Pronounce "default"

And how about “gone”? Rhyming with Don or fawn.

For me, default gets pronounced both ways depending on context, just like “the”.

Sometimes dee-fault
others duh-fault

thee/the:D

Yep for me. If a noun or adjective, stress on first syllable. If verb, on second.

Um…all three of those rhyme with each other, and also with dawn, spawn, and Sean/Shawn.

Different meaning of “accent”.

Stress on the first syllable when it’s a noun, stress on the second when it’s a verb: I’m going to the library to research it; I may have to do a a lot of research. Same pattern with default: he defaulted on his student loan, which is his default behaviour. It’s a common pattern in English when the same word is used as both noun and verb.

eta: or, on preview, exactly what markn+ said above.

It’s not just a curiosity, it becomes necessary when you’re teaching ESL: see my link above.

Some people make this distinction all the time (or try to), others do so only for certain words. I think that might explain the differences of opinion regarding this particular word.

I would bet big money that the verb “li-CENSE” is 2nd-syllable accented by only a tiny minority, if anyone at all.

I’ve never thought about it until this thread, but after trying out DEE-fault in several contexts, I can definitively say I never say DEE-fault. Always de-fault.

From this side of the Atlantic, it’s always “dee” rather than “duh”, but the stress will vary. I’m not entirely certain whether it’s simply a matter of euphony in relation to the rhythm of the phrase or sentence it"s used in, or to do with whether it’s being used as an adjective (“the DEE-fault position”) or verb ("he’s dee-FAULT-ed).

It may just be that that like “research”, “harass” and “exquisite”", it’s one of those words where the stress has simply wandered over time for reasons unknown.

“Throatwarbler mangrove”.

^ What a super woody sort of phrase.