Post great last lines of stories you love.

Juno was a man!” – Vengeance Is Mine, Mickey Spillane.

How about plays?

MARGARET: Oh, you weak, beautiful people who give up with such grace. What you need is someone to take hold of you – gently, with love, and hand your life back to you, like something gold you let go of – I do love you, Brick, I do.

BRICK: Wouldn’t it be funny if that were true?

I don’t remember much about the story except that it was a sci-fi story in (I believe) an old Analog magazine. The story claimed to be an attempt at translating some alien chronicles concerning an alien ship’s encounter with humans. The intro to the story pointed out that many of the alien terms didn’t appear to have an exact translation, and that in those cases approximate translations for those words were put in parentheses. For instance, the term (he) where it was not certain of the gender or even numerical quantity of the entity in question.

The writer was referred to as (I) and his/her/their compatriot(s) was referred to as (Smith). The alien(s) started out as cold, logical entit(ies), but changed gradually (with the number of words he/she/they used in parentheses slowly increasing) as they interacted with the humans. The final paragraph of the story was:

(I) (feel) (good), (Smith). (I) (like) (you).

“I have no mouth and I must scream.”
–Harlan Ellison

“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, did you?”
–Stephen King, in The Body

“ast illi soluuntur frigore membra uitaque cum gemitu fugit indignata sub umbras.”

“Boy, I’m glad all that supernatural stuff is over,” said the bat.

-Island of the Sequined Love Nun, by Christopher Moore

“They unlocked the door, slowly, and let Margot out.”

The Lottery by Ray Bradbury.

The Outsider, H.P. Lovecraft.

The Transition of Juan Romero, H.P. Lovecraft.

The Apocalypse Troll, David Weber.

Ashes of Victory, David Weber.

Still waiting to hear about the typo in the OP.

I meant, “All Summer in a Day”. I loved the Lottery too, though. I like short stories. Short attention span, I guess.

“‘Darling,’ it said.”
Stephen King, Pet Sematary

“Ladyfingers; they taste just like ladyfingers”
Dr. Pine in Survivor Type, Stephen King

“The leader and I by that hidden way
entered to return to the bright world;
and without care for having any rest
we climbed up, he first and I second,
so far that I saw some of the beautiful things
that heaven bears, through a round opening;
and thence we came forth to see again the stars.”

• Dante’s Inferno

“From that most holy wave I now returned
to Beatrice; remade, as new trees are
renewed when they bring forth new boughs, I was
pure and prepared to climb unto the stars.”

• Dante’s Purgatorio

“But already my desire and my will
were being turned like a wheel, all at one speed,
by the Love which moves the sun and the other stars.”

• Dante’s Paradiso

It was as if the shame of it should outlive him.

• Kafka, The Trial

“Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out.”

• “The Nine Billion Names of God”

Yes, he had been wrong about Shiloh. Shiloh isn’t haunted - men are haunted. Shiloh doesn’t care.

• Thomas Harris, Red Dragon

If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boy and his dog and his friends. And a summer that never ends.

And if you want to imagine the future, imagine a boot… no, imagine a sneaker, laces trailing, kicking a pebble; imagine a stick, to poke at interesting things, and throw for a dog that may or may not decide to retrieve it; imagine a tuneless whistle, pounding some luckless popular tune into insensibility; imagine a figure, half angel, half devil, all human…

Slouching hopefully towards Tadfield…

…forever.

• Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Here’s an old thread on this subject. Some good stuff there, some already mentioned here.

Heh. I was just about to say, The Lottery ends with this:

Which is also my response to the thread. Because I, too, enjoyed The Lottery.

I have come to . . .
Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delaney.

’ . . . the assembled birthday party guests shouted, ‘surprise’"

Fredric Brown, “Nightmare in Yellow”

“B’dikkat, leaving everyone else, jogged with his bottle across the plain to give the mountain-man Alverez an especially large gift of delight” – “A Planet Named Shayol,” Cordwainer Smith.

“Parazianski” – “Scanners Live in Vain,” Cordwainer Smith.

“Click!” – “The Twonky” by Henry Kuttner

“My eyes were moist, but I think it was just the wind” – “Playmates” by Chuck Rothman