Popular songs covered in a significally different style.

They also did Nine Inch Nails’ “Head Like A Hole”.

Speaking of Comfortably Numb, the Scissor Sisters did a pepped up disco-style version of it that was released last year (or so). I like it.

Johnny Cash did a whole album of covers, most memorable (to me) was Rowboat by Beck and Rusty Cage by Soundgarden.

My favorites were Cash’s covers of “Hurt” by nine inch nails (far better than the original), “One” by U2, “In My Life” by the Beatles, and “The Mercy Seat” by Nick Cave. And he did at least two albums of popular covers, *American III * and American IV.

Dolly Parton did a great cover of “Shine”, originally by Collective Soul, that’s in a sort of soulful bluegrass/gospel style and that’s excellent.

Alison Krauss and Union Station did a bluegrass cover of the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider”.

Dynamite Hack did a great folk-ish rendition of “Boyz N The Hood”. I love it; it’s so crazy to hear “Cruisin’ down the street in my 6-4 / Jackin’ the bitches, slappin’ the hos” sung like it was a folk song.

Two months ago, I heard a band perform the 1960’s Spider-Man cartoon theme song as swing music. Absolutely incredible.

I think that was by crooner Michael Buble, although I’ve personally performed that song in that swing-lounge style as well.

I heard a recent Alison Krauss cover of “Big Log” by Robert Plant.

I thought that song always sucked until I heard her do it. Then I thought it was one of the best love songs I’ve ever heard.

It reminded me of an interview I saw with Kris Kristoffersen (who wrote “Bobby McGee”). He said he heard Janis Joplin’s cover of it and said, “oh, that’s how that songs is supposed to sound.”

I doubt Robert Plant would ever say that, but if he had any sense he would.

I didn’t realize this was such a common phenomenon. I have to say I’m really interested in orchestral versions, but I’m intrigued by the Rock Goes Country or Swing thing.

This was actually performed by a band called Hepcat Revival, but perhaps the idea originated with Michael Buble.

Buble’s version played over the *Spider-Man 2 * movie’s closing credits, but was not on the soundtrack album. Here’s a cite: Just Racing | Horse, Greyhound and Harness Racing News, Tips and Bets

Jackie DeShannon’s little-known country tune “Bette Davis Eyes” became a huge synth-pop hit for Kim Carnes.

There’s a punk version of Til Tuesday’s “Voices Carry” that came out not long after the original - can’t remember who did it, though.

Cake’s post-punk/modern rock version of Gloria Gaynor’s disco anthem “I Will Survive” deserves mention.

Oh yeah … it was by Gang Green.

Lots of ska bands do quirky covers:
Save Ferris did “Come On Eileen” by Dexy’s Midnight Runners.
Reel Big Fish did Duran Duran’s “Hungry Like the Wolf” and A-Ha’s “Take On Me,” as well as “There Is Nothing Like a Dame” from the musical South Pacific.
Less Than Jake did David Cassidy’s “I Think I Love You” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309 (Jenny)” and several heavy metal and TV show theme song covers, as well as the aforementioned Grease soundtrack.

[QUOTE=Trunk]
I heard a recent Alison Krauss cover of “Big Log” by Robert Plant.

I thought that song always sucked until I heard her do it. Then I thought it was one of the best love songs I’ve ever heard.

[QUOTE]

I must have missed that. Where did you hear it?

Oh Jesus Christ, that’s f*ckin funny!!! I MUST get Apertif for Destruction!
[CHEESY 50s MALE ADVERT VOICE]Oh, me so horny.[/C5MAV]

BWAHAHAHAHA. And the latin-flavored Man In The Box.

Good stuff, that. I’m dyin’ over here!

He is RAD. I think you’re in for a real treat!

I found it here. Quite nice. Thanks!

What can I say? I love me some cheese! Maybe I’ll save his box set for my Christmas list.