Privacy when registering copyright

What’s your argument? The question was about why pseudonyms are allowed. They’re allowed because it’s in the public interest to allow them.

Okay, so the author is allowed to use a pseudonym, and the work will still be protected by copyright. I get that, in terms of law. But how does it work in practice? What happens when the true author finds that the work has been copied, and the illegal copier claims to be the true author? If I used a pseudonym, how can I prove that I am the true author?

So what will that legal advice be? I’m not asking for details, just in general terms, what can be done in such a situation? I’m trying to understand how there can be some sort of overlap between “I’m not telling anyone who wrote this” and “I’m the one who wrote it!”

If you end up in court you will very likely have to surrender your anonymity. Until then you can operate through an agent, such as your lawyer. A court won’t let your wish for anonymity trump the other party’s ability to put on a case.

See pages 8-10 of the Cockygate transcript for some idea of how that might work out.

I wonder if the best way to maintain privacy would be:

1–Author forms an LLC using an attorney, whose name/firm would appear in publicly accessible state records [usually secretary of state’s records]. Attorney/client privilege protects author’s identity unless ordered by court to be revealed.
2–Author assigns copyright to LLC.
3–LLC registers copyright.

“If an author’s name is given, it will become part of the Office’s online public records, which are accessible by Internet. The information cannot later be removed from the public records. You must identify your citizenship or domicile.”

–What if the author/registrant *sells" the copyright to another party?

The original author still has to be identified and the claimant has to state how ownership of the copyright was acquired.