Preserving Soda Fizz

Well that guy was a asshole.

but anyway, this question interests me. Wouldn’t the plastic bottles tendency to reform push outward against atmospheric pressure along with the partial pressure of the co2 gas? Thus when plastic reforms the co2 gas partial pressure is still actually lower then atmospheric. I’d be willing to bet by the time it takes that to happen you’d open the sucker up and drink it again. Thus, more fizz.

also, where the fuck does he get off saying there would be LESS fizz? a squeezed then reformed bottle has exactly the same area as an unsqueezed bottle. Both equilibrate the CO2 to atmopsheric pressure. The only reason I can think of is that atmopsheric pressure increases more quickly due to less space in a squeezed bottle and therefore there is a greater rate of escape through the cap early on in the timeline of this CO2 equilibration. Then this becomes a calculus question as to wether escape over time in squeezed bottle is greater then lower escape over time + equilibration to atmospheric in an unsqueezed bottle. We have at least circumstantial evidence that the an unsqueezed bottle retains more CO2.

You sir, are a double moron. You’re thinking in terms of IDEAL gases. In real life gas has VOLUME. Increasing TOTAL air pressure above WILL aid in keeping CO2 in. Simply because such a high pressure of gas above will knock the CO2 gases back down. toward the soda. Thus there would be less area of equilibration for the CO2 gas. Now eventually the CO2 gas will equlibrate to around atmospheric, but it’ll take ALOT longer. This however brings up the question if the regular air dissolves into soda. Since I don’t know the properties of Soda, I will not comment.

This is of course all theory. Do your double blind test, and shut up already.

Oh yea, Einstein was a humble man. You are insulting his namesake.

I was thinking the exact same thing, Harmonix.

After reading all this discussion, I did some Googling on the subject. A chemistry professor at Montana State University did a study which was published in the Journal of Chemical Engineering

As much as it pains me to admit it, ein stein was at least partially right. But that doesn’t excuse the attitude.

Really now. I would’ve thought that, after a troll rips the soda bottle in two, preserving carbonation would be tha last thing on its mind. :smiley:

I mostly agree that the pump won’t help. We had one and it didn’t seem to help any. It won’t increase the partial pressure of CO2 by much, just the partial pressure of air. I seem to recall, however, that increasing the pressure on a liquid increases its ability to keep gas in solution, so that may have a (probably small) effect.

What we found kept the soda fizzy was storing the bottle on a shelf, rather than on a door. All that agitation every time you open the door brings the CO2 out of solution faster.

Harmonix, the use of insults by one poster does not relieve you of the duty to refrain from them yourself.

Since Ein Stein seems intent on not coming back, I’ll close this thread to remove the temptation.

bibliophage
moderator GQ