[QUOTE=WhyNot]
There are all sorts of competing pedagogues that are anathema in the mainstream American school system. Rote learning is out. Repetition is out. Spelling and handwriting are so far out they’re invisible (my kid hasn’t had a spelling or handwriting course since second grade, and it shows.) Phonics goes in and out. Whole learning, Lab learning, book learning. More and more, schools are limiting not only content of what’s taught, but pedagogy - HOW things are taught. If your kid doesn’t learn well by those methods, he’s fucked. I’d prefer more flexibility and variety within the system, but I don’t think the level of flexibility and variety that would be optimal is possible within the system.
[/quote]
My daughter, who is now a sophmore in college, had plenty of spelling. No handwriting - but, come to think of it, when is the last time you did significant handwriting for someone else? I had lots in school (it didn’t take
) but only use cursive to scrawl my name these days.
I spent lots of time listening to how things should be taught, and the buzzword in our system wad differentiation- approaching each kid as an individual. For instance, kids who got all their spelling words right on the pretest shouldn’t have to do the busywork to learn them, but get more interesting assignments. But differentiation is hard for big classes, and even harder when “tracking” is considered a no-no. I went through school tracked, and I was hardly ever bored, thanks to being in class with lots of other smart kids.
All great ideas, but they take time and money. I’m all for making it easier for subject matter experts to teach, but can we afford them? I heard on NPR the other day that nursing teachers in community colleges can expect to make only 50% of what they’d make in a hospital.
As for expertise guaranteeing teaching ability, I direct you to probably 90% of teaching assistants in universities today.
Ah. Bingo!
We didn’t homeschool our kids (except for one year when my wife took them on an RV trip around the country for a book) but we did make sure they went on lots of factory tours. My wife worked from home, and was able to ramp her work as the kids got older, which helped a lot. I think parents with kids in public schools can do a lot of enrichment without homeschooling.
I’d hope any parent saying homeschooling is right for a kid now in public school is at least heavily involved with the kid’s homework, and has read or at least skimmed the kid’s textbooks.