Posthumous hits

Meh. I can’t deny the emotion and spirit behind recording the song. But, musically, I was less than impressed. To me, it sounded like a mediocre Wings tune.

Anything by J.S. Bach.

I think classical composers don’t fit simply because they don’t have recordings of their work; it’s their music that remains popular, not their recordings.

Half the band For Squirrels died in a car accident before their album Example came out, and they had a minor (and ironic) hit with “Mighty KC”, pretty much forgotten today except by people my age.

Nonsense. We’re talking about “releases,” and Bach’s music was all released in his lifetime, because he performed it himself. But it was a long time before any of it became a “hit.”

Same goes for a several others, notably Schubert.

But they did not perform when the songs became recording hits. They are cover versions by other artists. Listing cover versions is not what was asked in the OP, and is ultimately a trivial exercise. You might as well list anyone who had a hit with a Gershwin song in the 50s as credited to George Gershwin.

Bach never recorded a hit single. If you argue so, give a cite.

Not actually his recording, but he does appear in the video.

I remember them. I saw them at a music festival in Birmingham, AL (although it might have been after they changed their name to Subrosa.) “Mighty KC” was a good song.

Country singer Jim Reeves topped the UK charts for five weeks in 1966 with the song “Distant Drums,” two years after his death.

In 1988 or 1989, Hank Williams Jr. did what Natalie Cole did: he mixed his own vocals with those of his father, Hank. Sr., and had a big country hit with “There’s a Tear in My Beer.”

There was also a Forrest Gump-esque video that made it appear Hank was performing the song alongside his long-deceased Dad.

An early example is “Pledging My Love” by the late great Johnny Ace.

No it wasn’t, most notably his Mass in B Minor, which he obviously couldn’t have published. It’s since become an extremely popular piece, and was extremely influential on Beethoven, among others.

It fits the spirit of this thread perfectly.

In that same spirit, Mozart’s Requiem.

Haven’t thought about that one in over a decade but I can still sing the chorus. I might have to download it.