Presedential Loophole

Nah. Chelsea vs. the Twins. (Ignore the fact that none are old enough to run.) And I say that Slick Willy would wipe the floor with Dubya.

This is what we call pulling a Ford, correct?

That’s exactly how I read it. At the time of the writing of the 12th Amendment, it seems clear to me that the eligibility of the Vice-President refers to the rules previously laid out in the Constitution, specifically Article II, Section 1, Clause 5:

Obviously, at that time there were no term limits, and lawmakers not being prophets, they couldn’t have forseen the latter-imposed term restrictions. The key phrase is “constitutionally inelegible to the office of the President.” I still think, that even with the 22nd Amendment, this does not make Bill Clinton constitutionally ineligible for the office. I still think his elegibility to the office is governed by Article II, Section 1, Clause 5. He simply cannot be elected to the office.

It depends how you read it, but obviously there’s a lot of room for interpretation here, as to me it seems clear that Bill Clinton or George Bush are elegible for VP slots based on the Constitution.