*Is there a Little Fairy In Your House? *

“Is Steve Wall there?”

“No.”

“Is Dave Wall there?”

“No.”

“What about Amy Wall?”

“There are no Walls here!”

“What’s holding up your house, then? Toothpicks?”

How 'bout the one where the buxom woman goes to the doctor. He gets out his stethescope and puts it on her chest and says, “Big Breaths”. She says, “Thank you, Doctor!”

Reminds me of this episode of Angry Kid. Any of you pranksters ever get a response like that?

In “a” can or in “the” can is not significant. It wouldn’t be at all unusual for some folks to say “Yeah, we’ve got it in the can or we’ve got it in the pouch.”

Can = toilet does not apply in this case. If that were the case, the punchline would be different. People don’t need to be let out of toilets.

Prince Phillip is married to a ship?

If we’re talking about the Prince Consort - and Guinastasia rightly points out that the picture on the cans is actually Edward VII - then the answer is ‘only indirectly’, as the penile peircings seem to have been named after ‘Prince Albert’ watch chains, which, in turn, had been named after Queen Victoria’s husband.

As I said, the joke doesn’t make a lot of sense either way. Of course Prince Albert couldn’t actually be in the can of tobacco either. Clearly many people think that the joke refers to the toilet. That’s the way I’ve always heard it.

Bart Simpson: Is my mom there? Her name’s Amanda. Last name, Huggenkiss.

Moe, at Moe’s Bar: Amanda Huggenkiss! I’m lookin’ for Amanda Huggenkiss!! (Customers ROFL) Why, you little…

Bridget: (inspired by Nott’s made-up joke name, calling Miller’s Bar on a cell phone from the bar) Is Anita Nothershot there?

Bartender Melissa: Anita Nothershot? Anita Nothershot!!

Customers: Over here! Anita Nothershot right here! I 'Nita Nothershot!

Melissa, spotting her sister on the phone: I’ll get you for that, Bridget!

[QUOTE=Malacandra]
Brit checking in:

The batting order at the moment is:

Charles
Charles’s sons in order of age (William and Harry)
Andrew
Andrew’s daughters in order of age (Beatrice and Eugenie)
Edward
Edward’s daughter
Anne
Anne’s son Peter
Anne’s daughter Zara.

As soon as William or Harry becomes a father, Andrew and everyone below moves down a seat.

Philip is somewhere down the list, as IIRC he is a descendent of Queen Victoria, but before he could get the crown there would have to be an avalanche of suspicious deaths that would make all of the Diana conspiracy theories look like starters.

How long before you get to King Ralph?

To defeat caller ID prefix the telephone number with –
Touch Tone use *67 or 1167
Pulse Dial use 1167.

I don’t get it. Is the can attached to the chain? Wouldn’t they rattle as you walked around? Or is the chain kept in the can?

Well, this thread is certainly in the process of demonstrating, once again, that analysis is the death of humor. Of course, the joke was never all that funny, except to children.

I first heard the joke about “Prince Albert in a can” in 1955 at a pajama party; I was 12. The joke was in the silliness of getting one over on the tobacconist (so we thought) and in the ridiculousness of a man being able to fit into a tiny can. No one said this was great wit. It was another couple of decades before I became familiar with the slang use of can and even then, it first referred to the buttocks and later to the room. (I am describing only my experience with the word.)

Once I described an autographed picture to another Doper. It was a family portrait made in the throne room in the palace in Monaco. I had it hanging in my own throne room as a joke. The Doper never missed a beat. "Oh, he said, “then you really do have Prince Albert in the can.”

SamClem, I was about to point out that the expression {i]Prince Albert in the can* as used in 1945 must have referred to the container and not the toilet since no one would suffocate in a toilet. On reflection, however, I think it entirely possible that Walter Winchell had that potential.

I remember trying out one with a friend that I later saw, (perhaps where it originated?) on Sesame Street:

Me: Hey, is Bobby there?
Them: I think you have th wrong number

::later, same number::

My Friend: Yeah, hi, I’m looking for Bobby
Them: I’m sorry, there’s no Bobby here

::repeat a few times. Then, a little later::

Me: Hi, this is Bobby. Did I get any messages?

GAAAHH HAHAHAHA HAAHAHAHEEEHEE!!

Oh, and my fav, which will be really hard to explain here: calling 411.

I need the number for an Irving Me(Jewish-sound like your clearing your throat)a

*Sure Sir, could you spell that please?

M E (echk-sound, echk-sound) A*

You’d get some great reactions listening to them struggle with that one.

OK not a phone prank but following the double meaning trend with a quick highjack…

Customer in restaurant studies menu and calls waiter over, “Erm, I think I’ll have the chicken pissholes”

Waiter, “What?! Oh I’m terribly sorry sir, there appears to be a typing error on the menu. It should read as an “r” not a “p”…”

Customer, “Well OK, I’ll have the chicken arseholes then.”

BTW I too thought this thread would be about the use of sex aids in toilets. Says something about my dirty mind I guess…

I never thought twice about it as a kid. Prince Albert in my mind was a regular sized guy, but for whatever reason, he got stuffed in the little can. Poor dude. To me that meant let that guy out, sort of like a jeanie getting out of a bottle. I never thought about him being locked in the bathroom, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way as well. When we were little, “can” to us meant something other than the place to go to the bathroom, although later on, we learned the “can” meant that too. My first recollection that “can” meant something other than what food came in was from my grandmother. Grandma used to say she was going to “tear up your can” if you misbehaved. That meant you were about to get your tail torn up if you didn’t behave. So it wasn’t until later in life that I learned that "can’ meant the bathroom, in which case Prince Albert in a can, always means to me this guy that is inside the metal container that Prince Albert tobacco came in.

The version I heard:

“Big breaths”
“Yeth, and I’m only thikthteen!”

The only thing worse than Prince Albert in a can is zombie Prince Albert in a can! Run for the hills!

“I will not buy this record, it is scratched!”
“No, no, this is a tobacconist!”
“I will not buy this tobacconist, it is scratched.”