PSP and DS now out - pick your pony

DS.

Reserved mine back when I found out that they where taking pre-orders for it.

I see the Logic in waiting for a Price-Drop from not being on the Bleeding-edge of tech/ Early Adopter. My situation was one where, when I began to think about buying a GBA in earnest, I knew of / heard of the DS, and its abillity to play GBA carts. (I had the Original 1989 first Gen GB, a Pocket GB, and a GBC).

If you follow this line of logic, It essentially makes the DS 75 dollars… (for the DSness part of the system)

I recomend people read “Game Over”

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0679736220/qid=1112050736/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-4136437-3353513?v=glance&s=books

And you will understand how much Nintnedo worked to revive an all but DEAD ‘fad’ of the early eighties. Also, you we learn of Nintendo’s Efforts to get the ORIGINAL 8-Bit NES Online in America… back in the Eighties. How it brought back the industry after Atari Demolished it. (And how it continues after SEGA died)

Also, you will read about Sony’s pull out from Nintendo’s deal to make the Playstation tech. Into the next SNES.

Case in Point; You can’t cut your teeth on Mario, and then go running to Master Chief. or Crash Banidcoot… No wait, Crash isnt Exclusive… uh… You can’t cut your teeth on Mario and go running to <insert Sony only character>.
Am I a Nintendo Fan?

I think anyone who still has his Virtual Boy is indeed a Nintendo Fan.

If we can mention the N-gage… we have to mention the TI-80 line of Calcs. those are INCREDIBLY popular in schools. --And you can’t get yours taken away either.

I’ve got both. I intended to wait a while before getting the PSP, but I made the mistake of checking out a friend’s and immediately had to buy one.

If they were direct competitors, then the PSP would completely trounce the DS, no contest. The PSP is basically a portable Playstation 2 with less memory and a screen that is absolutely astounding. The DS is a hobbled Nintendo 64 that can play GBA games and has an extra touch screen.

But they’re not direct competitors. Nintendo’s is a good bit cheaper, it’s aimed at a younger (or at least, more wide-ranging “family”) market, and the games are designed around the touch-screen gimmick. Sony’s is aimed right at the PS2 audience – late teens to twenties; racing, sports, and music games. Nintendo’s aiming for novelty and “fun”; Sony’s aiming for slick and “cool.”

It all comes down to the games, of course, and I predict we’re going to see the same thing happen on handhelds that has happened on the bigger home consoles – Nintendo’s going to have a smaller library with some standout games that are just brilliant (e.g. WarioWare Touched), and Sony’s going to have a much much larger library with a few standouts that are flashy if not “classic” (e.g. Lumines and Wipeout Pure). The PSP’s just easier to develop for, because you can just treat it like making a PS2 game – you’ve got more to work with and don’t have to incorporate the touchscreen/Dual Screen gimmick.

I didn’t think much of the movie-playing capabilities of the PSP at first, but I’m impressed now. I ripped a few music videos and an episode of “Firefly” from DVDs last night, synced them over to my PSP, and can watch them here at my desk. It almost makes me wish I had to take public transportation to commute.

And Miller pointed out the other night that UMD movies (the disc format that the PSP uses) aren’t compelling enough to warrant buying a whole movie collection to replace your DVDs, but they’ve already announced the prices for movies at 10-20 bucks. So you could conceivably just go to an airport and pick up a copy of House of Flying Daggers or some such, just to watch on the plane, much as you would a hardback novel.

I will be surprised if you can’t rent movies on UMD through Netflix or at airport kiosks within a couple of months.

**SolGrundy **makes some great points – I think both will be successful. I think that overall sales for the PSP will be greater than the DS, but I won’t mind if I am wrong.

It’s infuriating because it’s true. I can’t stand manufactured “cool”, and I thought most people shared that sentiment. I can’t believe everyone falls for the whole Playstation package and its transparent, forced hipness (dark (read: dull), ultra-violent games with little innovation or whimsy - a jillion titles dedicated to the same sport, yaaawn). But then, I felt this exact same way back in 5th grade during the SNES/Genesis war…

I picked up a PSP last week, and so far I think it’s pretty brilliant, and revolutionary. Not for the games themselves, but because you can now take these games WITH you. The GBA SP was pretty cool when I was out and about and needed a quick gaming fix. But whenever I was at home, I always turned to the PS2 and the PC for gaming goodness. Playing with a GBA, I always would find myself wishing I was playing a “real” game. The PSP has changed that. The graphics, sound and gameplay are near-PS2 quality, and I can take it anywhere. I can game lying down on the couch or in bed. I can play during lunch at work. I can take it to the mall while I’m parked on the bench as the girlfriend goes and shops her heart out and be playing a game that ordinarily would have me chained to a console and TV set. Wi-fi, internet play and movies are just gravy. I can now play Twisted Metal with eight other people while sitting at my desk. If that ain’t cool, I don’t know what is!

PSP for me…

EZ

Manufactured cool and forced hipness, I agree with you 100%. But sometimes they can try to be cool and succeed, and sometimes they aim at a target market and hit it. And the PSP is just damn cool. The menu is cool. All the video tricks are cool. Wipeout: Pure is a relatively brainless game and so slick and flashy as to be shallow, but damn if that opening movie didn’t leave me speechless.

The thing about the PS2, and I see its extending over to the PSP as well, is that for all the GTAs and constant iterations of sports games and such, there are still gems like ICO and Rez and Katamari Damacy and Disgaea. It’s a hell of a lot more hit-and-miss than, for example, the Sega Dreamcast line-up, but sometimes the shotgun approach yields some great stuff.

And I can’t explain how excited I am at the prospect of the first Final Fantasy game for the PSP.

That’s a great point; even the weakest games I’ve seen in the PSP launch line-up are still full games. I picked up Tony Hawk Underground, and it plays pretty much exactly like the last full-on PS2 or Xbox version of the game. I was always impressed with the GBA versions of Tony Hawk, but more out of the novelty of it than feeling like it was an actual game.

And I hate to keep harping on it, but I’m still impressed with the thing’s capabilities as a video Walkman. I’d expected that it’d require a 1GB or higher memory stick to get video of any decent quality or length, but I can fit a full hour’s worth of good-looking video onto a 256MB card. I can totally see the demand for and prices of memory sticks going down and the capacity going up to where 2GB or more is actually affordable.

Do you actually have something to contribute, or do you simply want to crap in this thread?

Err…huh?!

In case you hadn’t noticed, we’re trying to discuss the two new handheld game platforms and their relative merits. If you intended your comments on the Playstation to apply to the Playstation Portable, you weren’t clear. If you were simply taking the opportunity to soapbox about how crappy video games are and and what a waste of time they are, you will find a more receptive audience elsewhere.

The thread is about the PSP, so why wouldn’t you assume the Playstation I’m talking about is the Portable one? BTW, “entire Playstation package” = Playstations in general, from One to Portable, but specifically the one on topic.

Because “Playstation” is 8 letters longer than “PSP” and therefore does not seem to me to be a likely abbreviation for it?

If you thought most people shared your opposition to manufactured “cool” and that “everyone falls for the whole Playstation package,” would that not cause you to doubt your own assessment of its cool as “manufactured”? Maybe it’s *actually *cool. I certainly think so, as do many others. Are we all simply led astray by the mind-controlling advertising prowess of Sony?

On the games side… if you’re talking about the whole Playstation line, I would like to point you to the SSX series, which is neither dark nor ultra-violent. Or perhaps Katamari Damacy? Parappa the Rappa? Dance Dance Revolution? Even in the launch titles for the PSP, we can find titles that are neither dark nor ultraviolent – Lumines springs to mind.

I think you may be letting your preconceptions cloud your thinking.

Uh…perhaps! That is the point of advertising, isn’t it?

Besides being a sports game, SSX is a pan-platform series, even having tites for the PC and GBA (my Sims play that, don’t they?). DDR is an arcade port, as well as being multi-platform, so they don’t really contribute to the PS image. Parappa, Katamari, and Lumines are interesting exceptions, but they aren’t really indicitive of the overall PS image. The PS library is still mostly sports and murky bloodfests.

Preconceptions about what? Why would I make up preconceptions about a video game console line?

I think the PSP is vastly miscalculating what kinds of games make good portable games. Or, more likely, they are trying to create a new market that may not ever materialize.

The PSP is putting it’s bets on sports games and first person shooters. They are aiming for a young male gaming market and not a lot else.

But I’m not sure this is the right route for portable games. Traditionally portable games are more oriented towards puzzle games, turn-based games of all sorts and recently tactics games. People traditonally want games that don’t ask for a lot of immersions, can be put down quickly, and can be played without sound. They want something they can play on the bus, or quietly during class, or while they are waiting to meet someone. Do you really want to play a shooter on a bus?

Portables also attract a wider market. Not everyone wants to sit at home playing console games, but everyone can see the appeal of having a game they can take with them. Cheap entry prices, unintimidating games, and games with broad appeal make portable systems popular among all sorts of non-gamers, including chidren.

I’m not sure Sony’s plan is going to work- and disappointing sales thus far bear this out. The low battery life implies that they expect gamers to do a lot of their PSP gaming at home, which I’m not sure that gamers really want to do. Their market of hard-core young male mostly-non-geek gamers is too narrow, and the unit is to expensive to really attract any new markets. Their sports games (except the racing games) lack in the actual game play and seem like hobbled verions of the console games. A few of the games seem spectacular, but not enough to make me want to shell out $250 when I’ve got a perfectly good PS2 sitting right here.

Meanwhile, Nintendo is doing a lot better with the DS than I ever thought. I figured the touch screens were just a gimmick and we’d just be getting more of the same. But nearly every game really uses the touch screen and we are seeing entirely new game concepts emerge. The games are well-suited to portable play- I can’t think of anything more brilliantly portable than Animal Crossing. I’m really excited about a lot of games on the horizon- Ninetendogs, Electroplankton, Pac-Pix…all games that will use the touch screen fully, be fun to play on the go, and have a broad appeal. I think the sucess of Katamari Damachi is inspiring Nintendo to finally start bringing out some of their wackier games in the US. Nobody does wacky and Japanese as good as Nintendo. It’s a good market, and I think it’s one that is going to grow.

We are reaching a time when games have movie budgets without anywhere near the market that movies have. Something has go to give at some point, and I think Nintendo is recognizing that. We are reaching the point that the raw human code-writing power required to keep up with the best graphics and best systems is too expensive to make a profit off of, and certainly too expensive to take any risks with. Soon we will have a divide- between cookie-cutter sure-win games with the best technology and smaller, less-graphically intense (but perhaps more exquisitely designed) games with interesting gameplay. Nintendo and Sony are setting up their stakes. This is a bigger battle than just portable systems.

Are we talking about the same system? I don’t know of any first-person shooters available yet. I do know of several puzzle games that are available or will be soon. Lumines is arguably one of the best puzzle games of all time, and while it’s an awesome experience with a good pair of headphones, it can easily be played without sound.

There’s also Metal Gead Acid, an excellent turn-based tactics game, also easily enjoyable without sound (it got me though a very long conference call yesterday in fact). :wink:

Coming this month are Mercury and Smartbomb, both puzzle games that look very interesting. I’m looking forward to Namco Museum for some old school gaming updated with wireless support too.

And further down the line will be the inevitable Final Fantasy game (called Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII). I’m sure we’ll be seeing other RPGs and tactics style games as well.

Regarding the focus on sports games - I think the market is probably there. They don’t really interest me (I’d rather play 'em with 4 players on my friend’s big screen) but the wireless multiplayer makes them somewhat compelling. I’d agree that they’d be the wrong thing to focus on exclusively, but I don’t think that’s what Sony’s doing. They seem to be focusing on pretty much every genre, which would explain why at launch day they already had as many games available for the system that the DS does (meaning games made just for the DS of course).

There’s lots of potential for the PSP’s memory stick too. There’s an option to run games from the memory, and the rumor is that there will demos available to download soon. If they put out a few traditional mobile-style games (Bejeweled, Tetris, etc) I think they’ll get a huge response.

One thing they need not focus on is the UMD movies functionality. I can’t imagine anyone really being sold on the system for that. I watched five minutes of Spiderman, and will likely never have another movie in there again. Don’t get me wrong, it looks great, but I’m not buying copies of movies just to watch on the PSP.

However, I am willing to copy videos from my PC to the memory stick. Sony is making the process surprisingly easy. I’m taking a few episodes of Arrested Development with me to the mall today for entertainment while my wife is looking around. :wink: