Pot Roast

That’s what I do. It results in more flavor than pan browning.

Hockey Monkey, that sounds good. I will have to try it.

I learned from my English ex to put turnips and parsnips in with the potatoes and onions. He thinks ingredients like carrots and celery are all wrong. I happen to like how the meat tastes when it is roasted with celery or celeriac, though I don’t like the roasted vegetable itself. I use fennel for a pork roast.

So, oil meat, brown it, place on rack in roaster, add vegetables around it, put pepper and assorted herbs/spices on top and then lay sliced onions over that. Add a 1/2 cup red wine slowly and then cover and roast. About 1/2 hour before it is finished, add mushrooms and stir the veggies around a bit.

Now I’m hungry.

Yay! Isn’t it simple and great? I usually reserve my briskets for barbecuing and occasionally corning, but one day I bought a brisket flat that was on sale and I felt like doing a Jewish style brisket. I came across that recipe after finding a few of the usual Lipton onion soup ones, as well as the grape jelly ones (which I’ve had in the past), but I was in the mood for something different. I found that on Saveur’s website (one of my favorite recipe sites) and was immediately convinced to try it. And glad I did. Now brisket will have three uses in my house.

Oh, yes! Do “try” that “recipe”! ;););):cool:

Nitpick: Consomme.

(And you can outnitpick me if you know how to place an accent mark over a character on this board.)

Just copy and paste it from the linked text: Consommé.

I’ll blame it on auto-correct… not on the computer, but in my brain. When I think of beef all my brain thinks of is consume it.