Private equity profiting from failure

When you do that are you then drawing all your profits from debt that you then make someone else responsible for and leave the house a worthless pile of shit?

Again, do you have a specific example of a private equity transaction where this happened?

I have to be careful about detail, as I could give enough away to get in hot water with my employer.

But, I have witnessed this first hand. I am a sr. manager (salaried employee) at a company which has been purchased by a private equity firm. The entity is (was) profitable. They borrowed huge money and used it to pay a dividend to themselves, and now the company is failing under the debt load.

I am at a high enough level to see glimmers of the glee with which they rape and pillage. They fully expect things to get worse, but will sell off the bits and pieces when things get too bad, and let what’s left sink.

Back to the house analogy: They bought the house, took out an equity line for 150% of the value, and are ripping out the copper and fixtures to sell. When they’re done they will let the bank forclose. Layoffs, cuts in product quality, you name it they are all happening.

It’s sad, it’s not not moral or ethical, and as far as I know it is legal. I wish I could tell you who it was, but I don’t dare.q

Sounds like the lenders didn’t do due diligence. Or the PE firm committed fraud.

Of course, if this were a significant proportion of what PE firms do, then banks would no longer lend them money.

I gave SFDC example above; there are more in a report I link to below.

Are these mutually exclusive? If a case can be made that a lender did not “do due diligence” does that mean the borrower did not commit fraud?

Just like with home mortgages, venture capital gets sliced and diced. Banks are happy to participate in profitable ventures, as long as any fraud is non-prosecutable. Junk bonds are passed to those with an appetite for junk.

Here’s another article that sheds light on capital impairment committed by leveraging capitalists: