Pronunciation of non-English words in old movies

Thought so. Thanks. I wonder if it was the same with “suspects”

In The Great Race, Leslie (Tony Curtis) says “The auto-MO-beel represents PRO-gress, in the most profound sense of the word.”

I wonder if his pronunciation was a product of the times or his humble NYC background?

In one episode of Star Trek, Kirk (William Shatner) says “The best defense is a strong O-fense.” Is this a common Canadian pronunciation?

I wonder how many examples like these are just idiosyncrasies of the actors and have nothing to do with their origins?

Nitpick: Rodeo (/ˈroʊdioʊ, rəˈdeɪoʊ/) is pronounced Roh-Deh-Oh in Spanish. It means many different things, but mainly a detour.

Germans use the loan word, but they pronounce it more Spanish than English.

I see from the schwa that the first vowel is not stressed at all. Interesting.

I need to go back and review my high school Spanish! :anguished:

Indeed: the stressed vowel is the “e”.

Am I correct in assuming it’s “das Rodeo” in German?

(I know, I could look it up, but I just like talking about languages.)

Yeah, you’re right, it’s das Rodeo.

You are not completely right (sorry, EinsteinsHund, I have a link): both das Rodeo and der Rodeo are correct:

Danke schön! :slightly_smiling_face:

Noch einmal! :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, it’s the Duden, and I bow to its expertise, but I’ve never heard der Rodeo in the wild. And I would correct everybody who used it, I’m that kind of person. :wink:

I have always wondered why a private publishing company like der Duden thinks they have the authority to define what is right and what is wrong in German, that is appropriation in my book, but there you go. They get away with it. I also thought it was das Rodeo, but I checked just in case (I am that kind of person too :grin:)

IIRC, most (if not all) loan words in German are neuter. Though I suspect it depends on when they were incorporated into the language (e.g., pre- vs. post-WWII).

Russian is weird. In most cases, you can tell the gender of a noun from its ending. There are, however, some exceptions that I suspect even most Russians can’t explain.

F’rinstance, salyami should be neuter, but it isn’t. It’s feminine because it’s a type of sausage (kolbasa). Kofe should also be neuter, but it isn’t. It’s masculine, presumably because it’s a beverage (napitok).

I’m sure there are other examples, but these are the first two that come to my mind. They’re also both loan words (from Italian and Arabic, respectively).

That’s the only explanation I have for that seemingly, der Rodeo is ok in German, because -o is a “masculine” ending, like -a is feminine (but of course not always, that’s the way languages are).

Interesting. Shall we open a new thread tomorrow? I have to go to bed now, but those are the things I can speculate about forever. Salami is feminine in German and Hungarian, where Russian probably took it from, but it is masculine in Italian, where it is called salame, which is closer to Latin.

Also, Russian nouns that end in a soft sign are usually feminine, but not always. Some are masculine, and (as in German) you have to memorize the gender at the same time you learn the word.

I’d love to have a thread devoted to languages. I too could go on forever!

Right; that was clarified above. Still, what I wrote is closer to the original than the way most Americans pronounce the word.

Right, we need something like the Académie française to decide what is and isn’t correct German. :wink:

The matter of which genders various languages use, how they mark for gender, and which parts of speech they mark for gender is very complicated. You might start by reading the Wikipedia entry on this. This is an important enough subject that there are entire linguistics textbooks analyzing the different ways that various languages handle this topic:

How is that appropriation? All publishers set their own house rules. Some publishers’ house rules start to gain acceptance from and adoption by outside parties. That’s not appropriation; that’s just market dynamics in the same way that all language is subject to market dynamics. That is, the collective decisions of individuals.