Popeye's Accent

I have a friend with a speech impediment who tells people that he moved a lot when he was young.

I thought it was a result of poor education and a smoking habit.

Doctor Hartman weighs in.

For what it’s worth, apparently Segal based the character on a one-eyed, pipe-smoking, toothless, abnormally strong man named Frank “Rocky” Fiegal. Fiegal was from Segal’s hometown of Chester, Illinois. Haven’t found anything reporting if he had an accent or not, but considering the above, I would imagine he didn’t have a “normal” voice.

I figured it came as a result of talking with a pipe in his mouth. Teeth clenched on the pipe, speaking through one side of his mouth.

He always sounded like he came from Brooklyn to me (Brooklyn native here)

Billy Costello did a really good job of interpreting the “accent” that Segar used in the comic. To me it’s just an extremely broad comic way to show how uncouth and uneducated Popeye was. YMMV.

Just curious, but is there a record kept anywhere for longest zombie thread revival? (not a slam on reviving, I’ve done it a few times too.)

Looks like this one was just shy of 15 years old.

Besides the quality of his voice, he definitely has a distinctive accent and dialect. I thought ninits a perfect reasonable question to wonder if they were based on any real accent or dialect.

Yhh-kkkkkkkkkkk! Blow me, Olive.

Here’s an episode of To Tell The Truth with Jack Mercer. I have to say, these people are idiots. Jack’s normal voice sounds just like Popeye when he mutters.

Someone mentioned New England. FWIW The original voice of Popeye, Billy Costello, a.k.a Red “Pepper” Sam, was from Rhode Island.

I remember the cartoon in that clip. It was one of the King Features TV cartoons from the 60s. I haven’t seen it in over 50 years, but I remember it.

Guys he is a cartoon character…he was born on a piece of sketch paper…no ethnicity there!!but he always sounded pirate-y to me

Kinda different google page with a very young Jack Mercer

He was also Felix the Cat, if you can believe it

This thread has inspired me to go “skiddly-bum-bee-bum, da-bee-bum-da-boh” ad naseum next time I go out for a walk.