Post Xmas Blizzard 2010

Attention NY Store Owners: If you shovel your sidewalk but leave the snow piled up at the corner forcing me to either crawl over snow banks or walk in the street I will no longer patronize your establishment.:mad:

Other than that I have been pleased as punch with the winter weather. I love the cold and the snow. I just don’t like it piled up like a barrier between myself and the sidewalk.

That’s the other part that is a minor annoyance, the tree was a pine so I can’t turn it into firewood at least. I took down an oak about 7 years ago and I am still burning that. Great for the wood stove. ( :smack: )
The only good thing about the pine is that it is easy to cut with a pole saw. But it is basically just debris.

He’s going to dialysis today, though the ambulette got stuck for a bit two blocks away. He also went on Sunday before the snow, so he’ll be fine. Another day or two would have been a problem.

When the news shows were complaining Monday morning, I was annoyed with them. I understood the issues the Department of Sanitation was facing, and could understand why a plow had not made it down the tertiary roads on Monday morning.

Now it is Wednesday and my local streets still haven’t been plowed, except by people trying to drive through them. That is a problem with the storm response. I don’t know what happened, but we’ve been through major snowfalls with much quicker responses.

As for Cheshire Human, I probably have more people living on my block of houses (not apartments) than you do in your town/city. We don’t equip for two feet of snow because it is rare. We don’t have individual plows to help us out. Our narrow street is lined with cars on both sides, which makes getting equipment that can deal with this much snow harder to navigate. Sure, you get more snow regularly, but you don’t have the same logistics to deal with as those in heavily populated cities have to deal with.

Only two more decades until retirement, where my goal is to find a place on this planet that doesn’t even have a word for snow.

Great. Just in time for me to drive up there on Friday night (and return Sunday), from Chicago, to see my mom and sister for a delayed Christmas. :frowning:

In North Carolina, snow does like it’s supposed to. It falls and looks all nice and pretty for a day or two, then it goes away.

As my Father In Law (They moved here from Syracuse, NY) says: You don’t have to shovel heat.

**I have updates and pictures: **

1. Finally got a tree service here for an estimate.
  2. Called Insurance company and that was painless, no need for further est. just get it done and send photos
  3. I already had the photos and will link them in.
  4. Call back tree service and he’ll bring a crane in tomorrow or Friday, I’ll try for more pictures.
    Few other bits of good news:**
  5. The solar panels finally cleared today, it never took more than the next morning before. With the panels clearing the rectifier that looked dead came back to life. Hooray!
  6. CO alarm went off again but this time as I was going to sleep and not yet asleep and I determined it was the 9 volt battery that was the problem. As a plug-in CO monitor I did not recall it had a battery, but makes sense in case of power loss.
  7. Dug out to my mail box and the mailbox survived though the post is pretty beat up. I should be able to make a winter repair to it tomorrow though that will get me through the winter.

So today was much better then prior days.

Also the mailbox I made:

Why couldn’t it snow that much in the outskirts of Chicago? I’d like a snow day off of work >:O

Hey your homemade mailbox kicks ass. I wish my regular mailbox looked that cute.

There is a hole in my roof, I may need to get up on it tomorrow and try to temp patch it as there is no way to get a roofer until next week. But of course I need to pick up a stupid snow blower tomorrow and prep the house for a small party. Of course we are due rain by Saturday so I really need to get up on the roof and make a temp patch. I think this is hell week. Currently there is a thick sheet of ice over the hole so I rigged a bowl under the hole. Fun stuff. I will either fall off the roof or while in the attic put my foot through the ceiling trying to retrieve the bowl. But at least the tree is gone. They came today, my yard is a little chewed up.

But at least the gophers are gone, right?:smiley:

Well, this snowstorm got worse. Our block was finally plowed overnight 12/29 - 12/30, and this is what I woke up to see: hit and run damage on my car. Son of a bitch.

How’s it in Indiana right now? A friend of mine is back home there visiting his family and mentioned snow in an e-mail today.

Wow they really worked hard to get the entire car didn’t they?

Um… I had to wear long sleeves while playing golf on Christmas Eve.

Okay, I got nothing. But I’ve lived in Chicago my whole life, so don’t begrudge me a few days in Florida for the holidays. :smiley:

(Oh, and our flight home was delayed… by 40 whole minutes.)

We flew from Baltimore to Illinois just as the first few flakes started falling on Christmas day. After hearing the apocalyptic forecast, I was more than a little afraid that the dogsitters wouldn’t be able to get to our house (which is out in the country), and that we wouldn’t be able to drive home when we returned on the 29th.

When we got home, we found that there was a small patch of snow, about 1/8th inch thick, by our side door.

Damn, that was close.

Wow, I’m getting horrid flashbacks here from when I lived in the frozen north. Like the truck that didn’t have four wheel drive, so whenever it snowed I had to walk half a mile to the house from the spot that was as close as that truck could get. Good times.

People bash southern California but damn, we don’t have to deal with snow!

Not hard enough…they missed the passenger side.

The snow pretty much stopped just to the east of us. The weatherpeople were calling for 3-5", but we didn’t get a damn flake. I just wish we didn’t have to deal with nasty, cold wind.

My daughter was stranded at a bus depot in Queens. She usually gets in from work a little after midnight when I’m already asleep. Woke up at 3am to use the bathroom and peaked into her room only to find it empty. Talk about panic!

She had called earlier (about 1 or so) and spoke with her brother. She told him not to bother me or her father unless she wasn’t home by 5am since she was someplace warm.

Good thing we all started digging the car out at 5 because it took the 3 of us more than two hours, during which time my daughter called to tell us that the MTA had kicked everyone out of the depot building (the general public is not allowed inside the building) and onto (and into- it was still snowing here at 7) the snow.

It became a neighborhood project to get our Caliber off of our tertiary street and onto Hempstead Turnpike. My son rode shotgun with the snow shovel. It took them 5 hours to get to her as they dug and pushed themselves and anyone blocking them out of the way. It’s usually a 15 minute bus ride from the depot to home.

That MTA policy sounds criminal to me. That had to be a scary ride.

So I did have a small hole in the roofbut the adjuster was already out for the insurance company and the news overall seems good enough. I rigged and old shower curtain up between the rafters to channel any water out through the soffet.

The gutter is trashed but that is fairly minor. There appears to be some minor damage to the soffets.

I have pics of the tree in the air as it was removed it two large pieces.

Last night during a small New Year’s Eve party the kitchen sink drain went. After an hour spent trying for a makeshift repair came to conclusion to give it up and do the dished in the morning after I got the parts for Lowes and fixed the drain.

On top of everything else, Sears called today and the snow blower is being delay until the 4th now.

This has been a pretty crappy holiday overall.