Pool: why is men's and women's separated???

Yeah, get him! Sam Stone has been asking for that correction for 12 years! Yeah! :wink:

Because men are better at everything. It doesn’t matter whether it’s something that takes brawn, brains, or any kind of skill you can imagine. The top-performing males will always blow the top-performing females out of the water. It’s not even a contest.

I dont know if you are serious or joking, but that argument fails because it mixes two standards together. Comparing “top performing men and women” is not the same as comparing men and women, in general. Males are more variable than females, so they tend to produce more of the best and worst and go farther to the extremes; men produce more geniuses & champions, but there are also more men who are mentally disabled, crippled, insane, or just die young (including before birth). Competitions are typically designed to pick the very top performers and put everyone else in the “loser” category; this artificially makes men look better because it highlights that tiny percentage of men who are at one end of the scale. Even if women as a group are as good or better at something than men as a group, that kind of competition will tend to produce male champions.

That’s the standard line they give you when they indoctrinate you to believe in the equality agenda, but where’s the evidence?

Men and women in the same pool leads to canoodling.

I think in this case it is mostly a matter of the number of people playing.

If you look at sports like snooker, darts and chess, where there are few obvious advantages to being male, it’s true that women generally can’t compete against the men.
However, in all these sports the best women can often hold women’s titles for a looong time. This suggests that few women are playing at the professional level.
Most sports go through a period where they are dominated by one or two guys, then if the sport takes off, there’s a “modern era” of competitive play. I think, in terms of women playing, many sports are not in the modern era yet.

Further to this, I think there are still important cultural differences.

There is a pressure for men to be successful and ambitious that I don’t think is quite the same for women. Women are attracted to successful/ambitious men, and men often judge each other in terms of what they own or what they’ve done.
And, conversely, it’s still seen as less weird for a guy to get super-obsessive about something in a bid to be #1.
Attitudes are changing but I think it’s still there.

I learned this in a standard intro psych class, it had, y’know, graphs, charts, stats. It’s true. I don’t see where it is a feminist argument. There’s a developmental, chromosomal hypothesis for this. I am too lazy to look it up. Females as a group don’t have the extremes that males do, and I highly doubt that this is a purely human trait, it’s way too deep for that.

Anecdotally, I also notice that male people have a stronger tendency to be single-minded, narrow-field types who focus on one thing at a time. Wide-field awareness/multi-tasking is a highly developed function in most women, essential in taking care of children for example. You can see how this trait would be detrimental to becoming the best pool player in the world. Culture reinforces but I don’t believe it originates with culture.

Women dominate long-distance open-water swimming, don’t they?

Same for me.

So, why are awards for Best Actress/Actor separated in major award competitions? That drives me nuts. First, it’s a pretty subjective award, secondly, are we honestly saying that there is no way a woman could ever “out-act” a man, so they have to be put in separate categories???

I think they are acknowledging the differences between female and male roles/characters and picking the “best” one of each. Note that directors, cinematographers, and other roles are all mixed together.

I agree with you that there is more variability in men but even at the middle of the pack level men dominate in many sports. I am a mediocre 5k (~21-22 min) runner and in most local races only a handful of women finish ahead of me. I finished 31st in my age group in a recent race but I would have been number 4 among the women in my age group. Any kind of local running races or triathlons I look at the upper/middle of the pack men are usually competitive with the top women. Middle of the pack vs middle of the pack men are ahead of women by quite a bit.

I certainly don’t think men are better at everything and IMO women are probably better at a lot of things that can’t easily be measured or timed. And for the record I love women in and out of sports, women rock :slight_smile:

I realize this comment is 12 years ago, but I recall a quote from a great book I read a few years ago. The book is Running the Table, and I highly recommend it for any pool players.

The author was talking about the men/women difference in pool, and noted that Jeanette Lee, while the best female player in the world, wasn’t even the best pool player in her own house. Her husband is a better player but isn’t good enough to compete professionally.

The other quote I remember was when young Danny was hanging out in the pool halls for endless hours, he had been hustling and beating business men and rich college kids, but then he started getting good enough to take money from fellow hustlers, and felt a little guilty. He asked an older hustler about whether he ever felt guilty like that, and they guy said something like “Yeah, sometimes I feel so guilty that I don’t try to fuck his girlfriend afterwards. Look kid, you’re a good shot, but if you’re going to make it at this, you’ve got to get in touch with your inner motherfucker.”

Or just aren’t applicable to sports. Women are more resistant to disease and parasites, but who wants to watch competitive parasitic infestation? :smiley:

Moved to the Game Room from GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Tiddlywinks. But looking at the most recent global ratings, the top woman player is #28 overall.

So, 12 years later…are you still a Republican lesbian? Inquiring minds want to know!

I rarely agree with you but this was very well put.