Pop culture associations with classical music

A little different: Whenever I hear anything from Wagner’s Ring Cycle, I immediately think of the late Anna Russell.

And when I hear Gilbert & Sullivan’s I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major-General, I start thinking “There’s antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,” etc.

And the very beginning of the last movement of Dvorak’s New World Symphony sounds like the theme from Jaws.

You copied the link from the “Mynah Bird Song.”

Von Suppe’s “Poet and Peasant” was also often used in WB cartoons.

The William Tell Overture has three sections that are used all the time: the Lone Ranger (knows officially as “March of the Swiss Soldiers”), Dawn, and the Storm.

Julius Fucik’s Entry of the Gladiators is now known as “that circus music”.

“O Fortuna”, set to Carl Orff’s music is the go-to mood music for epic battles and cataclysms.

Ennio Morricone did a brilliant soundtrack to complement Haskell Wexler’s beautiful visuals in “Days of Heaven”, but he borrowed one piece of music for the beginning (saint-saens: carnival of the animals; the aquarium)

But you might remember it as the only “borrowed” piece of music for another movie…

Ah, but I see there are YouTube videos claiming they’re not identical… well, close enough for my kids to yell out (like they do with Wagner: “Kill the Wabbit, kill the waaaaabbit…”)

Oh, Disney’s used carnival of the animals; the aquarium before… the beginning of Impressions de France, aka “The French Movie”, at Epcot) Here’s the soundtrack…

For me it’ll always be “The Great Big Ad We’re In” for Carleton Draught. So I laugh when it’s being used in an attempt for us to take something seriously (like the Trade Wars in the Star Wars Prequel trailers?..pffft! Please…).

“This ad better sell some blooooooooody beer!” Do watch it!

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor a.k.a. Rollerball intro music (1975):

Amid all the Beethoven, *A Clockwork Orange* also makes effective - if abridged - use of Rossini's *The Thieving Magpie* for scene featuring a bit of the old ultra-violence.

02. The Thieving Magpie (Abridged) - A Clockwork Orange soundtrack - YouTube - music only
Ditto, Once Upon a Time in America, for a nicely executed baby ID switching scene:

Crap! :mad:

[quote=“Dropo, post:27, topic:823261”]

Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D minor a.k.a. Rollerball intro music (1975):

[/QUOTE]

I associate it with The Phantom of the Opera, where it was first used in the 1962 version. It was used earlier in horror as the intro to the 1931 version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and in The Black Cat (1934) with Lugosi and Karloff.

Bolero.
Association.

Debussy’s “Arabesque No. 1” was the theme for PBS’s Star Hustler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVYH-7QGE-A

Rossini’s The Barber of Seville is now forever linked to “The Barber” episode of Seinfeld.

Amilcare Ponchielli’s “Dance of the Hours” became Allan Sherman’s “Camp Granada.”

I surprised that Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overturehasn’t been mentioned yet, known especially for its use by Quaker Puffed Wheat/Puffed Rice, the “cereal shot from guns.”

Offenbach’s Orpheus in the Underworld overture contains “The Can-Can”:

Starting around the 7:00 mark.

The trumpets’ Dada-da, dada-da! in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” invariably makes me think of Star Wars:

At the 0:55 mark.

“Romance” from Shostakovich’s The Gadfly Suite was the theme for Reilly: Ace of Spies:

[quote=“terentii, post:33, topic:823261”]

Amilcare Ponchielli’s “Dance of the Hours” became Allan Sherman’s “Camp Granada.”

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the Ostrich - Hippo - Elephant-Alligator ballet in Fantasia.
But, yeah, I encountered it first as “Camp Granada” too.

Currently, the sitcom Mom uses Glinka’s Overture from “Ruslan and Lyudmila”

Star Trek battles often closely mimic “Mars” from Holst’s The Planets, without using it literally.