Polygamy - non-religious objections ?

Actually, yes. Including South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya, and many countries in between. But sorry if I wasn’t specific enough, I was simply pointing out an example.

I simply point to this current example of polygamy between mutually consenting adults, where the rights of women are protected by law, directly counter to the quote I was responding to. As for your next paragraph, if you don’t think the article answered all your questions, then post something that refutes the point, instead of simply questioning what isn’t addressed.

I have no interest to describe how “American” polygamous marriages might work. It need not be any different from how “traditional” marriage works, so long as it is not prohibited. An interesting question might be how laws could encourage/better accommodate polygamy, but not for this thread.

So to UDS’ first question, by state laws that prohibit adultery, cohabitation, and bigamy.

And by the way, if you think polyamory simply means having multiple sexual partners, then you’ve missed the meaning of the word. I agree the OP means marriage, my reference was broader than simply legal recognition, but practical application.

And what are the consequences for others than those involved to which you refer?

How is that converse relevent? No one is suggesting that a woman be denied the opportunity to enter into an exclusive relationship…

And yes, I believe most people interested in practicing polygamy in the US fully respect the rights of women. I reassert that images of Mormon Fundamentalist communities are in no way representative.

If you review the thread, you will see your reference to what is “true”. I have already addressed your argument related to “suppression”, and I won’t repeat it, other than I find your word choice ironic.

I have no burden to prove that monogamy hasn’t met societies needs. Unless you are a strong devotee to the “one true way”…

Yep. But I’m not going to (here). I don’t need to - it’s not my burden.

Uh, yeah. I believe it is a failure of society to openly accept, if not at least tolerate, polygamy. And I believe that failure will eventually fall to social change - which is when the failure is recognized.

And to hit your last two questions, general social tolerance would be fine, and please show me where South African women are prevented from taking two husbands?

But the OP asks for objections. How can we object (or, for that matter, support) “American” polygamous marriage if we don’t know what it is?

It must be different, if only because “traditional” marriage is mutually exclusive, and the law recognised and enforces that. Plainly, the law is going to have to treat polygamous marriages differently.

If it’s not for this thread, it’s an essential precursor to this thread. How can we object to polygamous marriage if we don’t know what kind of an institution it is?

Pardon my ignorance; I’m not American. Some states have laws prohibiting cohabitation? I’m appalled! You guys should move to some place where human rights are protected!

As for laws dealing with adultery, the only ones I’m aware of – happy to be corrected, of course – are incidents of the laws of marriage, e.g. laws which make adultery a matrimonial wrong, entitling the “wronged” spouse to seek a divorce (in jurisdictions where divorce is fault-based). Plainly, such laws don’t deter polygamous relationships where all the parties consent. Are there other laws on adultery?

The laws on bigamy, as I understand it – and again I’m happy to be corrected – have nothing to do with “familial structures”. They penalise people who go through a second marriage ceremony while a first marriage subsists. But I don’t think there’s any penalty for establishing a second, or extended, or multiple-partner family, is there?

I accept I used the term wrongly, and in fact I spotted that shortly after pressing “submit”. Damn!

You mean the consequences of marriage for person other than the spouses? Eeryone else is required to accept that the spouses are married and this has lots of consequences, major and minor. To take a few at random, the hospital is required to accept that Mrs A is Mr A’s next of kin, and accordingly defer to her wishes rather than the wishes of Mr A’s parents or siblings where the wishes of the next of kin are relevant. Ms B, who passionately loves Mr A, is unable to marry him while that marriage subsists. Mr C. who loves Mrs A, is similarly affected. In the event of a dispute between the As, courts must recognise the relationship between them and (among other things) consider awarding maintenance to Mrs A. Mrs A may get legal aid in this endeavour, so affecting taxpayers. Mrs A’s children are entitled to have it presumed that Mr A is their father, unless the contrary is shown, and to assert their rights against him and, on his death, against his estate; they are not put to the burden of proving paternity. This obviously affects not just Mr A’s children, but those who would inherit his estate if he didn’t have any children (or if paternity was required to be proved and couldn’t be). Similarly Mrs A’s inheritance rights affect those who would inherit if Mr A were unmarried. I could go on.

The point about these is that they largely depend on Mrs A being the only person who is Mr A’s spouse. If Mrs A has three husbands, there can be no presumption that any one of them is the father of her children. If Mr A has two wives, who is the next of kin so far as next of kin decisions are concerned? Mrs A’s right to maintenance must be affected if Mr A has a parallel obligation to maintain other wives (and if she has a parallel right to be maintained by other husbands). And so forth.

I’m not saying these issues can’t be addressed, but we need to know how. As I understand it, most societies which practice polygamy have the concept of a senior spouse and position, whose rights are different in nature from the rights and positions of secondary spouses, with consequent implications for the rights and status of the children of the different spouses. Is there any functioning example where this is not the case, or do we have to build one from the ground up?

Indeed they are. Polygamy is legal. Mrs A marries Mr A. What assurance does she have that Mr A will not subsequently marry someone else? This is not an exclusive relationship.

Again, you’ll have to excuse my ignorance as a non-American. What makes you believe that most people interested in practicing polygamy in the US fully respect the rights of women? How can you form this view if they haven’t articulated their vision of how polygamy would work?

I’m afraid I didn’t make myself clear. I think you are contradicting yourself. Look at these two statements from your earlier post.

And every social change is an indication of a failure of the previous institution to address those needs. And I posit our society’s lack of acceptance of polygamous (or polyamorous) unions reflects such a failure.

The first statement is that a change in a social institution indicates the failure of the institution. The second is that the fact that we *haven’t * changed monogamous marriage reflects the failure of monogamous marriage. The second statement doesn’t seem right on its own terms, and in any event it is directly contradicted by the first.

The new South African law referred to in the piece to which you linked relates to the legal recognition of marriages celebrated according to the customs and usages of South African indigenous communities, and since the the social rules relating to customary marriages are not written down, I haven’t been able to find a cite which states explicitly that the South African tradtional indigenous marriage customs permits polygyny but not polyandry. But the discussions of it I have found through Google all talk about it in terms of polygyny – one husband, several wives. I can’t find anything which suggests that polyandry is accommodated.

In any event, it is you who assert that the South African arrangements afford equal rights to women; surely the burden is on you here?

Uh huh. Let us substitute the nonsense word “grifnik” for polygamy.

OP: “Can anyone offer a cogent non-religious objection to grifnik?”

Poster A: “Someone needs to tell me what ‘grifnik’ is first. I don’t know what you mean when you say that.”

Poster B: “I have no interest in describing what ‘grifnik’ is, the important thing is that ‘grifik’ not be prohibited by law.”

Polygamy as it currently exists in most cultures where it is common practice would be unacceptable in the US (or any other first-world nation) for a variety of reasons, most involving abuses of the rights of women and children. I think that most people in favor of polygamous marriage in the US are not interested in an abusive or exploitative kind of polygamy like that practiced in other cultures, but that they have something else in mind.

Fine and good, but I am not going to buy a pig in a poke. I don’t know what this “something else” is any more than I know what “grifnik” is. If you want my approval, you have to tell me what it is I am meant to approve of. If you cannot describe a form of legally recognized polygamous marriage that would give equal rights to men and women and would not involve exploiting anyone then I will be forced to conclude that you are trying to pull a fast one.

And if either one of the As doesn’t want to be in a non-exclusive relationship, they’re free to make an agreement to that effect or leave that relationship if the other person takes on an additional partner. If either of them cares, which isn’t a given.

Personally, the scenarios for multiple marriage I’d most strongly favor would require that previously established spouses register consent to any additional contract. (I would also favor the existence of a scenario in which more than two people could sign on to the same contract, but I would not sign such a contract myself.)

Well, speaking anecdotally, I know casually probably over a hundred folks who are in multiple relationships, including a large number of women with multiple partnerships (such as myself); all of the gathering spaces I know for polyfolks tend to be fairly rough on people in non-egalitarian relationships (even those which are freely chosen or even to the preference of the people involved, in some cases). (Additionally, those folks who come into such areas with an attitude that suggests that they’re looking for broodmares tend to be pointed-and-laughed at at a bare minimum, and are more often driven away by the contempt and disgust.)

There are several activist polyamorous groups in existence. There are also a fairly large number of word-of-mouth chains that report on news articles dealing with polyamory and/or polygamy, and an intermittent spike of letter-writing campaigns that surface whenever someone tries to equate “polygamy” with “patriarchal polygyny”.

Hi Lilairen

Hmmm. That still doesn’t get us quite there. A relationship which I am free to leave if my partner takes another spouse isn’t what I consider an exclusive relationship. An exclusive relationship is one which excludes the possibility of another spouse.

But I could imagine a situation in which the society offers more than one model of marriage. A couple can choose the “monogamous” option, which precludes any further marriage unless the first marriage is dissolved, or the “polygamous” option, which doesn’t. (You could in fact extend the principal to accommodate more than two forms of marriage.) I still think, however, that the non-exclusive nature of polygamous marriages has implications which would have to be fully worked out before I could say that I objected to it, or that I didn’t.

You mean, if A and B are married, B cannot marry C unless A agrees?

QUOTE=Lilairen]Well, speaking anecdotally, I know casually probably over a hundred folks who are in multiple relationships, including a large number of women with multiple partnerships (such as myself); all of the gathering spaces I know for polyfolks tend to be fairly rough on people in non-egalitarian relationships (even those which are freely chosen or even to the preference of the people involved, in some cases). (Additionally, those folks who come into such areas with an attitude that suggests that they’re looking for broodmares tend to be pointed-and-laughed at at a bare minimum, and are more often driven away by the contempt and disgust.)

There are several activist polyamorous groups in existence. There are also a fairly large number of word-of-mouth chains that report on news articles dealing with polyamory and/or polygamy, and an intermittent spike of letter-writing campaigns that surface whenever someone tries to equate “polygamy” with “patriarchal polygyny”.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough; I accept what you say.

It sounds, though, as if you may be in a position to cast some light on the issues I have been raising with AZCowboy. Among the polyfolks of your acquaintance, is there a demand for the recognition of their relationships by people other than themselves? Do they want broad social acceptance, or are they looking for some legal status? If so, what legal status? Do some polyfolks express a desire to marry polygamously and, if so, what kind of marriage have they in mind? I don’t mean to be disparaging of their aspirations, but it does seem to me that a non-exclusive marriage must be radically different from what most of us customarily think of as marriage, and I would like to see those differences worked out. Polyfolks, I would expect, have done more thinking about this than most.

If one of my partners were to do something that made a relationship with him no longer feasable or pleasant for me, I would leave. That’s the only thing that I can do to conclusively be in relationships that I want to be in.

If I can’t trust my partners to keep the agreements that I want for being in a relationship with them, then I just plain shouldn’t be in a relationship with them. If you can’t trust your partner to not take another spouse if you don’t want said partner to do so, why would you be in a relationship with that person?

At minimum, in the United States, it would take a lot of banging on the tax code and some consideration for how property laws are handled. Also health care (which is, in my opinion, a whole additional debate for political reasons).

Yup. I’m big on the whole consent thing. (Which is partly what informs my response at the beginning of this; I don’t consent to being in a monogamous relationship, and I can enforce that. People who don’t want to give consent to being in a non-monogamous relationship can enforce that the same way.)

First of all, there isn’t anything that can really be said to be the case for all of the people who are polyamorous. I’m putting that in right here at the beginning in case I accidentally sound like I’m saying something definitive. :wink:

I would suspect, though, that it’s a basic human thing for people to want other people to respect the existence and nature of their relationships, in whatever ways are appropriate. The majority of people I know from poly circles consider being in the closet to be a suboptimal choice, though sometimes a necessary one; a fair number of them (including myself) have serious, serious issues with being treated as something other than a partner for reasons of closeting.

Not all polyfolks have relationships that would be suited to polygamy. There’s a significant fraction which consist of, roughly, a dyadic partnership in which both members may be involved with other people but who don’t have spousal relationships with anyone other than the single primary partner. Such folks don’t have need of multiple marriage as their lives are currently constituted. There are also a significant number of poly people in my acquaintance who are actively opposed to getting married at all; many of them have this position because they consider marriage to be an essentially bigoted/discriminatory institution.

Now then: that being said, there are a fair number of people who have multiple-primary relationships, and a significant fraction of those are actively interested in being able to marry their partners. (I posted a link to the website of one such family upthread; they consider themselves a group marriage among four adults – both men married to both women, and the women additionally married to each other. I believe there are two legal marriages involved.) I also know of a triad (a woman and two men) who conducted two marriages within, I think, about a week of each other; one of those is legally constituted, but they don’t tell anyone which one it was.

Legal stuff – a lot of the litany that you may be familiar with from gay marriage discussions is also the case for poly families. It’s easier in some cases, especially where there are even numbers of men and women – my family, like OLQ, contains two legal marriages – but there is no legal support for the ties between those dyads. I would add to the usual immigration commentary that a friend of mine felt a need to be very, very careful when she was trying to import her now-husband, because their relationship is not closed; polygamy is one of those big-assed disqualifiers for attempting to get into the States on a marriage visa.
It might be easiest to talk about what concerns me for my family. Because we have two legal marriages in place, a lot of the protections that gays don’t have are in place at least partially; if something were to happen to me, I know that my husband would be sure to inform my mate and keep him involved in the situation. But my kids, when I have them, I intend to raise with four parents – and I want that relationship protected. I want my as-yet-hypothetical children protected, to be able to get care approved by any of their parents if need be, to be able to be picked up after school by any of their parents.

I also want my relationship with my mate recognised as a real relationship (and my husband’s relationship with his other partner recognised as a real relationship) – I noticed the way people treated my relationship with my husband differently when we got married, even though we’d been together for six? years at the time, and living together for several. It was a real relationship that counted more, and every so often I come to the feeling that my mate and I will never have something that counts as a “real” relationship to some people – no matter how much we love each other, no matter how committed we are, no matter how real our relationship actually is. Because we can’t get married.

I just got home today from spending a bit more than a week staying with my mate and his wife (long-distance relationships suck). I hope to see him again in a few months. I’ll definitely see both of them around Christmastime, when we all go and stay with my father for a few days. Someday I’ll meet their parents now that I’d be comfortable doing so (I wasn’t willing to do so unless they knew we were partners, as it would have felt too much like lying to them, and also closets tend to shove me vigorously in the direction of a stress breakdown). When she was in the hospital a couple of years ago, my husband called his mother, who’s a nurse, to talk about her condition; my mother-in-law still asks after her health occasionally. (And got very flustered when I told her how much it mattered to me that she did so.)

This is getting excessively personal and anecdotal, so I’ll stop now.

Lilairen, with respect, do you not think that the general ‘change in attitude’ toward those that get married is due mostly to the very nature of marriage as we currently define it? I imagine the exclusivity is a large part of the respect that it gets- that you’re ‘giving up’ other people to be with your soul mate (in theory, at least).
I know a lot of serial monogamists- they certainly don’t get much respect for being married, because they seem to have missed the whole point. It’s not seen as special, because they are ready to jump into it with pretty much anyone. While I’m not accusing you of this, can you not see how people might get this impression of a polygamous union?

And once again, I agree with Lamia. I don’t think that anyone on this thread is speaking out against polyamory. I know that I’m not, even though it’s not something that I could ever do. But we do need to know how it can work as a legally defined relationship.

My objection to legally sanctioned polygamy, i.e. according the “benefits” of marriage to voluntary collections of n people where n > 2 is one of practicality. The legal benefits of monogamous marriage are a parcel of default presumptions that generally work well for most people. For example, if you are incapacitated, your spouse makes the medical decisions. You can vary that if you wish, but for most people, the presumption works pretty well. Opponents of extending legal benefits of marriage to same-sex couples are essentially engaged in gender discrimination by imposing higher transaction costs on same-sex couples to achieve the same result that opposite-sex couples can achieve simply by getting married. Or, put another way, it is determining the availability of a legal benefit on the basis of the gender of the recipient. Once you get outside the realm of morality and scripture, the reasons for imposing such costs and conditions are very hard to justify.

Unlike monogamous relationships, where each partner’s responsibilities and rights with respect to the other can be fairly readily defined, polygamous relationships raise a whole host of problems as to who gets what and who gets to make what decisions. It is thus less amenable to default presumptions, which is essentially what the legal benefits of marriage are. Those in such relationships therefore already have to clarify, by means of legal documents, the various issues of decision-making, benefits, etc., and so the transaction costs that are imposed on polygamous families by not granting state recognition are essentially no different than those that would be imposed anyway even if there were state recognition.

Denying legal recognition of polygamous or polyandrous relationships also does not trip the wire of gender discrimination. Allocation of benefits based on the number of recipients trips fewer wires than allocation of benefits based on the gender of recipients.

Just my 0.02.

I’m not Lilairen, but I am the partner she was referring to in this case, so I can give you my answer. It’s my belief that the ‘change in attitude’ she was referring to is due mostly to the assumptions about the nature of marriage that most people make. Most people assume they know the reasons a couple got married, and they assume they know what marriage means for that couple. They are often wrong.

The ‘change in attitude’ she refers to happened among members of our immediate families, including my mother. Other than not knowing we were polyamorous, these people knew, in relatively good detail, how we felt about each other in the 6 years we’d been together and the 2 years of that we had lived together. They also knew that after the marriage ceremony, nothing about our relationship changed. Yes, the ceremony itself was significant event, but it fundamentally changed nothing about how we interacted. For all we were concerned, we’d been married for several years prior to the actual ceremony. The only differences were in tax benefits and other legal stuff, and in this new way we were treated.

As an example, after we were married, my mother finally stopped setting up separate bedrooms for us when we visited. For background, I’m 27, she’s 26, we married 3 years ago, and had been together for 6 years prior to that. We knew we were going to get married someday. My mother knew we were going to get married. My mother knew we’d been sleeping together (and by sleeping together, I’m not using a euphemism for having sex) for 2 years prior to being married. So why all of a sudden the change? Just because we’d finally gotten around to signing the papers? Oh, and just in case it matters, we had a civil marriage, in front of a Justice of the Peace, with only our two cats as witnesses.

So why the difference? As far as any of these people knew, we had been committed and exclusive for nearly 6 years. For 2 of those years we had been living together, in every way dealing with all of the issues a married couple would deal with. Yet we sign a piece of paper, and the next day we get treated differently. Nothing about our life had changed. Nothing about our feelings for each other had changed. Nothing about how we expressed those feelings had changed.

What I keep wondering is why this is so novel a concept. Doesn’t it make sense, when constructing a legal contract, to be able to accomodate various different circumstances? If you are entering into a contract, wouldn’t you like to be able to negotiate the terms of that contract? The fact that our society has a legal contract such as marriage which has only one set of terms and is not negotiable to include options that might deal with particular circumstances seems like a major oversight to me.

This is an illusion, and one that I wish less people shared. Every relationship between two people is different. Each person’s “love” is different. Each person’s needs for responsibilities and rights are different. I would argue that our society would be much better off if we acknowledged this fact, and let each couple (or group) define the set of responsibilities and rights for themselves, rather than assume we know how it will work for them.

Everyday there are examples of husbands who assume that being married gives them the right to make all the decisions for their wife. Every day there are examples of wives who assume that being married gives them the right to make all decisions for the husband. Every day there are examples of people who assume that if a couple is married, the husband makes all of the money and the wife stays at home raising kids. Every day there are examples of people who assume that because a couple is married, the wife will be able to make life or death decisions about her husbands health.

These are all assumptions. And assuming that any of these sets of assumptions can be applied to all marriages, or even any particular marriage, is stupid. The only people who can define the rights and responsibilities inherent in marriage are the people who are married. They are the only ones who know what responsibilities they can handle and what rights are important to them. Every couple needs to work these things out between themselves.

There is no one set of things that corresponds to a “healthy” relationship, be it marriage or not. A relationship is “healthy” if it works and the people involved are content with it. Each set of people should be able and required to define this for themselves.

So truly, if nothing about your life or feelings toward each other changed, and if nothing about how you expressed your feelings changed, why did you get married?

Amusingly enough, my mother asked this same question after she found out that we were polyamorous.

Simply, we got married for a number of reasons. Taxes and health insurance, to name two. But more importantly, we got married because by doing so we gained the social acceptance of our relationship as a “real relationship”. If we had stayed unmarried we would have had to deal with prejudice against our eventual children, my mother’s setting up of separate bedrooms (yes, it’s minor, but it was so very annoying), social prejudice against unmarried couples living and having sex together, etc.

Nothing between us may have changed, but how society regards us changed immensely.

The debate about same-sex marriage would not exist if the law did not confer benefits and rights on married people which heterosexual couples can obtain at a fraction of the transaction costs imposed on homosexual couples. While these benefits are perhaps not an ideal fit for everyone, they are generally good presumptions for a lot of people, and hence the law exists as it does.

I had assumed that the question was whether “polygamous marriage” should be legally recognized in the same way that monogamous heterosexual marriage is currently recognized. I gave reasons why they should not, echoing others in this thread who have pointed out that extending those benefits to multiple partner arrangements involves greater complexity than the law can readily provide.

Many opponents of same sex marriage can’t avoid falling back on the “because it’s icky” argument to explain why the availability of legal marriage benefits should be available (at least for 55 hours) to Britney Spears and denied to Melissa Etheridge simply because the former married a man and the latter a woman. With polygamy, it is very easy to demonstrate that extending the legal benefits of marriage to polygamous relationships creates problems for which the law cannot craft default presumptions.

The proposition you are making is the intriguing one of whether the law should even provide those benefits in the first place. While intriguing, it is not really responsive to any of the points I made. I assumed, as do the advocates and opponents of same-sex marriage, the existence of legal benefits for married people, and questioned the wisdom and practicality of extending those benefits to multiple partner arrangements. The question of whether those benefits should exist in the first place or not is a much more complicated debate, and perhaps merits a second thread.

Thing is, you’re assuming that the state necessarily needs to care about what is ‘healthy.’ I tend to think it should be more concerned with what is ‘stable.’ Marriages are perilously unstable as it is with 2 people- adding more players muddies the waters quite a bit, and makes EVERY transaction one that has to redefined and ready to justify should it come to litigation.

Generally, whenever anyone wants to advocate a cause for legal consideration, I have to ask- what if it goes wrong? Quite often, plan B is ‘if everyone can be mature adults, it can’t go wrong.’ Of course, this overlooks the fact that people are seldom mature adults when they need to be.

This isn’t about ‘feelings’ it’s about policy. Two different things.

My ex and I married (in a hurry) for financial aid reasons. We had been together for over two years at that point, and while we had no plans to marry, we discovered that the only way she could get financial aid was to become married. So we married.

One wonders how many people marry not out of love (you don’t need a certified document that proves you love someone else) but out of a desire for the incidents of marriage. Surely that’s a big part of why there’s such a clamor for gay marriage.

You’re right that it’s a much more complicated debate, and it’s not one I really want to get into. I don’t actually question the existence of the benefits, I question how they’re applied. I find the existence of a single, blanket application of those benefits to be prescriptive, limiting, and short-sighted.

I believe that the law ought to recognize that the benefits of marriage can and should be applied in different ways depending on the relationship(s) of the people involved, the responsibilities they feel they can agree to, and the rights they feel they need to be secure. The fact that law currently has only one way of dealing with it is a deficiency that I feel should be corrected.

[quote=stonebow]
Thing is, you’re assuming that the state necessarily needs to care about what is ‘healthy.’ I tend to think it should be more concerned with what is ‘stable.’ Marriages are perilously unstable as it is with 2 people- adding more players muddies the waters quite a bit, and makes EVERY transaction one that has to redefined and ready to justify should it come to litigation.[/quot]

That was a poor choice of words, I guess. I was trying to use it to address what I saw as an invalid underlying assumption that marriage works the same way for everyone.

To address your point on litigation, though, I would argue that this is the case even in 2 person marriages when dealing with an acrimonious divorce. Every dollar is questioned, fought over, and ultimately dealt with somehow, usually requiring a lot of time, effort, and money. Adding more players makes it somewhat more complicated, yes. but not beyond the bounds of what already happens in some divorces. IMO, anyway.

I agree with you here, and I wasn’t trying to get off-topic into fuzzy feelings. I certainly don’t agree with ‘if everyone can be mature adults, it can’t go wrong.’ What I advocate is that, instead of assuming a ‘default contract’ that isn’t really defined well in anyone’s mind, we require everyone to explicitly negotiate what contract is being agreed to.

When you bring up the assumption of Plan B as ‘if everyone can be mature adults, it can’t go wrong’, I see that as a generic problem that applies to millions of people getting married in traditional monogamous couples every day. It can also be a problem for polyamorous relationships, but it’s a problem we already have with traditional relationships.

In my mind, this means that, through the discussion of legally recognizing polyamorous relationships, or same-sex relationships, we need to look at over-hauling the entire way we treat marriage in a legal sense.

I guess that does put me a little outside the argument. As you and jeevmon pointed out, every seems to assume a default set of benefits. I think this assumption is stupid, and I wish people would stop making it. I’m probably not going to get my wish anytime soon, however.

On the other hand, polyamorous relationships often tend to be more stable than monoamorous ones; the additional partners in the relationship may act as a stabilizing influence such that conflict between partners can be cushioned (sometimes other partners can act as mediators). It’s definitely not clear, and should never be asserted, that polyamorous relationships are inherently less stable than monoamorous ones.

It all depends on the personalities of all involved. The only thing that is obvious is that “one size does not fit all”. Our current social regime, however, tries to enforce everyone into the one garment of monogamous heterosexual marriage, and this makes a lot of people chafe.

Well, I’m more stable in my current family than I have been even in a relationship with just myself and Teine. (Even though our family is currently destabilised by someone having a pretty severe period of depression that does damage to the relationships involved.)

I think that if stability is the desired goal, then having a one-size-doesn’t-fit-all contract as the only way of establishing a legally protected family is a really horrible way of going about it. I’m in favor of people being able to find relationships that work for them and have the families that result recognised.
As to justification with litigation . . . about the only good thing I can say about my parents’ divorce is that the length and vituperation of the dispute meant that custody of my brother was no longer a legal issue; he was an adult in the eyes of the law by that time.

They started when he was fourteen.

Monogamous relationships are no panacea for that sort of thing in the first place. :confused:
Meanwhile, I know a family that had people coming around to see if they were going to take away the children because it was a multiple-adult household that had been targeted by an anonymous heckler who thought that that would be the most effective way to cause pain and trauma. They were protected in part because they’re out of the closet, so when the Child Protection folks came around to talk to the schools and said, “Did you know that those people aren’t monogamous” they got the response of, effectively, “Yeah, aren’t those some damn lucky kids – all those parents involved in their lives and upbringing.”

Not true. I’ve known several poly couples that were 1 woman, 2 guys.

I’ll answer this too; for once my answer is going to be shorter than Teine’s:
He asked me. I said yes.
(We got legally hitched at that specific point in time in part for money reasons. But we did it on the fifth anniversary of the proposal.)