Practice Babies

I would have to agree with this!

Yes, I hope I wasn’t unclear in my post. The story itself is fiction, but I think does a fairly decent job of examing issues of attachment. ANything else I might say about it is probably better suited to Cafe Society.

No, the hilarious part is how many people think the OP is about this, when it’s really about this.

You don’t say.

:rolleyes:

I read that article a couple of weeks ago. It was interesting. I think the home economics movement was fascinating.

We had a couple of the dolls that mimic babies at my high school. My Home Ec teacher said she’d had many young students who thought that getting pregnant by sixteen would be terrific because it would be a fun toy who’d love you!! and all that garbage.

The dolls were called Baby Think-it-Over and the teacher could change the settings from easy baby (still wakes every four hours) to Horrible Hell Child. And the things record abuse (shaking, shouting at them) as well as time taken before its ‘needs’ are addressed.

Did everyone just assume the link was about egg/plastic babies/flour babies without actually reading it?

Not that I can tell.

No I caught that it was about real babies, and actually read the linked page which was interesting. But when the topic drifted to the fake babies I went with it, just for the cheap laugh.

Well, I suppose I exaggerated a bit. Though I didn’t read your post as thinking it was about fake babies. And for what it’s worth, it elicited a giggle from me as well!

BTW, in the classes that used practice babies, did they bring in babies of different ages (a three-month-old, a nine-month-old, etc.), since they change so much so quickly?

Whoops, sorry.

Last year, as I was watching a field trip by our local high school, I noticed quite a few young mothers with babies snoozing in hand-held carriers. None of the students made any special fuss about them. I thought, “School sure has changed. Not only are high schoolers frequently pregnant, but they bring their babies to class and it seems all quite ordinary.”

Then I noticed that the “babies” were some kind of robot or doll, and the students were “caring” for them as a learning exercise in a class project. That sounds like a practice baby to me.

Sorry for the snark.
My bad.