely effective once it’s happening.

I’m not sure what they can do to stop it from happening.

I also won’t be totally shocked if I’m wrong. Like I said, this is a hunch by a lay person.

There’s no need to shut anything down because there’s no need to prevent it from happening. It’s common, it’s harmless, people recover on their own in a couple of minutes.

The only real risk is that someone will fall and hurt themselves, or knock stuff over. This can be prevented by having people sit for a minute after being vaccinated.

So… Maybe, just maybe, they should slow down the event a little to allow time to require everyone to sit for a bit. But stopping the event just makes it sound scary and exacerbates the issue.

Fainting is quite common when people donate blood. I’ve never heard of a blood drive shut down due to a couple of people fainting. The staff are trained to deal with it, and no one gets hurt.

I’m saying I suspect that it’s something that is propagating due to the power of suggestion/panic. Not just the usual rate of people feeling faint. And once it gets into double digits, they feel the need to stop it. But maybe you’re right. If so, I can’t imagine why public health officials would shut down a vaccination site that was proceeding exactly as expected.

A bit TMI:

My menstrual pain is at its usual very high level, so it often cancels out any arm pain.