Prime Time Actor Switcheroos

M. You mean M.

Q is the Quartermaster who doles out the gizmos and gadgets. Most initially and most frequently played by Desmond Llewellyn and now played by John Cleese. There was one film where they were both in it and Cleese was Llewellyn’s assistant, what was he called in that film?
And, I agree with Ethilrist in that the name of these characters is the title of the job, not the name of theperson who does the job.
Although, sticking with the Bond theme, didn’t Donald Pleasance and Telly Savalas both play the same character, Blofeld, when he was actually seen on screen and another guy played him in the one Bond film where he was never seen?

That’s because NSNA was an “unauthorized” James Bond film. Ian Fleming licenced the JB character solely to MGM. NSNA was made by Sony, who claimed to have a license granted to them by one of Fleming’s associates.

For more information about this copyright issue, consult your local library. Or just click here, I don’t care.

Unauthorized is too strong a term by far – Sony did have a legal right to do a remake of Thunderball as part of a legal settlement.

Getting back to the OP, I enjoyed the way Roseanne handled the switch – in the episode where Sarah Chalke repaced Lecy Goranson as Becky, one scene shows the family watching Betwitched and commenting on the Dick York/Sargent changeover. At one point the new Becky says something along the lines of “Did they think we wouldn’t notice?”

As to shows reusing actors, Star Trek is the king of this particular practice. Off the top of my head I can think of at least three characters played by Majel Barrett, James Cromwell, Tim Russ, Mark Lenard, J.G. Hertzler, and Diana Muldar, and it looks like Jeffrey Coombs has played five, three of them recurring roles. Several other actors have shown up at least twice, such as Rene Auberjonois, Marc Alaimo, Brock Peters, Armin Shimmerman, Ethan Phillips, Robert Duncan MacNeil, and plenty of others. Just a few weeks ago on Enterprise the andorian second in command sounded an awful lot like Worf’s old girlfriend.

–Cliffy

“Law and Order” frequently recasts actors in one episode to play completely different characters in another episode. It’s fun seeing an actor portraying a black man who’s been passing as white one night, only to see him in another episode playing a New Jersey police detective…

Barry

Actually, I would put Jack Webb’s Dragnet (1960s version) ahead of this. He had a pool of actors that he reused as different characters. That might also be true of the 1950s incarnation, but I have seen only a few of those.

Another sort of geek checking in. In Red Dwarf, Lister’s long lost love Kochanski is played by Chloe Annette starting, I think, in season 7. Looks and acts nothing like the actress who played Kochanski in various flashbacks and time travel episodes.

This may require a ruling from the judges, but a few different actresses have played Ginger Grant of Gilligan’s Island. Tina Louise played her throughout the series, but didn’t return for any of the later TV movies.

Also, if we’re including guest stars, we can’t forget Batman, most noticeably wildly dissimilar Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt as Catwoman, but also Frank Gorshin and John Astin as Riddler.

Law and Order fans refer to the recast actors as ‘Repeat Offenders’. There’s a fairly comprehensive list to be found here: Law and Order Repeat Offenders

On the bond subject, I’ve found this website, which might be good for some of the recurring characters:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~prospero/bond/recur.html

It confirms that, as curly chick says, Donald Pleasance and Telly Salavas did both play Blofeld, in ‘You Only Live Twice’ and ‘On her majesty’s secret service’ respectively (according to www.imdb.com), as well as charles gray (Diamonds are forever), and the voice of Eric Pohlmann in ‘From Russia with love’. Of those, I think we actually see Blofeld in all but ‘From Russia with love’, from my memory of seing the films, but I think we see blofeld from being a desk in that one.

I agree that Q and M are job titles. John Cleese played ‘R’ in ‘the world is not enough’, and presumedly R took over from Q, as it was indicated that R would be a replaced for Q.

Also, on red dwarf, as well as kochanski, Kryten was played by someone else when he appear in series 2 episode 1 (kryten). He was played by David Ross apparently:
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/flibble/ross/ross.html#kryten
who apparently also played ‘talkie toaster’ in white whole.

Then there is the Holly’s (red dwarf’s computer) ‘sex change’, changing from Norman Lovett head to Hattie Hayridge. I think that is explained (in the opening credits of the series when the change happens, I think), and Hattie Hayridge had appeared previously as Hilly, a female version of Holly, when holly finds a way into a parallel universe. I think Norman does appear later on as holly, in series 7 or 8.

Well, sort of, depending on how you define the question. The ongoing Nero Wolfe series on A&E (with Timothy Hutton as Archie and Maury Chaykin as Nero) consciously decided to create an ensemble of supporting actors who would rotate repertory-style through various characters in succeeding episodes. It’s occasionally distracting, but once you get used to it I think it’s a neat touch. That’s not exactly what “Trek” and the other examples mentioned are doing, though.

…not to mention the male and female versions of Holly.

Titus did this with Titus’s mom in the 2nd season.

Ooh, right back at ya with the first Kryten (one episode) and Robert LLewelyn.

On Dallas Donna Reed played Miss Ellie during the season which was supposed to have been a dream, while Barbara Bel Geddes played the part before and after that. Two actors played Gary, the oldest son. Digger Barnes, the father of the Victoria Principal and Ken Kercheval characters, was played at various times by Keenan Wynn and David Wynn. The show had so much turnover that Ken Kercheval, Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman are said to have been the only actors who appeared in every season–and Duffy’s appearance in the “dream season” was limited to a brief appearance in the shower in the last episode.

The oldest son on Eight is Enough was played by two different actors. IIRC, the first one was Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the first three Star Wars films.

Veteran film star Sylvia Sydney played Mother Carlson, the owner of the radio station, in the first episode of WKRP in Cincinnatti. In a later season there was an episode with a flashback to the scene in the first episode in which Tim Reid–Venus Flytrap–was hired at the station. The scene was reshot with the actress who played Mother Carlson throughout the series.

There were two pilots for the series which became Leave it to Beaver. In the first, called It’s a Small World, the character of Wally was played by an actor who was closer in age to Jerry Mathers. Richard Deacon appeared in the episode, but not as Lumy Rutherford’s father; rather, he played a business-man who likely would not have been a recurrent character. Casey Adams, a character actor who played wise-cracking, smart-ass, vaguely sleazy parts in numerous films in the 50s was Ward; he came across as Hugh Beaumont’s evil twin.

Eddie Haskell’s father was played by two different actors. The part of Lumpy Rutherford’s mother, never a prominent role, was played by, I believe, three different actresses, one of them being Madgell Barrett, who had parts in Star Trek and in Star Trek: The Next Generation. (In the latter show she was Counsellor Troi’s mother and the voice of the shipboard comupter).

The way that Blofeld’s part kept getting recast always reminded me of the way no actor played Professor Moriarity twice opposite Basil Rathbone in the Sherlock Holmes b-movies. In the first production, which, I believe, was released by Twentieth Century Fox, he was played by George Zucco. In Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Code, a universal release, he was played by Lionel Atwill, who did not seem to put up much of an effort. In The Woman in Green, another Universal picture, he was portrayed by Henry Daniell.

Daniell appeared in several other roles in the course of the twelve Universal films. In the Voice of Terror he was the head of British Intelligence. In Sherlock Holmes in Washington he and Zucco were Nazi Spies. So was Ian Wolfe, who likewise played a slew of parts in the films.

The actor who played James Garner’s father in the pilot for The Rockford Files looked, and acted, very differently from Noah Beery Jr., who had the role throughout the series.

Jeff Foxworthy did a cute commercial for the second season of his sitcom. In it he was talking to his “son”, who asked him where Mom was. Foxworthy told him she was being “recast”, and the kid got a sort of sick, disturbed look on his face.

Mention might also be made of The Life of Riley. Jackie Gleason played Chester A. Riley for one season. It is said that William Bendix had passed on the job because he thought this television thing was never going to catch on. The show was then off the air for an interval of 2 or 3 years, then brought back with Bendix, who had already played the part on the radio for years.

As a previous poster observed, the replacement of actors was very common on the radio; something on the order of a half dozen or more actors played The Shadow besides Orson Welles.

In something of the same vein, the 1950s British TV show The Invisible Man appeared to have two different actors provide the voice of the lead character. Neither actor was ever listed in the credits for the show.

John Hart, who played Jack Armstrong, The All-American Boy and Captain Africa (a Phantom rip-off) in movie serials, played The Lone Ranger for most of one season. People weren’t fooled, and Clayton Moore was brought back.

IIRC, Judd Holdren played Commando Cody on TV. George Wallace played Commando Cody in the movie serial Radar Men of the Moon. To keep things complicated, Judd Holdren played scientist Larry Martin in the movie serial Zombies of the Stratosphere, and Martin wore the same costume and used the same sets and props as Commando Cody. Orginally they had been used by Professor King, otherwise known as Rocket Man, played in the movie serial King of the Rocketmen by Tristam Coffin.
None of the costumes or sets were particularly expensive, but reusing them allowed Republic Studios to reuse stunt and special effects footage.

Two different actors did the voice of Barney Rubble in the first Flintstones series.

Wow, here’s an oldie but a goodie. I’ll shoot it over to Cafe Society, created for just this kind of thing.

If you incluse James Bond, should you include Sherlock Holmes. According to http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=50722 He has been played by “some 75 actors in 211 films”

Dracula is up there too…

Brian

Who IIRC also appeared as a female Q in an ep of Voyager. And Majel Barrett played four characters: Number One; Nurse Chapel, Luaxanna Troi and Computer Voice (of course if you count each ship’s computer voice as a separate character her total goes up).

Yep, that was Suzie Plakson. Not only did she play the hot Andorian chick in Enterprise, she played the hot female Q in Voyager, and the hot Klingon chick K’Ehleyr and the hot Vulcan chick Lt. Selar in TNG… :slight_smile:

Eric