Potential US S.Ct. vacancies

I’m not saying she’s a “leftist” - I’m saying she’s not a centrist.

And for the record, Ginsburg was a co-founder of the Women’s Rights Project at the ACLU, and during her tenure there the ACLU Reproductive Freedom Project was established as a separate entity to handle these cases. So to say she wasn’t involved with that issue is laughable - indeed, abortion rights advocates laud her as a hero for it, which would be misplaced if she didn’t in fact do this work.

Cite from the ACLU, spelling out much of their organizational history in this area.

Okie doke. Nevertheless, the argument you’ve made does not conflict with Dinsdale’s argument.

You’re wrong. Read your own cite. The project she founded and worked on didn’t work on reproductive rights issues, which is part of the reason why, along with internal politics, a separate project was subsequently formed. She’s lauded as a hero of abortion rights for her decisions on the court, and her underlying work on sex discrimination.

I’m going to need a cite for this. My understanding was that he was indeed seen as a moderate - but as a moderate liberal and not a conservative. Contemporary press reports seem to verify this:

Ginsburg is certainly a strong proponent of women’s rights, Mr. Moto. It’s the main thing I was thinking about when I said she was a centrist outside of “a handful of issues.” (Query what it says about our nation that gender equality is considered a “leftist” position, but whatever.) She’s absolutely a centrist (if that) on economic and business issues, which make up a large part of the Court’s docket.

Oh, and White wasn’t much of a swing voter in the last 10-15 years of his tenure, rather being solidly in the conservative bloc that existed at the time.

–Cliffy