Positive effects of smoking cigarettes

Smokers often can do really cool things with a zippo.

Cecil Adams on Does smoking have any health benefits?

Come on, guys. The OP asked for benefits of smoking. We don’t need yet another litany of the hazards.

The fact is, smoking offers clear benefits. If it didn’t, people wouldn’t smoke. I’m not a smoker, so I don’t know what it feels like. But smokers who I’ve talked to say it helps focus the mind and calm them down.

It used to be a cliche that engineers and writers would judge their work by how many cigarette butts are in the ashtray.

I have noticed that the rise in ADD cases seems to correlate with reduction in smoking. The treatment for ADD is to take stimulants. Smoking is a stimulant. Might it be that smoking is a way to self-medicate ADD symptoms? Loss of concentrationn, inability to focus, etc.

Smoking is a nearly univeral vice. American Indians smoked. Tribes in Africa smoke. Aborigines smoke. Clearly, they gain some benefit from it.

Well, smoking shortens life expectancy and therefore keeps Social Security afloat longer…

I think the effects are too slow to impact population growth.

Brian

My allergies are often worse when I’m not smoking and I also suffer from more colds. I’m sure this is due to something like my sinuses now being more sensitive rather than completely clogged up from the smoke, but it is a short term positive effect anyway.

Huh. That I did not know. I think I’ll stick with the Asacol, though, if it’s all the same to everyone else. :slight_smile:

Why should we think that the prevalence of smoking indicates any benefit beyond that of staving off withdrawal symptoms?

Anyways, the benefit of smoking is obvious. It makes a person coooool. :cool:

BBC story on Nicotine and Alzheimer’s study:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2994304.stm

Why do they start?

Well, why do people start? I don’t know about other times and places, but right now, I think it’s plenty obvious that people don’t start smoking because there are benefits to be had from smoking itself, or even because they think that there are benefits to be had from smoking, but rather that there are social benefits that accrue due to being a smoker in some circles. Do you think there’s any evidence that it’s otherwise?

<former smoker>

Using this sort of logic, rape also offers clear benefits. If it didn’t, people wouldn’t rape. Same with dog-kicking, polluting the environment… Injecting heroin also offers the clear benefits of quelling withdrawal symptoms AND fattening the wallets of dealers and organized crime syndicates, etc. The point is that in no case do the so-called benefits begin to have any real meaning or importance in light of the overwhelming and uniformly negative results stacked up against them.

One of these results often is dying long before one otherwise would, prompting some not particularly scientific minds to praise the apparent benefit of exempting cigarette smokers from living long enough to be burdened with geriatric illnesses such as Alzheimer’s. Essentially, “At least if I’m dead, I can’t be sick.” Using this line of reasoning, we ought to humanely spare our offspring the challenges of facing any illnesses at all in life by simply euthanizing them–the younger the better, of course. Should you be unfortunate enough to have parents not blessed with such insight or enough love or courage to carry it out, you can always do the right thing immediately–you owe it to yourself–using any of a variety of methods much faster and cheaper than decades of deliberate, methodical poisoning whilst giving off a socially repellent foul stench, followed by years of debilitating conditions like emphysema (imagine hungering for air constantly, never feeling you can catch your breath, a grey-skinned invalid hacking up brownish gobs of goo from your one remaining lung). But hey, it beats not remembering your name.

The relaxation that occurs simultaneously with smoking can be attributed to its accompanying deep-breathing exercise. One of the best ways to relax the body and mind has been known for thousands of years to be taking in a deep breath, holding it for a few seconds, then releasing it slowly, and repeating. These just happen to be movements nearly identical to those associated with cigarette smoking, only not as cool.

For addicted smokers (avg. age started: 16) the real relaxation is, as the OP noted, the relief of withdrawal symptoms by satisfying cravings for the addictive chemical nicotine. Props go to the OP for being so optimistic as to seek the silver lining in the act of accepting virtually certain illness and early death as tolerable consequences of a pubescent decision made while trying not to look uncool to certain teenagers.

I walk & bike frequently & pick up empty Marlboro packs discarded by smokers.The UPCs are redeemable for stuff & UPS just delivered 2 positive benefits of smoking to me yesterday-a Viper pool cue & a Coleman sleeping bag. My BIL’s birthday gifts courtesy of the herd o’ nicotine suckers.

How do you know he smokes?

Nicotine as a performance enhancer? -Research results are spotty

Nicotine can be used to treat children with Tourette Syndrome and patients with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s Disease
Possible Benefit of Nicotine for Parkinson Patients with Impaired Attention Span
nicotine stimulates growth of new blood vessels, helps with chronic pain
nicotine patch is effective in reducing the symptoms of ulcerative colitis

Bravo! Even though these things are not really positive benefits of smoking the cigarettes, bravo and well done all the same. (Obviously the difference between you and a mad cat is that you are not mad.)

According to his entry in People Almanac, he’s a heavy smoker who asks not to be photographed smoking so he won’t set a negative example for his fans. I’ve also heard that from someone who met him. He got Parkinson’s disease at a very early age for the disease.

The studies that measure Parkinson’s and Alzeimer’s risks and concluded that nicotine seems to reduce risk were not “whole population”. Instead, they looked at the folks who managed to survive to those ages and compared risk.

Of course, that still doesn’t mean that other tobacco-related risks wouldn’t be greater on a “whole life” basis than the reduction in dementia diseases.

How about a little real science to fight some dimwitted anecdotalism?

I realize that cultists will dismiss it, but the science is solid. That being said, there are probably far safer ways to get nicotine than using cigarettes.

Smoking cigarettes gives me a lift!

It helps my golf game.

It keeps my nerves healthy.

Even Lou Gehrig agrees. "Even Lou Gehrig agrees. "

And smoking cigarettes will help me bag that tiger I always wanted!

Typical response of a cultist. I cite real science. The cultist throws up a bunch of absurd historical curiousities to somehow discredit the real science by association.

I thought SD was to dispel ignorance, not maintain it.

Hey bud, gotta’ match?