Poll: Which Back to the Future is Your Favorite

First by miles.

Then 3 then 2 but a bit of a toss up for them. 2 was worse but had its moments.

I would vote 3,1,2. I thought the western motif was good. I found #2 somewhat repetitive and redundant.

It’s fast-moving in the sense that there’s a lot of set pieces crammed into the movie (like the amazing hoverboard scene), but the whole 2015 section is practically a separate story from the rest of the film (Biff goes back and changes history and Marty has to go back and undo those changes).

I think I read somewhere that the writers of BTTF 2 kind of regretted that BTTF 1 ended with “We have to go to the future and deal with your kids!” because that tied their hands a bit when it came to writing the sequel.

Original one. Not a fan of the others. I’m not sorry I saw the latter two, but don’t care to see them again. ( though I saw II three times )

I recall back when II ( 2 ) was in theaters, watching/listening to a review whereby the reviewer stated that he thought the producers/director must have felt the whole parallel universe thing was, and would be so confusing to the audience, or not realized by the audience that the whole concept was literally spelled out on a chalkboard by Doc Watson as part of the actual plot, as a way of guiding the viewer.

Yeah, I heard that somewhere, too (that ‘deal with your kids’ was just a throwaway line, and never intended to be the genesis of another movie).

Still, it worked out in an interesting way–at the very least it gave Michael J. Fox the chance to show some comic versatility (in playing said kids).

There are plenty of cases where I totally understand and respect people’s tastes. Do you prefer Star Wars Ep. IV because it has the most self contained story? Or Ep V where things get darker? Or even Ep VI because the throne room confrontation wraps it all up? Sure, fine.

But I just can not conceive of anyone preferring BTTF 2 or 3 over 1. The first movie is just one of the most perfect films ever made. Just about every joke lands. Every callback has a purpose. So many iconic moments. A perfectly constructed plot. Wonderful pacing. Just enough denoument. A true gem.

BTTF 2 is a muddled not-particularly-fun mess. BTTF 3 is… a western? With super-pyro logs? I mean, they’re not objectively bad or anything. But they’re solidly in the C range, while BTTF1 is a rare A/A+.

BTTF2 came out nearly on my birthday and I was SO EXCITED for it, as I was just at the right age to be super super into it… and the sad trombone letdown of it still lingers to this day.

It’s my favorite because I was 9 when I first watched it and loved every bit of it. Looking back at it, it’s reach definitely exceeded its grasp, but I honestly still love the crazy stuff they did with it. The silly future, the darkest timeline, looping back on the first movie. 1 and 3 are great “stuck in time” movies, but 2 is the only one that’s really about the crazy stuff that would happen if you had a time machine. The first one is undeniably a better film, but that wasn’t the question.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. It’s a muddled mess, but it’s an incredibly fun one.

1 is a classic.

2 is great fun, and worth it just for Doc Brown characterizing the potential destruction of the entire universe as a “worst case scenario”.

3 had always been my least favorite, but has grown on my recently.

Same here. 1 is clearly the best movie, but if all three were on TV at the exact same time, I feel like I’m more likely to turn on #3.